1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Adsense banning only low-end publishers?

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by spdude, Jul 22, 2005.

Was chating with a friend who just got booted from Adsense. Guy has a pretty popular forum and wasn't doing anything fishy. His only crime was he wasn't earning more than a few cents a day. His total earnings were $100 in the last five months.

He got that e-mail saying his account has been cancelled. My theory is that this is really random what Google is doing.. just to keep their reputation that advertisers interests are being protected every now and then a low-end publisher is kicked out.

People making five digits have nothing to worry about, even with CTRs as high as 60%. Does anybody agree?

spdude, Jul 22, 2005 IP
  2. TommyD

TommyD Peon

Best Answers:
    Just for my information, are you saying he's been only in adsense for 5 months?

tom

TommyD, Jul 22, 2005 IP
  3. spdude

spdude Guest

Best Answers:
    Yup.. only five months

spdude, Jul 22, 2005 IP
  4. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What's the point of even having an account if you can't make $100/month after nearly half a year ?

yo-yo, Jul 22, 2005 IP
  5. spdude

spdude Guest

Best Answers:
    well... he had plans.

In any case, he got the invalid clicks e-mail.. whereas there weren't any invalid clicks.. My theory is it was a random targetting of a low-end publisher, and nothing more. Since letting publishers like this go is no loss to Google.

spdude, Jul 22, 2005 IP
  6. sji2671

sji2671 Self Made Mind

Best Answers:
    Why would adsense ban a high earning partner? it would be basic economic sense for adsense to investigate further any problems with a sizeable publisher and therefore for publishers who earn $1-$1000 per month could fall on the sword a lot easier, not that I agree with it but its a reality.

Anyone making barely the payout value would be in a higher risk of not having their(googles) full attention when it comed to invalid clicks etc and the TOS does state extremely low earners can be cancelled.

sji2671, Jul 22, 2005 IP
  7. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    I agrre with Google. This type of advertiser serves no real purpose (no offence to your friend) and may in fact be a burden on the system. I know people that haven't looked at thier adsense account for months.

Homer, Jul 22, 2005 IP
    dkalweit likes this.
  8. clay15

clay15 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, $100 in 5 months isn't really that bad. At least it will cover the hosting costs.

clay15, Jul 22, 2005 IP
  9. letsmakeamillion

letsmakeamillion Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i think it is stupid to ban non performing publishers... maybe they had problems with the wife or something.. you never know, a few more months down the road they could be a top producer.. very dumb of google to ban sites for this reason

letsmakeamillion, Jul 22, 2005 IP
    mopacfan likes this.
  10. wissam

wissam Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ya , I earn lower then that so sure I will be banned ^^U

wissam, Jul 22, 2005 IP
  11. sji2671

sji2671 Self Made Mind

Best Answers:
    And if you were running a forum that made you a shit load of money and one guy popped in every now and again and pissed people off, would you give a second thought to "dealing with them" to maintain equilibrium?

Or if your forum made you say $10k a week and you decided to do some spring cleaning to help efficiency so you got rid of members who had never posted.

Shite, I'll just use your quote: "i think it is stupid to ban non performing publishers"
    Why would any advertiser want - non performing.

Oh they could be huge? - Well google has a few of them, its easy to bash them, but if you did what they did and had to make the decisions they do? ...........They do ok.

The same people that shit on google for being a big bad wolf are the one's that wear clothing that "may" be made in sweatshops etc who pay people cents for hours work but hey, it's all fair right because you wouldn't pay extra for your oil/fuel/sneakers but google is obviously the devil personified.

sji2671, Jul 22, 2005 IP
  12. spdude

spdude Guest

Best Answers:
    Ok, or not ok... wasn't the purpose.

Wanted to just point out that it is *only* low-end publishers who have their accounts cancelled (invalid clicks is just a BS reason, at least as far as this friend is concerned). The purpose is to *show* the public that Google has the interests of it's advertisers protected.

spdude, Jul 22, 2005 IP
  13. sji2671

sji2671 Self Made Mind

Best Answers:
    Naturally, its business! Of course low end publishers get banned B4 investigated.
    If a high end publisher had issues it would naturally be investigated further.

There seems to be a strange feeling that there is some un-balance here, i.e. google shits on the little guy and we don't like that because hey the little guy rules.

I guess this would be from the same people who walk past the little guy's shops to a supermarket where everythings cheaper, walmart,asda etc.

Do you buy your gas/papers/milk/clothing/groceries from the little guy who is way more expensive because you love the independant little guy deal?

If you shop for a bargain then don't dis google for trying to at least publicly defend its advertisers.

sji2671, Jul 22, 2005 IP
  14. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    There's just no basis in the initial post to jump to a conclusion that they are dumping "non-perfomers." Under that logic it's reasonable to say that adsense hating aliens have taken over google.

nddb, Jul 22, 2005 IP
  15. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Whats the point of filling a network with people who are just sitting there earning 5 bucks a month?
    I agree with Google, they should get rid of the non-performers, any network does that.

fryman, Jul 22, 2005 IP
  16. sji2671

sji2671 Self Made Mind

Best Answers:
    There have been reviews of sites and "look at my CTR" type posts that make me sigh, whats the future for adsense when so many people build shitty - worthless - crap sites with the intentions of stealing publishers money. It can only affect the genuine publishers and thats the shitty part.

sji2671, Jul 22, 2005 IP
  17. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree that publishers need to perform for the good of the whole system, but also remember that we were all there too, at some point*. I say give 'em a chance, but also scare them a bit so they get going and start producing.

* quite arguably I am still there.

exam, Jul 22, 2005 IP
  18. exaro

exaro Peon

Best Answers:
    It makes sense that they want to get rid of the low performing site, if they just have ads sitting, and they aren't trying to do better (which is what his friend sounds like) But if someone is actually working with the ads and building quality sites, but are having a hard time starting off, it would be a shame to see them go.

From sji2671:

I totally agree with that, I hate seeing sites with 80% adsense and then like 15 pages with a paragraph of vague information about their high paying keyword, that brings in 100+$ a day. They have like a white background, no CSS, 3 square ads, and a couple lines of text with a PR4 rank. It's crazy. (I'm not being specific, more like sarcastic)

exaro, Jul 22, 2005 IP
  19. sji2671

sji2671 Self Made Mind

Best Answers:
    Everyone deserves a chance, but I do wish google could vet every site.

The dross I see nowadays makes me think my earnings from adsense albeit volatile, well they could disappear thanks to the endevours of made for adsense shit.

Hey lets build a site and put 3 adsense blocks so that the visitors CANT SEE ANY TEXT OVER THE FOLD.

Great!

The only thing I have seen worse than that on this forum is the long line of replies to that thread that state, hey I'll try that!

sji2671, Jul 22, 2005 IP
  20. wissam

wissam Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think they must keep every user as long as he get some money no matter how much , it's better to be a humen and own a tiny site more then to be a robot and own a big site , and everybody know what I mean ...

wissam, Jul 22, 2005 IP