1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Add a blog into an existing website - How can I include a blog without changing sites

Discussion in 'Blogging' started by mv5869, Mar 9, 2010.

How can I add Wordpress to an existing site without changing the rest of the site? I run an Poker website (http://www.firstpokertips.co.uk/) and want to develop it into the number one authority on strategy, tips, bluffing, poker calculators etc.

Most of my Poker site is content that I have developed myself. However I would now like to be able to post regular articles, poker tips, hints etc to a blog area. My plan is to leave most of the site as it is, but to add the posts to a blogging area. Using software like Wordpress would save me a huge amount of time because it can manage the organisation of the articles under tags, dates etc.

Is it possible to add a blog to an existing site without changing the other pages of the site? Can I use Wordpress or is other software easier to incorporate?

Any recommendations or advice from anyone that has tried it would be hugely appreciated.

mv5869, Mar 9, 2010 IP
  2. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    You can install Wordpress on a subdomain, or folder of the main root. For instance you could have blog.yourdomain, or yourdomain/blog.. It would be a completely separate installation from the site, yet easily accessible and linked to.

You can edit your main sites header.php file to add a menu link to the blog section.

The easiest way to do it, is to name a new folder on your root, for instance "blog" and when you go to install, open the Wordpress folder so that all of the files inside are showing, and Select All and copy the files to the new folder. If you install the Wordpress folder as is, you will get your installation on yourdomain/wordpress.

hmansfield, Mar 9, 2010 IP
    mv5869 likes this.
  3. mv5869

mv5869 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the advice. I'll try that this weekend and hope it isnt too techy for a newb like me.

mv5869, Mar 10, 2010 IP
  4. tbunch

tbunch Peon

Best Answers:
    It is very easy to install a wordpress blog. If you have hosting with a cpanel their should be an application called fantastico. Fantastico will handle the installation of the blog script and the needed database to support it. You must remember that you need to make a very strong password as this type of install is full of security risks - don't be too concerned. In the beginning this will be fine just realize that you will eventually need to make the blog more secure as traffic increases. Hackers seem to target blogs with traffic more than not as their bots will find it through search results just as people that visit will do.

Just remember that during the install to point it to a folder and not the root directory or the install will delete your other files. Once the blog is installed and usable then you simply place a link on you main page to it.

tbunch, Mar 12, 2010 IP
  5. getlandersgetpaid

getlandersgetpaid Guest

Best Answers:
    You can also customise the theme to include the same HTML that your sites header and footer uses, and you can also share the same stylesheet. Done right, you dont even know you're leaving the native site at all.

getlandersgetpaid, Jun 23, 2010 IP