1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Adsense Banner Size

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by TwisterMc, Oct 8, 2004.

Ok, forgive me if this has been answered before but the search either didn't help, or returned to many bad possibilities.

What size of Adsense banners do you use and think are the most effective? Does it matter? More ads the better? Or are two, like at the top of the page, just as affective and one of the big five ad banners?

TwisterMc, Oct 8, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The bigger the ad, the better luck you will have. My best CTR channels (by FAR) are the ones running 336x280 ads with a white background and a white border.

digitalpoint, Oct 8, 2004 IP
  3. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    I've also noticed better CTR with white border white background. With white background of page of course.

I would imagine one big ad would do great.
    And if you have a long page maybe one medium at the top and one medium at the bottom. Then maybe set a channel for bottom and top and see how bottoms actually get clicked on.

Spreading them out will probably return relevant ads at both ends as well.

Such Great Heights, Oct 8, 2004 IP
  4. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    I run the default 728x90 4-ad block across the top of my page - so it sounds like I would be better off doing the monster ones ... although I'm reluctant to give up that much vertical real estate.

The white-on-white makes sense ... I suspect the less they look like ads and blend into the current page, the better off you are.

hulkster, Oct 8, 2004 IP
  5. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Will.Spencer, Oct 8, 2004 IP
  6. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ahh, Will, everytime I read that article I learn something I forgot to do on one of my sites... and bookmarked.

NewComputer, Oct 8, 2004 IP
  7. Ajeet

Ajeet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Cool article. Query: Now that we are allowed to place multiple ad units, in case google has ads for one box, but not for the other, will it place the alternative ads there? I ask specifically because earlier alternative ads were shown where PSA might have appeared otherwise. But, now in the unused AdSense boxes, nothing is shown.

Thanks
    Ajeet

Ajeet, Oct 8, 2004 IP
  8. paradox

paradox Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Very well done and helpful article Will - thanks

paradox, Oct 9, 2004 IP
  9. melfan

melfan Peon

Best Answers:
    skycraper and leaderboard are the best earner for me. I used both on content section, skycraper on left side and leadboard at the top or bottom page.

melfan, Oct 10, 2004 IP
  10. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Most of my pages now have two AdSense ads shown. When Google can't find an ad, a TargetPoint ad is shown.

The one odd thing is that sometimes AdSense can't find an ad for the first unit, but then succeeds at finding an ad for the second unit.

I am hoping to write a follow-up article incorporating strategies for the new multiple-ad functionality... once I figure out some better ones.

Will.Spencer, Oct 10, 2004 IP
  11. Ajeet

Ajeet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That is definitely odd, as the google FAQ says that should not happen. You are saying first as in first in HTML code, not first as it visually appears in the page right?

Ajeet

Ajeet, Oct 10, 2004 IP