1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Achieving a good balance of clicks across multiple Ad Groups - Good strategy?

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by Khmedia, Jun 1, 2017.

Is it a good strategy to 'balance' the clicks in Ad Words campaigns.

So if I had 3 Ad Groups would and they performed like

Ad Group 1
    3 Daily Clicks <----------- 3 clicks
    100 Impressions
    $0.70 CPC

Ad Group 2
    2 Daily Clicks <----------- 2 clicks
    40 Impressions
    $0.70 CPC

Ad Group 3
    0 Daily Clicks <----------- 0 clicks
    10 Impressions
    $0.70 CPC

Would a good strategy be to change the CPC on Group 3 and Group 2 to something like this:

Ad Group 1
    3 Daily Clicks <----------- 3 clicks
    100 Impressions
    $0.70 CPC

Ad Group 2
    3 Daily Clicks <------------ 3 clicks
    40 Impressions
    $1.00 (was $0.70) CPC

Ad Group 3
    3 Daily Clicks <---------- 3 clicks
    10 Impressions
    $1.30 (was $0.70) CPC

Therefore a balance achieved across all groups.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Khmedia, Jun 1, 2017 IP
  2. Lucid Web Marketing

Lucid Web Marketing Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure you understand the concept behind ad groups. It is to separate based on a certain criteria. For example, if you sold car parts, you'd have a group for each part fitting specific makes and models. This way, you are focusing your keyword targeting (Ford Torus brakes vs Nissan Sentra brakes vs Chevy Cavalier oil filter vs...), with a proper ad based on what the topic of the group is about and of course, the ad landing on the appropriate page.

Why you would want each group to have the same number of clicks doesn't make sense. Each group will have very different search volumes, ads different CTRs based on position, QS and bid and thus different CPC. There is no strategy in what you suggest. The strategy that works is laser-targeting with proper keywords and enticing ads.

I have a client selling parts (not for cars as in my example but something else). There are thousands of ad groups. I cannot imagine, also not something I ever dreamed of, trying to "balance" the clicks across all of them. Some get hundreds of impressions each day and thus maybe a dozen click each day, while others literally get a handful of impressions per month (or even year) and thus may get a dozen clicks in a year. So that would be impossible.

What I'm trying to figure out is what you expect to achieve by trying this. What's your goal? I'm sure like most advertisers your end goal is to make more sales and revenues. This wouldn't do it if you somehow managed to do it. But if you have some sort of OCD condition where you like to see your groups all have about the same number of clicks, go for it.

Lucid Web Marketing, Jun 2, 2017 IP