1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Add-on domains have cons in SEO?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by sadiego, Nov 15, 2009.

Do search engines look at addon domains the same as they are looking at the main domain on that hosting plan?

Reason is....

I'm building websites and blogs on addon domains because it's cheap, but is there a problems in term or Seo? That's what I wish to know.

sadiego, Nov 15, 2009 IP
  2. zeekstern

zeekstern Active Member

Best Answers:
    As long as they are all closely keyword related, then no problem.
    Don't add a sub domain on cats if your main site is about dogs.

zeekstern, Nov 15, 2009 IP
  3. sherone

sherone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think so. I promoting with my addons domains 4 different niches (seo, health, travel, home decor).

sherone, Nov 15, 2009 IP
  4. sultanofseo

sultanofseo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    google cant tell whether they are addon domains or not. usually on a shared hosting environment, 300-500 sites are hosted on each server and each site share the same IP. as long as all your domains are not heavily linked together, google cant even tell the corelation. they are all running on same IP but so are other 300+ sites so no worries

sultanofseo, Nov 16, 2009 IP
  5. zeekstern

zeekstern Active Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting.
    I am familiar with shared IPs etc and is the reason why I always get dedicated IPs.:) But I am not clear as to how Google can assign different PageRank etc to different sites that share the same IP. In other words, Google must have a way of recognizing that there is more than one site associated with an IP address so that it can spider/rank each site differently. Or does it:confused:

zeekstern, Nov 16, 2009 IP
  6. trosquin

trosquin Active Member

Best Answers:
    IS and Add on domain the same as a subdomain?

A subdomain is treated as an entirely new website. It will have ZERO pr and zero backlinks. So I say to go for it!

trosquin, Nov 16, 2009 IP
  7. zeekstern

zeekstern Active Member

Best Answers:
    No. They are not the same.
    You can add a sub domain for free, which is basically just a folder/directory under you main root domain.
    For example, yoursite.com is the main/root. yoursite.com/mynewsubdomain is a subdomain. You can get to it using either, yoursite.com/mynewsubdomain OR mynewsubdomain.yoursite.com. You don't have to register a new domain name for this.

The add on domain will have to be registered but ends up being a sub folder/directory under your main domain. You do this through your web hosting control panel. And of course, when you register, you pay..

I don't know why anyone would want to do that, but you can:))

zeekstern, Nov 16, 2009 IP
  8. hootoo.com

hootoo.com Peon

Best Answers:
    I think Google does not like addon domains.

My friend and I both got an addon site up in the past (different main domains, different servers and IPs) and Google, or to say all search engines did not index them until the 40th day which was really annoying.

I also saw that someone else also said the same thing.

Regards

hootoo.com, Nov 16, 2009 IP
  9. banless

banless Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think that either one has any affect on seo. There are tons of companies that have 100's of add on's and sub domains in their account and all of their sites still rank pretty well. I do agree about the inner linking part, not a good idea to swap links on every single site you have.

banless, Nov 16, 2009 IP
  10. Canonical

Canonical Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    sultanofseo is correct.

If you are buying a different dedicate IP for each site you are likely wasting your money. I totally advocate having a dedicated IP... but not necessarily one per site... just one for you.

The reason you should consider getting a dedicated IP is to avoid what I call "guilt by association pentalties". For example, if you are using shared hosting w/ a shared IP and your site gets put on a server where 450 of the 500 sites are owned by some blackhat SEO building a link farm and that blackhat gets caught, Google sometimes will penalize the entire IP. And your site will get caught up in the blackhat's penalty. It's just too time consuming for Google to go through every site at that IP to determine on a one-by-one basis whether they are violating Google's guidelines.

Now if this happens, all you have to do is submit a reconsideration request. Once Google manually reviews your site due to the request, they'll lift the penalty. But that can sometimes take weeks and mean a lot of loss in traffic and possibly revenue in the meantime.

So you avoid the above scenario of getting caught up in a "guilt by association penalty" by getting a dedicated IP and putting ONLY your sites on the IP. That way, ONLY you can cause your sites to be penalized. But you generally ONLY need one and then add on your other sites to that one dedicated IP.

And the TCP/IP/HTTP protocols take care of resolving the fact that multiple domains can live at the same IP. Whether all of those domain have their own top level folder or some live in subfolders under other domains (add-ons) is irrelevant. If every site on the web had to have a dedicated IP, the web would have run out of IP addresses years ago.

Canonical, Nov 17, 2009 IP