1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Added to DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by MakeThatDollar, May 29, 2008.

How long does it take to get approved on DMOZ?

MakeThatDollar, May 29, 2008 IP
  2. BlohG

BlohG Banned

Best Answers:
    May be decades!
    Dmoz is such a huge directory where you just cannot be assured of a listing, if at all lucky could take years.

Best wishes

BlohG, May 29, 2008 IP
  3. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello :)
    There seems to be a misunderstanding here, so if I may be excused for copying what I wrote in another recent thread here,
    Having suggested your site to the correct category, you have done all you can to bring it to the attention of a volunteer. When someone is interested in looking at suggestions in that particular category, they might review your site. Or someone might find it in some other way, without ever seeing your suggestion. :)

makrhod, May 29, 2008 IP
    jjwill likes this.
  4. MakeThatDollar

MakeThatDollar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the help here guys.

As of 5/29/2008, here are the stats:

4,609,146 sites - 79,936 editors - over 590,000 categories

I wonder when the site # will increase by 3.. When it does, I hope all 3 of mine are approved. :)

MakeThatDollar, May 29, 2008 IP
  5. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    They all increase, but none decrease. If you get a listing the sites will jump up, if later your listing is removed it will not be subtracted. The same applies for editors, as there are seemingly only around six thousand left...

The numbers are also inflated due to automated listings that were added by bots rather then humans...

So ignore the fancy numbers please ;)

Qryztufre, May 31, 2008 IP
  6. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    This is good advice. :)
    The numbers are merely an indication of history+activity, and they should not be taken too literally.
    • The number of editors reflects the participation of all the volunteers who have contributed over the years, rather than the number of those currently active.
    • The site count is almost instantly inaccurate, as volunteers are constantly adding or moving sites and removing dead links, not to mention the activities of link-checking tools.
    • The number of categories is likewise variable, as there are always re-organisations under consideration.
    So it is best to consider these numbers as simply an indication that the directory is indeed alive. :)

makrhod, May 31, 2008 IP
  7. starlord

starlord Guest

Best Answers:
    the submission bit is quoting between 2 weeks and 3 months today ... but I'm not holding my breath :(

Starlord

starlord, May 31, 2008 IP
  8. MakeThatDollar

MakeThatDollar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If all the stats and information is inaccurate, why does DMOZ hold such high standards and ratings?

MakeThatDollar, May 31, 2008 IP
  9. jesrob

jesrob Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, that is interesting info. I was about to not never try again... I've been at it (submitting for 1 1/2 years) spaced-out in that time. I wonder how really important is it to get on DMOZ?! Stores on Line, my web builder suggests it. - Jessie

jesrob, May 31, 2008 IP
  10. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    High standards? Those are just something they stand behind when they don't want your site listed. If there really were high standards there it would not look the way it does now ;) :p Be sides, DMOZ has many double standards which they hold very dear, so inaccurate numbers certainly fit within that type of mindset.

The guidelines say "submit once" if you have been trying that leads one to believe you have submitted more then once. If you have pushed the line, you could be considered a spammer, and your site could not be blacklisted. Of course I have no way of knowing, but it can and most certainly has happened.

Of course, saying to actually follow the guidelines can be a bit shaky, so erm, maybe you are doing the right thing :eek: Though, likely not... the guidelines and most editors say "submit once" so that is likely the way to go. Stop trying and spend that time doing something that'll actually help your site, like submitting to a directory that actually approves sites at a respectable speed, writing additional content for your site (or article directories), or some other means of promotion.

DMOZ is after all, just a link. Granted it's a cloned to 100 other sites, but there is really no proof that such duplicate content helps in any respectable way, as for each plus that such a multiple listing has, there seem to be a downside that counters it.

Best of luck with your site promotion!
    Q

Qryztufre, Jun 1, 2008 IP
  11. kronikmedia

kronikmedia Peon

Best Answers:
    A few years ago I managed to get one my sites into DMOZ quite easily. However I have been trying to get my main website listed in DMOZ for almost a year now but no luck till now. I must say it is not easy as they never respond. At one time I Was seriously considering becoming an editor as I thought I could genuinely contribute. However to my surprise even that process never took place due to lack of response from their side. What more can I say. I have never come across a more unprofessional organization than DMOZ.

kronikmedia, Jun 2, 2008 IP
  12. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello kronikmedia
    As I'm sure you know, all of the editors are volunteers, and the only "professionals" are the AOL staff who operate the machinery. :)

However, I can assure you that every single new editor application is reviewed by one or more volunteer meta-editors, and a response is always sent to the applicant whether or not they are successful. Unfortunately, many people do not check their spam filter, so they do not notice the email telling them they have been accepted, or alternatively the one explaining why they were unsuccessful. :(

In any case, there is nothing to stop you from sending in another application, and you can do a lot to increase your chances of success by reading and following all the advice provided here.

Good luck!

makrhod, Jun 2, 2008 IP
  13. sanctamaria

sanctamaria Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I tired to be an editor, but because I did not list websites I had made years before (and unrelated to the category for which I replied) I was rejected. They must have decent ways of checking out your website affiliations. Or maybe a rogue editor?

sanctamaria, Jun 2, 2008 IP
  14. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello sanctamaria
    It is a common mistake for applicants to think that they need only mention affiliations relevant to the category they apply for, but in fact editors are required to disclose all their affiliations, so applicants are expected to do the same.
    However, as I have assured kronikmedia in the post above, you are welcome to re-apply unless you were specifically asked not to (which is very rare). Many applicants fail to complete the application properly the first time, but are successful on later attempts, once they understand what is required. :)
    Good luck!

makrhod, Jun 2, 2008 IP
  15. Solid_Nuts

Solid_Nuts Active Member

Best Answers:
    i got mine listed, didn't notice when it did :D but i'm guessing 6months to 1 year for me.

Solid_Nuts, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  16. sunnydhabhai

sunnydhabhai Peon

Best Answers:
    Wondering from long...How much ppls Ever seen Dmoz site listed in the GoogleSeach Result??

sunnydhabhai, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  17. definitive

definitive Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I tried submitting about 8 months ago. I just noticed it was accepted within the last couple weeks. Keep trying if need be it will eventually get there. Once it does you'll notice like 75+ backlinks from ODP in different languages

definitive, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  18. shadow575

shadow575 Peon

Best Answers:
    Multiple suggestions of the same or related URL's only goes to slow down the review process. I strongly recommend against it. Suggest it and move on.

Umm no, you usually won't see more than one or two (Regional and Topical if both are applicable). In the case of a site that is well translated in other languages you may get additional links for the various Languages, but only those cases that are not machine translations. A site written in 75+ different languages would be very, very rare in my experience.

shadow575, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  19. TightWad

TightWad Peon

Best Answers:
    I submitted on of my sites over a year ago and nothing. Along comes this visitor from another site, and gets me submitted in DMOZ in one day (he just happened to be an editor he told me on my software forum). He wasn't looking for DMOZ sites he was just looking for the software I had.

A complete fluke.

I stopped submitting to DMOZ because of this reason. Submissions (IMO) to DMOZ are worthless when one of their editors can come along and find your site to add it.

While I was lucky my chances of having my other sites submitted are worthless.

TightWad, Jun 6, 2008 IP
  20. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel Banned

Best Answers:
    I recall reading somewhere that over half the sites added to DMOZ were never submitted to DMOZ in the first place. Surely any directory that claims to be useful to the user and searcher would be shooting themselves in the foot if they relied solely on submissions. Can you ever imagine the really important sites (eg the White House; Nike; NIH; Microsoft; etc) ever submitting to directories. How useless to a user would any directory be without those sorts of sites listed? (unless the purpose of the directory is only to provide backlinks for SEO purposes)

Secret Squirrel, Jun 6, 2008 IP