1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Adding Content to Directories

Discussion in 'Directories' started by swedal, Aug 6, 2009.

1. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Directory owners who solely rely on unedited submissions for each category's SEO are only short-changing the sites listed and are unlikely to see many non-submitting visitors coming in from the search engines.

IMHO this about using extra content as a way to help with SEO and topical indexing rather than recreating Wikipedia. On my first directory, a single mention for a term in a category description vaulted that page into the top 5 of the SERPs (it's #3 right now). It was one of those happy accidents - apparently it's a topic not well represented on the web. That page was seeing traffic for that term and a few others before I even had a listing in place.

I agree, the vast majority of the extra content being used on directories is useless fluff. Using Wikipedia, article directories and PLR content for category descriptions along with RSS feeds for news is useless - posting duplicate content is a waste of time on any site. Yet, that's exactly what most folks are doing when searching for "directory content".

YMC, Aug 7, 2009 IP
    Ibn Juferi likes this.
  2. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    Unless your directory is an authority niche directory or an extremely rich general directory (dmoz, botw,yahoo,...), nobody will come to it to search for sites. So you end up with a directory to list sites... (only for submitters). Nothing wrong with that as long as you admit it.
    However in this case what you are calling "useless info" is the least a directory can do to provide an added value.

enQuira, Aug 7, 2009 IP
  3. alistair80

alistair80 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    While I think listings (including it's title and description) make the most important content in a directory, its sometimes advantageous to have something else to "retain" visitors for awhile longer...

In one of his speeches, Matt Cutts had mentioned something called "Value-add" for directories and added that directories that actually go out looking for quality websites add value to itself than those that just sit idly waiting for submitters.

I had considered a blog before and I am happy for those who are able to keep their directory blogs updated but
    many good directories do not update their blogs (unfortunately) & I don't think this is desirable when it comes to visitor satisfaction and business credibility.

alistair80, Aug 8, 2009 IP
    robjones and swedal like this.
  4. Ibn Juferi

Ibn Juferi Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I believe that the next stage in the evolution of directories is for directories to offer content and latest news, the same way Yahoo! evolved to the stage they are now. Directories do not have to be extensive as Yahoo! however, they can still remain in the same format and provide additional and useful content related to the categories they are offering. The key now is how to attract visitors to directories and actually use them for that purpose, instead of simply visiting a directory, submit a listing, and then blast off without exploring further?

Ibn Juferi, Aug 8, 2009 IP
    swedal likes this.
  5. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Not true. People find their way to our directory via SE's and indexed listings. Other's actually search the site. This is fairly easy to track via the referrals shown in our logs and those that list with us.

Mia, Aug 10, 2009 IP
  6. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    They come from search engines is not the same as they come to your directory to search for sites. They may use your search feature if they actually find nothing in the page they landed in.

enQuira, Aug 10, 2009 IP
  7. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Like I said, they do both. ;) Referrals do not lie.

Mia, Aug 10, 2009 IP
    swedal likes this.
  8. Candise

Candise Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think the choice matters all that much for ranking. If you decide to use a new directory, just be sure to integrate it into the linking pattern of your site - so you are circulating some PR. It's pages that have PR, not entire directories.

Candise, Aug 11, 2009 IP
  9. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Just did that blog post about how to write a *good* description. I see a lot of submissions where the submitter is lucky we arent into simply clicking "accept" on whatever they shipped. I do try to make sure there are good usable keywords in there... cause the SEs do look.

See... Tips: Submitted Descriptions
    http://www.botwblog.org/submissions-tip-writing-good-descriptions/

robjones, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  10. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    Very nice topic swedal and excellent posts and… thanks God forum spammers have no idea what the hell all these people are talking about or we would have 20 advices to go to directory critic.

To answer you question swedal, everything goes when it comes to bring crowd to directory site. We tried to create content from the beginning by using Yahoo as beckon and even got listed by DMOZ in Portals Category and since then we’re trying to give to public more than just place to submit their links but something they may find useful as well.

News, stock, humor, music, tools, blog, forum etc. will find it user if you care enough to offer some but what we should never forget, is our main intent, our directory. No gimmick in the World will replace quality of good titles and descriptions and that is what we all should aim at.

[​IMG]

fastreplies

fastreplies, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  11. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @robjones nice post on descriptions - I just read it and loved it.

@fastreplies thanks we have been trying to get some good posts going here again. Hopefully it allow everyone to exchange some ideas on things that can be done to make improvements to directories and the industry going forward.

swedal, Aug 26, 2009 IP