1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ads and image placement - The official word from Google

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by sri, Dec 18, 2006.

1. kiplarson

kiplarson Peon

Best Answers:
    Yah lol... I just did it a month ago and was about to try it on my bigger sites....

LAME!!!

kiplarson, Dec 20, 2006 IP
  2. star2323

star2323 Peon

Best Answers:
    Why doesn't the Adsense Terms and Conditions say anything about not placing images next to ads?

Unless I'm missing something there is nothing in there about images.

The other thing I don't understand is Google just sent an email several days ago with updates and news about Adsense and nothing was said about images by ads.

If Google really doesn't want people to place images by their Adsense ads then they sure the hell have not done a very good job notifying their publishers about it.

star2323, Dec 21, 2006 IP
  3. ian_batten

ian_batten Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why are you arguing with what it says on the official blog?
    I agree it was somewhat strange the did not mention it in the latest update, but if they have stated it, then there is no point in abusing it.
    Remember, G control your account, if they ask you not to display ads, they kinda mean it ;)

ian_batten, Dec 21, 2006 IP
    dudy255 likes this.
  4. Diddy1

Diddy1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Diddy1, Dec 21, 2006 IP
  5. dudy255

dudy255 Peon

Best Answers:
    if they are probably preparing email then it is good as many publishers may not know about this update thanks to dp as I come to know about this.

dudy255, Dec 21, 2006 IP
  6. duilen

duilen Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's about time. I've always thought placing images next to ads is deceiving in nature. I wonder if this was reducing the CPC in the gaming industry. I know it’s too early to speculate but my gaming related ads increased by 2-3X today.

duilen, Dec 21, 2006 IP
  7. born2win

born2win Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    huh. Same referral link from adsense blog in few mintues :p. Thanks for the info. Anyhow I am not using images in the ads.

born2win, Dec 21, 2006 IP
  8. kiplarson

kiplarson Peon

Best Answers:
    I bet that threads are being merged...

kiplarson, Dec 21, 2006 IP
  9. Mindaugasu

Mindaugasu Banned

Best Answers:
    What do you think can I put google image ad next to text ad?
    Here is a sample:

Attached Files:

Mindaugasu, Dec 22, 2006 IP
  10. ickle

ickle Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can put images next to ads, but you can't if it's attempt to convey that the ads are related to the images.

ickle, Dec 22, 2006 IP
  11. NameWolf

NameWolf Guest

Best Answers:
    What I dont' understand is that why a huge policy change such as this, is not CLEARLY announced and got CONFIRMATION OF ACCEPTANCE from publishers like they do when they change their policies on other things. Normally when they change something in the TOS, you login to your account and you need to accept the new policy before you can proceed into your account.

NameWolf, Dec 22, 2006 IP
  12. Diddy1

Diddy1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well you have to understand not everyone was using the image thing. Only those webmasters in these forums or in the know were using it. Think about how many websites do you see that use the image thing when they have adsense.

Thank you

Diddy1, Dec 22, 2006 IP
  13. NameWolf

NameWolf Guest

Best Answers:
    I see about 60-70% of the sites use images next to their ads.

When they change something in their TOS, it does not apply to everybody but they simply make you read through the whole thing and accept it again. That is what they should have done. Now think about the way webmasters would react if Google starts terminating accounts without any official announcements. Sure we read the news here at DP but there is a very big world of webmasters out there who does not read the adsense blog and never heard about Digitalpoint...

NameWolf, Dec 22, 2006 IP
  14. vic_msn

vic_msn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    this clarifies that we can use images but not related images.
    we cannot use a game icon next to a google ad in a arcade site but we can use some natural stock photos next to it. also a full border can help

vic_msn, Dec 22, 2006 IP
  15. obenix

obenix Eats an apple a day......

Best Answers:
    Sorry but this is NOT true.

I have a site that uses unrelated images. I also used borders, distinct line between images+ads, etc etc. In the past, I have had 3 confirmations from Google that my site is compliant with the TOS for my various implementations.

Upon hearing that Google is saying no to images+ad units, I immediately submitted a TOS compliance check request to Adsense team. Within 24 hours, they replied. Google says my site is not in compliance and specifically mentioned it is because I am aligning images with their ads (keyword bolded). Google further instructed me remove the aligned images from my site.

After a long day of image removals, I requested a re-check and Google now says that my site is in compliance. Phew...

My advise: Don't inteprete the Adsense blog post. When in doubt, contact the Adsense team.

obenix, Dec 22, 2006 IP
  16. bobisawsome7

bobisawsome7 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    How many official words have we heard so far? :D

bobisawsome7, Dec 22, 2006 IP
  17. Juan G

Juan G Peon

Best Answers:
    Naturally, because the recent Google cache of your travel site shows two designs that are of the same specific style of the two illustrations with noncompliant examples provided on the official AdSense blog. You can see your recent designs, before the removal of images, with a Google query of the type cache:example.com.

That is to say, in a design of your site, only a gray line separating -or rather uniting- images from unbordered ads. Like in the first Google's example. And, in the other design, an image completely united to an ad with the same exact background color, inside the same box and without any visible separation, forming an image+text ad unit. Like in the second Google's example. So, there are no borders around your ads, or a different background color, to make a distinction from nearby site images.

In both designs, it clearly looks like the images are part of the ads, the crucial point that AdSense Support has disapproved since a long time ago.

Juan G, Dec 22, 2006 IP
  18. dudy255

dudy255 Peon

Best Answers:
    yes true man I too have contacted adsense team and they too said no to me about images next to ads so I thinks we can not place images near ads either you put borders or different colors

dudy255, Dec 22, 2006 IP
  19. adbie

adbie Peon

Best Answers:
    Does that mean that if we do not align the image, then it will be fine? What are the ways to "dis-align" the images?

I wonder if there will be publishers who try to "push the envelop"... (we all know images can do magic for CTR...)

Anybody with any luck so far?

adbie, Dec 22, 2006 IP
  20. kiplarson

kiplarson Peon

Best Answers:
    Does yahoo allow images next to ads? If so, why don't people just do that? (I would myself, but I didn't get accepted to YPN.)

kiplarson, Dec 22, 2006 IP