1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

AdSense and Kontera... finally allowed - for small publishers too!

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by jcomm, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Chris369

Chris369 Peon

Best Answers:
    To a Kontera staff member ... I sent an email to you but haven't had a reply yet.

How do I get paid? I can't see anywhere to enter an address or PayPal?

I've got a feeling I might have entered it when registering but I can't remember.

Chris369, Mar 10, 2007 IP
  2. dark0circles

dark0circles Peon

Best Answers:
    it's already day 8 and on average i get $0.04 per click ... do you think that i should pull out? ( as i mentioned previously , my adsense did drop )...

dark0circles, Mar 10, 2007 IP
  3. Sockmoney

Sockmoney Peon

Best Answers:
    My 2 cents... If you are doing well with Adsense, don't get greedy. Adding another advertiser "in-text", even if it does not lower your Adsense, will most likely annoy your visitors with too many ads going on.

If you are not doing well with Adsense, then swap Adsense out and try Kontera. Using both is just overkill in my opinion!

I know I get annoyed at sites that ad me to death, and I don't send them feedback... I just leave and don't come back.

Sockmoney, Mar 10, 2007 IP
  4. RomanticGuy

RomanticGuy Active Member

Best Answers:
    dark0circles,
    If you are making less money overall with the Kontera ads, it sure sounds like you should be considering some changes. Moves I am contempting are taking a look at the Kontera ads being served up on your site. If there are ads that are not relevant to your website, work with Kontera to have them filtered out. Consider how many Kontera ads are on the page. If your pages are covered with Kontera ads, ask that the number of ads per page be reduced. Since eCPM is a consideration for displaying ads, lots of ads means including lower paying ads. If you limit it to 5 Kontera ads, they should be the 5 best performing and most relevant ads. Eliminating non-relevant ads and reducing there overall number may also allow your Adsense earnings to bounce back. Something to consider...

RomanticGuy, Mar 10, 2007 IP
  5. Chris369

Chris369 Peon

Best Answers:
    Sticking with just AdSense is asking for trouble though. Don't stick all your eggs in Googles basket, trust me.

Chris369, Mar 11, 2007 IP
  6. alejandro

alejandro Active Member

Best Answers:
    Come on geomark, whats the need for the sarcasm?

alejandro, Mar 11, 2007 IP
  7. inSaneELF

inSaneELF Guest

Best Answers:
    Did someone say there was a way to change the number of in-text ads that show up? If so, how?

inSaneELF, Mar 11, 2007 IP
  8. NewToAllThis

NewToAllThis Peon

Best Answers:
    Email Kontera and request a specified number of ads.

NewToAllThis, Mar 11, 2007 IP
  9. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I got acceptance letter yesterday - yippee!

Put the ads on 3 pages and they started early this morning. I have noticed something a bit troubling. Some words are getting the double underline and when they are hovered over the ad says Loading and then the pop-up disappears and the highlighted word or phrase returns to normal as if it wasn't an ad.

This would seem very counterproductive for both publishers and advertisers and the program as a whole. Am hoping it's related to this being only the first day.

Also doesn't seem to be consistant about the number of ads per page - but, this could be related to inventory more than anything else.

Am I correct in that anything that controls which ads are displayed, which keywords/phrases are blocked, etc must be requested rather than done through the admin area?

I would suggest that Kontera make it part of how their program functions would include excluding heading tags, bold and italic text, and anything using the code tag. With the headings and bold/italic the ads, while they do stand out, also ruin the pages overall look and feel. And it really messes up code examples.

I know I could surround those sections with the appropriate Kontera tags, but then I would have so many mentions of those phrases that my page would begin to be optimized for Kontera rather than the topic they discuss. Trust me, I learned this the hard way - use of the same word or phrase in comment tags will begin to get you optimized for that phrase and since the phrase doesn't appear onpage, I would assume it puts one at risk for black hat SEO penalties.

YMC, Mar 12, 2007 IP
    RomanticGuy likes this.
  10. ThisBuzz

ThisBuzz Peon

Best Answers:
    I think a little work needs to be done on both applications

I have just started out and have both on my site .. I have been fortunate in that Kontera is seeming to be more accurate on certain content, unfortunately it currently only pays an average of 6c per click

there has not been a drop off in the click thrus for Adsense and what Kontera is showing is that a variation is needed for my site

for example if Adsense gave 100 clicks per day, this amount has not dropped off and yet Kontera clicks are close to 100 a day from the start

so there was a need for it judging on current stats

currently I see Kontera as supplemental, I have not put it on all the pages of the portal

I will also need to filter out certain Advertisers

Currently I see it as a bonus, that I am sure will change when the click thru average payouts do not improve

There is work to be done

ThisBuzz, Mar 13, 2007 IP
  11. mate_pl

mate_pl Active Member

Best Answers:
    One suggestion from my side...

I am using CSS on my site and titles and all letters in the titles were capitalized. If Kontera recognized any words in title, these words are double underlined and colored but are written in small caps.

Could this be fixed? Should I write capitalized titles or it would be the same?

mate_pl, Mar 13, 2007 IP
  12. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    FYI FWIW: I wrote a while back in this thread about an issue with the images if you are using CSS to set IMG attributes. My Kontera rep confirmed the problem exists and says the developers are working to fix.

hulkster, Mar 13, 2007 IP
  13. KonteraSupport

KonteraSupport Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi Chris369,

You entered your payment info for a check. If you'd like EFT or PayPal, just send an email to support at kontera dot com and we'll send you everything you need. We pay Net 30, first week of the month, when your balance is $100 or more.

Thanks,

Jack
    Kontera Support

KonteraSupport, Mar 13, 2007 IP
  14. KonteraSupport

KonteraSupport Guest

Best Answers:
    HI inSaneELF --

NewToAllThis is correct. Just send an email to support at kontera dot com and we will take care of reducing the number of ContentLinks per page, blocking certain words from ever being marked or blocking advertisers that you don't like. We are working on a number of items to provide publishers with more controls in the very near future.

Regards,

Jack
    Kontera Support

15. KonteraSupport

KonteraSupport Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi YMC --

HI inSaneELF --

We are working on a number of items to provide publishers with more controls in the very near future. Staying out of italics and headers is one of those items coming soon.

Regards,

Jack
    Kontera Support

16. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Jack from Kontera Support,

What about the links that disappear on hover? Is that part of the 10 day adjustment or a problem that you are working on?

YMC, Mar 13, 2007 IP
  17. KonteraSupport

KonteraSupport Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi YMC -

Sorry, I forgot to address that question.

Disappearing links are a problem with the algorithm thinking that it has an advertisement, but when it goes to "fetch" the ad from the advertiser, the budget for that advertiser has ended, and the algorithm doesn't have anything to display. Normally, this is more prevalent in countries outside of US and Europe, but it happens here as well.

We are planning a major upgrade to the algorithm to "pre-fetch" the ads as the page loads and this issue will be eliminated. We need about 5 weeks for that algorithm to be released.

Hope you can work with us until then -- your patience will be well rewarded -- this next release will be one of our biggest ever.

Regards,

Jack
    Kontera Support

18. Sockmoney

Sockmoney Peon

Best Answers:
    Very true. Very true. I guess my point is don't do too much advertising in one spot. For instance, if you already have an embedded Adsense ad in your content text, it might not be a good idea to embed even more ads in the same content block. Users may only take so much before moving on to another site (of course they may click an ad to leave... =) But that is not what we want in the long run!

I definitely agree with diversification of revenue stream, just don't overload any one particular section of your site.

Sockmoney, Mar 13, 2007 IP
  19. mate_pl

mate_pl Active Member

Best Answers:
    I was not talking about images, it's the different issue...

In the meantime I've changed one title from small caps to capitalized letters and it didn't show any Kontera ads. when I've returned it back to small caps, Kontera ad showed perfectly... For me, it is enough to conclude that Kontera likes small caps more... Please correct me if I'm wrong...

mate_pl, Mar 13, 2007 IP
    hulkster likes this.
  20. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Roger that your issue is different - just sharing my war story ... and I appreciate you sharing yours - thanks!

BTW, for those interesting in seeing the IMG CSS problem, take a look at whimsical watching grass grow page - typically "wireless webcam" is highlighted by Kontera and if you mouse-over, you'll see BIG images as my guess is they are inheriting my inline CSS IMG settings rather than doing their own.

hulkster, Mar 13, 2007 IP