1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Adding wifi to my desktop...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sarahk, Oct 31, 2014.

I work from home and have moved my office into a different part of the house. The old office that my husband still uses is where the ADSL line comes in and the router sits. It also has my desktop computer that I need to use occasionally but most of my work will be from my laptop in my new space.

It makes sense to move my desktop too BUT
    • being a desktop it doesn't have wifi but I can get a new network card or buy a usb dongle
    • it is our main "file server" to make it easier to backup files and therefore needs to be awake when my husband needs files - will it play nicely on wifi or do I just get him to get his head around dropbox/onedrive/etc and let that handle our backups?
    or do I leave it where it is?

sarahk, Oct 31, 2014 IP
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I have a mix of hard wired and wifi enabled desktops and laptops in my house. One desktop uses a USB wifi dongle with no problems. I cannot tell the difference in performance, access, etc., between the hardwired and wifi connected machines. Can see them all on the network from any machine, too. I have not done any formal performance testing, however, and other than my son's Xbox, there is not a lot of "strain" in the network.

I have not needed one, but there are special Access Points available that will increase the wifi signal to a section of the house that gets poor reception from the router.

jrbiz, Nov 1, 2014 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  3. samazgor

samazgor Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am a windows user, my elder bro too. I can download files from my elder brother's desktop very easily to my laptop via wifi.

I dont know if you are talking about something else :p

samazgor, Nov 2, 2014 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    @jrbiz - it's all working sweetly. Minor hiccup when I moved it as the battery to hold the clock had died so when I plugged it back in the bios etc were reset. $75 later, battery replaced, computer moved, belkin usb adaptor added and it's working just like it did on ethernet.

sarahk, Nov 6, 2014 IP
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Excellent. It is still on Ethernet, of course, just not hard wired Ethernet. :)

jrbiz, Nov 7, 2014 IP
  6. WaveInc

WaveInc Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes, do use a USB dongle. It's the cheapier, the easiest to install and works like a charm.
    One thing though, to stop you from frustrating, make sure you are in a range at least one step higher than 1 bar, it will save you a lot of headache.

WaveInc, May 18, 2015 IP