1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Add-on domain v. purchase and registration of new domain

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by northpointaiki, Dec 27, 2005.

Hi -

I have one free add-on domain available on my current main website. I am looking to create another website. Anyone see a problem with creating the second website as an add-on domain, which will create a folder within my current website, v. the purchase of a separate website and hosting? Normally, I wouldn't ask and would go with the latter option. But cash flow is tight right now, and I am trying to do everything I can as cheaply as I can - unless it will do more harm than good.

If I go the add-on domain route, one problem I foresee is that I may get penalized by crawls which see unrelated content on the same website - unless the add-on domain is viewed as completely separate by all 'bots. Anyone know about this as well?

Many thanks.

Paul

northpointaiki, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  2. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    There is no problem with using an add-on domain. It will be seen as an entirely different site, but will share the same IP adress. There might already be serveral hundred sites sharing the IP as that is pretty common in a shared hosting environment. The bot will not know that it is an addon.

mjewel, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  3. topicalone

topicalone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Two things:

1)There is no penalty for unrelated content in the same site.

2) Bots are more concerned with the pages (read urls) of your site than folders.

So, the only concern(?) is, they both will belong to the same C class IP. Thats ok IMO. You are out to trick the SEs, are you?

My suggestion: Go ahead with addon domain if you have a tight budget.

topicalone, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  4. MKInfo

MKInfo DP Guard Dog

Best Answers:
    I am using addon domains for 3 sites with no problems at all.I have just taken out a reseller account with Asmallorange (as recommended on DP forum) and its great.You can host as many sites as you like from one account.Well worth it when you get the cash together and it is very cheap too.
    Good luck.

MKInfo, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  5. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    Many thanks all (and, Bob Wakfer/Compar, who was quite helpful via pm). I will go ahead with it.

northpointaiki, Dec 27, 2005 IP