1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ads To "Bad Neighborhoods"

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by digitalpoint, Jan 27, 2005.

1. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The amount of users world wide that use the internet in english is probably still larger for now. I am somewhat familiar with Japanese and Chinese since I have a brother who is fluent in both and has peaked my interest in both countries.

China is growing very rapidly in the internet due to the influx of wealth into China. Japan doesn't compare in size of sheer numbers.

You are right and I am not trying to argue. But for those who use the Co-op english is required if I remember Shawn's update correctly.

debunked, Jan 27, 2005 IP
  2. rtheodorow

rtheodorow Peon

Best Answers:
    Plus the costs of high speed Internet or really any Internet connection at all outside of the US really limits the outside growth for the time being.

rtheodorow, Jan 27, 2005 IP
  3. zamolxes

zamolxes Peon

Best Answers:
    Incorrect again.

Japan has 67,677,947 internet users - the 3rd country in the world for internet users.
    China has 87,000,000 internet users - 2nd
    Korea - 30,670,000 - 6th
    Italy - 28,610,000 - 7th
    France - 24,953,347 - 8th
    Brazil - 18,660,650 - 10th
    Spain - 14,095,951 - 12th

etc. etc.

Most of these will not speak English.

Stats are from NOV. 2004 and nothing is growing online faster than China, India and Easter European Countries!

On the other hand, as we are on an English speaking seo forum and network (coop) obviously English is dominant. I don't know how you can set and use language preferences/restrictions without getting a network weight distribution problem.

Also, as I wrote above, I think the ads validation via google is a good and soon necessary measure.

zamolxes, Jan 27, 2005 IP
  4. rtheodorow

rtheodorow Peon

Best Answers:
    Most of the online users from other countries speak English as well....especially in India.

5. zamolxes

zamolxes Peon

Best Answers:
    India .... a good percentage maybe.

Most other countries listed above (and many others not listed) - a resounding no.

Also, search engines move more and more towards "local priority searches".
    Try a search on google or yahoo in Asia. You will be diverted to the chinese, thai, indian, etc. google/yahoo were local and chinese, thai, indian etc. language websites have priority rankings.

6. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Geez, go have a chat somewhere else and stick to the topic.

fryman, Jan 27, 2005 IP
  7. rtheodorow

rtheodorow Peon

Best Answers:
    Just becuase there are sites out there in chinese, thai, indian or whatever doesn't make me want to advertise them on my site. I wouldn't take a client that didn't speak English (mainly because I couldn't communicate with them). So why should I have ad's on my site in other languages if I don't want to target that particuliar market?

8. zamolxes

zamolxes Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, your post really is on topic!!

I've already expressed my oppinion twice regarding the thread topic.

9. zamolxes

zamolxes Peon

Best Answers:
    As I said above, how would you resolve the network weight distribution for foreign language ads if their are not displayed on English websites?

10. rtheodorow

rtheodorow Peon

Best Answers:
    Ban them from the coop if they can't speak English :)...no I'm kidding. I guess there really isn't an alternative until the COOP shows more growth in non-English sites. Then the weight distribution could run correctly if the # were high enough.

11. zamolxes

zamolxes Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe the non-english websites joining the network should be required to have their network ads written in English.

Otherwise you could have (in theory let's say) an obscene Polish ad in the network linking to a decent looking page on a "dodgy" website ... would you be able to realize that easily? Would you need to check every foreign ad with the dictionary? Would you be willing to display possibly rubish or indecent text on your site without knowing what it is?

12. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    Who is to say if they are linking to a site that is in any way related to link text if coop has no one who can read page to which site is linked.

Shannon

Smyrl, Jan 27, 2005 IP
  13. rgeimer

rgeimer Guest

Best Answers:
    I would be happy if there was just some consistency in the character sets used for non-english ads. My site uses UTF-8, and has foreign language content, but the adds often show up as garbage because they often use another character set.

rgeimer, Jan 27, 2005 IP
  14. bigslowrock

bigslowrock Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, this has gone off topic.

bigslowrock, Jan 27, 2005 IP
  15. zamolxes

zamolxes Peon

Best Answers:
    Well then, what about the ads validation via google? Nobody else has anything to say about that?

The disadvantage is that, as written previously, you wouldn't be able to link to not yet indexed websites. However, that isn't such a big obstacle and I think the network will in the end benefit. Usually you can get a new website indexed by google pretty fast and without much effort anyway. Often even just one link will do.

The question is, for a deep linked coop ad (linking to an internal page on your website) would you need to wait until google has indexed that particular page, or you could create coop ads linking to any page on that domain once the home page has been indexed?

Also, I think it's not the same thing linking to a penalized site (but still in google index) and linking to a banned site.

16. HHI Golf Guy

HHI Golf Guy Guest

Best Answers:
    But English is considered the universal language. From Baghdad to Bahrain and almost everywhere else in the world you will see signage (and street signage) in English as well as that of the native land.

I agree that sites should be indexed in Google before being allowed to join the network. Personally, I do not accept any link requests unless the site (and any reciprocal link page) has been indexed by Google, Yahoo, and MSN. New sites with a PR0 are accepted (no gray toolbars please), as long as those pages are indexed.

Implementing this policy should not be considered as a penalty. All that the site owner needs to do is place links in a few directories and Google will pick up the site within a few weeks. It's not like a few hundred co-op links are going to rocket a site to the top of the SERP's right away. We all know that in most circumstances, for competitive KW's, the process takes time.

HHI Golf Guy, Jan 27, 2005 IP
  17. tennisplayer89

tennisplayer89 Peon

Best Answers:
    Mandarin Chinese is the "most spoken" language in the world. However, probably 80% of those people speak English as a second language. English is by far the most prominent language in the world. It may not be someone's primary language, but they can speak it. Look at these forums for example. Not everyone here is from the UK or the United States. Many people on these forums are from India. It depends on how you look at it.

tennisplayer89, Sep 16, 2007 IP