1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ad pool question

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by rwhetsto, Oct 27, 2004.

Which do you guys think is a better use of your ad pool if you are targetting, for example, the KW, tomatoes.

A. One ad with the anchor text tomatoes, or
    B. Multiple ads with varying anchor text, such as tomatoes, grape tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, big boy tomatoes, tomatoe, etc...

In this excersise we don't care about the other keywords, just the main one... tomatoes. My thought is that in natural linking you would probably not get the same anchor text for every link that you get, therefore B maybe the better use, but I'm not sure. What do you guys think?

rwhetsto, Oct 27, 2004 IP
  2. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    I would mix it up - slight variations of the textlink, at least imo, are helpful. If nothing else, you may hit a key phrase with one of your variation links that brings some additional traffic you hadn't quite expected.

Just my 2cents

GuyFromChicago, Oct 27, 2004 IP
  3. stephfoster

stephfoster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My links are mixed up with variations on keywords. They also don't all link to my main page; they're spread out to be relevant to the keyword used.

stephfoster, Oct 27, 2004 IP
  4. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    B. definitly B.

exam, Oct 27, 2004 IP
  5. Nitin M

Nitin M White/Gray/Black Hat

Best Answers:
    If you really don't care about ranking for the variations, then in the coop I would go with option 'A' personally.

I would get a handful of variations from other sources (like your other sites) with varying anchor text just as a safety precaution but I really don't think it is needed. Sort like how I walk around a ladder and not under it even though I don't believe walking under it is bad luck ;)

The network is too powerful to waste on the "mixing up" superstition, IMHO.

Nitin M, Oct 27, 2004 IP
  6. rwhetsto

rwhetsto Peon

Best Answers:
    For this excersise I don't care at all about the variation keywords. All I want to do well for is the main keyword... tomatoes. Being no. 7 for tomatoes and no. 1 for "grape tomatoes" is not better than being no. 6 for tomatoes and no. 456 for "grape tomatoes" in this case.

Interesting analogy of the situation . I wonder if it is just a "superstition" or if there really is anything in the algorithm that penalizes a site that gets all the same anchor text? It makes sense to me that there would be a penalty, but I don't have any proof that it exists. Hmmm and the confusion continues... :confused:

rwhetsto, Oct 28, 2004 IP
  7. thebassman

thebassman Asleep at the Keyboard

Best Answers:
    I found that once I started to vary up my anchor text, my rankings shot up higher... I was targetting one fairly tough key phrase, and only that key phrase.... and I could get up in the top 150... as I started to vary the anchor text used, all of a sudden I seemed to jump into the top 20 or so...

thebassman, Oct 28, 2004 IP
  8. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm personally not part of the network, but I'd go with what I'd get better success at.

Meaning if I was all ready ranking fairly well (top 10) for the KW "tomatoes" then I'd try harder for that one KW and leave all my ads with that anchor text. Considering I think my page would be what people are looking for when they search "tomatoes."

But if I wasn't anywhere near the top for the one KW "tomatoe" (21 or below) or if I thought people searching "tomatoes" will visit my site but not find what they are looking for, then I'd consider doing plan B.
    Targeting "cherry tomatoes" and "grape tomatoes" would most likely bring in more well targeted traffic anyhow. Plus it'd be easier to get top ranking for since the more KWs in the Keyphrase the better your chances of being #1. Usually. I'd also make a seperate page for "cherry tomatoes" and another for "grape tomatoes" thus being more specific in my information to the person who either clicked the ad or searched for "grape tomatoes."

Does this help?

Such Great Heights, Oct 28, 2004 IP
  9. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    I could have been a little clearer...I think mixing up the links will help you place better for the primary term you're after. It may also bring you some unexpected benefits (such as better placement for variations of the primary term).

GuyFromChicago, Oct 28, 2004 IP
  10. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm interesting point of view, I also believe what fishing forum says about variations in link text.

This gives me an idea with the ad network you could put in 9 ads that are identical and one with a variation, sending 90% of your weight to your main KWs and 10% to the variation. That would cover all bases. Shawn, maybe that's another idea for the future, being able to divy up your weight among your ads so one would show more ie

ad 1 -- 70%
    ad 2 -- 20%
    ad 3 -- 10%

instead of

ad 1 -- 33.33%
    ad 2 -- 33.33%
    ad 3 -- 33.33%

What do you think?

exam, Oct 28, 2004 IP
  11. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    It's been mentioned in this thread.

(I think it's a good idea too)

GuyFromChicago, Oct 28, 2004 IP
  12. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    Oops, hadn't seen that thread :eek: My apologies. :)

exam, Oct 28, 2004 IP
    GuyFromChicago likes this.
  13. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    Sorry if this is a stupid question but what is required to get into the advertising coop. I have around 30 themed real estate websites I might want to get into this coop if possible.

Las Vegas Homes, Oct 28, 2004 IP
  14. a389951l

a389951l Must Create More Content

Best Answers:
    a389951l, Oct 28, 2004 IP
  15. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Just visit The Coop and sign up. The more real estate web sites the better. I run a large, rather popular Australian RE site myself, which features (across it's 130,000+ indexed pages) 5 ads apiece.

Here's a thought.. how DO you sign someone up.. :confused:

john_loch, Oct 28, 2004 IP
  16. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    You can access your affiliate ID in the coop control panel (where you set up your ads). Look for the "How to receive weight bonuses" link on the right side of the screen.

GuyFromChicago, Oct 29, 2004 IP
  17. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Thx GFC,

I didn't notice the url on the background.

Cheers,

JL

john_loch, Oct 29, 2004 IP