1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Actions Issue

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by emillielane, Jan 3, 2020.

i have an effect that i use often that has about eleventy-billion steps to achieve. i was trying to record a new action to automate the process, and i'm running into an issue. The first step in the process is to create a new layer with either text, or a shape. That part i would do manually. The next step is to duplicate that layer three times. The next step is to set all four layers fill percentage to 0%. Steps two, and three are where i'm running into the issue. When creating a new layer with text, or a shape, it automatically names the layer. After i record the process, and try to use it on another set of text or shape, it looks for layers with the original names, and fails to complete. To try getting around that, i started recording the process after changing the name of the original layer to "1". Running the action after that works...mostly. It still doesn't change the layer fill percentage to 0%.

How do i create an action that will duplicate the original layer three times, regardless of what the original layer is named, and how do i then get that action to set the fill percentage of all four layers to 0%?

emillielane, Jan 3, 2020 IP
  2. emillielane

emillielane Peon

Best Answers:
    The solution to my issue was provided elsewhere, and is as follows (in case anyone else runs into a similar issue):
    1) Create layer with text/shape
    2) Start recording
    3) Ctrl+J x3 (so far nothing has changed from my previous attempts)
    4) Use Alt + [ or ] to move up or down between the newly duplicated layers
    5) Change the fill percentage (remembering to press enter each time)
    6) Repeat step 4 using keyboard shortcuts to move between layers and add effects to them, instead of selecting them with a mouse (which selects a specifically named layer)
    7) Wash, rinse, repeat until finished.

The keyboard shortcuts can be found here.

emillielane, Jan 4, 2020 IP