1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

ad network question - "Ad network ads should be shown on all pages within your site."

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by disgust, Aug 10, 2004.

is this a suggestion or a requirement?

I'm not really sure I have a way to have the ads look decent on my whole site, but there are sections where it'd be absolutely fine... am I still able to get into the program with something like that?

disgust, Aug 10, 2004 IP
  2. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    another question, too...

I'd be sticking it in a vb 2.x. I know it's not officially supported yet, but would there be any relatively easy way to do it?

the thing is, since there's just a php code bit I could use, that SHOULD work... but sadly vb 2.x templates can't have php code inside of them. would there be a way to get around that?

disgust, Aug 10, 2004 IP
  3. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    sorry, asking even another question.

is it possible to have a "three way" setup (I put the code on my site A, but I ask to have people in the ad network point to site B)? if it's not that, then what is it? how are they signed up if they're not displaying anything but a 1x1 pixel gif?

disgust, Aug 10, 2004 IP
  4. Redleg

Redleg Raider

Best Answers:
    The only question I can answer is the one about Sendwu.com, It's one of Digitalpoints sites.. :)

And it's possible to point your ads to other sites.
    I've got ads pointing to three different sites, and Digitalpoint approved all of them..

Redleg, Aug 10, 2004 IP
  5. l0cke

l0cke Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I believe this is how it is meant to work. FYI.. Shawn owns sendwu.com. He displays the ads on this forum; ex: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php?p=22038&postcount=3 (at the top) and has a few of his ads set to point to sendwu.com. I currently display the ads on my blog and my ad is setup to point to another site. Seeing as how your forum has 207,673 posts I believe you would have great success using the ad network!

l0cke, Aug 10, 2004 IP
  6. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    To answer the questions... sendwu.com is my site, and it does not run ad network ads. forums.digitalpoint.com *does* run ad network ads (but has no ads running for it), so yes... it can work in a triangular linking system.

I will try to get vBulletin 2.x support/instructions going this week sometime, so that should work for you at that point.

digitalpoint, Aug 10, 2004 IP
  7. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    thanks, I'm still curious though since you mentioned somewhere that ads should be shown on all pages.. is that a suggestion or a requirement? could I, for example, just have a text link in the archives of the forum but not the regular forum?

disgust, Aug 10, 2004 IP
  8. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yep... the requirements of being site-wide is mostly for the "Other" site types... since it's impossible to figure out where they will go without spidering the whole thing.

Here for example, they run on the single post view and the archive:

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php?p=22075&postcount=7
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/archive/index.php/

The weight people receive is based on the value of the ad placement. For example, a vBulletin site that runs them site-wide of course gets a higher weight than ones that do not.

9. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    do you manually assign weight after you see where they place it, or is weight determined automatically by the number of pages?

I'll really be looking forward to the vb2 release :)

disgust, Aug 10, 2004 IP
  10. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Weight factoring is all automatic, based on many things... the biggest one being the number of pages they run ads on.

11. rickbender1940

rickbender1940 Guest

Best Answers:
    Is this dynamic? I finally got it running on a PHP on IIS blog and was assigned a score. I added a couple more pages to the site this morning but the score is the same (sitewide link)

rickbender1940, Aug 10, 2004 IP
  12. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The weights are reevaluated every 48 hours. More importantly the pages within the site are figured out by querying Google (otherwise it would require spidering every page in a site, which is a bad idea just to find out how many pages there are). So it can be a couple days of lag... Basically until Google spiders and reports it in the index.

13. rickbender1940

rickbender1940 Guest

Best Answers:
    I guess that could be a while...it's a pretty new site anyway, and on top of that I switched over the site from ASP to php last night to get the ad network going!

rickbender1940, Aug 10, 2004 IP
  14. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm only running the ads on the InfoPool section of my web site. the directory structure is like this www.compar.com/infopool/index.html and then all the articles are in www.compar.com.infopool/articles/.

So Shawn could start to crawl at ******/infopool/ and then he would get them all rather than start to crawl at www.compar.com. I don't know if that is what he does, but certainly I only run them on some of the pages in my total site.

compar, Aug 10, 2004 IP
  15. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It does that (only looks within the base they registered with)...