1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Abortion, Good- Bad

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by diarmuid, May 30, 2007.

1. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    You take risks everyday. If I am driving my car and some drunk driver hits me, then it is ok because I knew drunk drivers exist and I chose to drive anyway?

p.s. That would be solutionX's fault as well:)

Rebecca, May 31, 2007 IP
  2. SolutionX

SolutionX Peon

Best Answers:
    Nope, cause by your standards, he doesn't qualify as a person.

Anyway, lighten up, this is just a lighthearted discussion about murdering babies.

SolutionX, May 31, 2007 IP
  3. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    And all this time, I thought it was about classifying women as a second hand citizens who don't understand what is good for them and therefore we should remove their right to decide over their own body. ;)

gworld, May 31, 2007 IP
  4. diarmuid

diarmuid Peon

Best Answers:
    No, no, no...

If you are going to try and turn my words against me, then remember by "my standards" abortion isn't murdering a baby...

Furthermore, I would like to point out that you are using the word murder incorrectly. If you look at the dictionary (here) then it informs you that murder, is an unlawful killing of a human...
    Abortion, unlike how you want it to be, is not illegal! Also, we are talking about the abortion of what is either a fetus or embryo... its only you that seems to have a fetish for going on and talking about killing babies...

I was confused by that as well!

diarmuid, May 31, 2007 IP
  5. SolutionX

SolutionX Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't worry, if you can manage to go and get yourself knocked up I'll try to make it illegal for you to kill the baby too. :D

6. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I am glad there are people that understand this...

Rebecca, May 31, 2007 IP
  7. SolutionX

SolutionX Peon

Best Answers:
    So if you get away with killing someone in cold blood, because of a loophole in the system, but you still did it, it's not murder?

8. SolutionX

SolutionX Peon

Best Answers:
    Peer encouragement eases your concience?

9. stevogarvey

stevogarvey Guest

Best Answers:
    My views are generally pro-life in terms of taking a situation as it comes and deciding the appropriate action to pro-actively. For example a consenting couple engage in sexual acts knowing that reproduction could proceed, the women becomes pregnant but decides that she doesn’t want the baby and wants an abortion. In this situation I would generally be against abortion since they both engaged in sexual acts knowing what the result could be. Pro-life.
    However in the case of a rape victim, I think keeping the baby should be encouraged and counselling given, however ultimately the women did not freely engage in consenting sex so therefore should not be responsible for her actions. Pro-life encouraged but under the circumstance a choice should be given.

Looking at many moral systems philosophically for instance, Kant and deontology, Situation Ethics, Utilitarianism, Natural Law theory etc there is conflicting duties and I think this reflects on society in the west.
    As you could probably tell I am more situation based in my opinion however, a certain degree of rationality should be applied to such decisions for instance, in this case it is always wrong to abort, and in this case it is always right. It is just establishing which cases this rationality should be applied and to what extent.

As far as I know, the recent developments on abortion in the UK are as follows:

“Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act 1990(HFEA).
    Section 37 of the HFEA later made changes to the 1967 Abortion Act in making the time limit of abortion 24 weeks under statutory grounds C and D. Statutory grounds A, B and E are now without time limit.

Recent Developments
    In May 1996 'The Termination of Pregnancy Restriction Bill' was given its first reading in the House of Lords. The Bill, if passed, would have amended the Abortion Act of 1967 so that to perform terminations on the sole ground of a diagnosis of Downs Syndrome would become illegal. The Bill was introduced into the House of Lords by the Conservative Peer Viscount Brentford but a second reading was not requested and the bill never became law.
    Although inconsistent and contradictory in its early legal development, the introduction of the Abortion Act of 1967 clarified the position on abortion and to this day provides the prominent statutory framework on which abortion is based.” From http://www.btinternet.com/~DEvans_23/legislat.htm

stevogarvey, May 31, 2007 IP
  10. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    First of all abortion is not killing "someone" and also there are many cases that killing someone is not murder including but not limited to : self defense, accidental killing, car accidents,.... ;)

gworld, May 31, 2007 IP
  11. SolutionX

SolutionX Peon

Best Answers:
    I see, so which one is abortion again?... self defense, accidental killing, or car accidents?

12. stevogarvey

stevogarvey Guest

Best Answers:
    I found this slightly amusing; you’re comparing abortion to self defence, accidental killing, and car accidents. Let me assure you that a foetus or baby will not attack you for there to be any retribution, abortion is not accidental and as far as I know abortion is certainly not a car accident hehe. I understand ‘but not limited to’ but that post made me laugh.

13. diarmuid

diarmuid Peon

Best Answers:
    Well in response to your original post, since when was abortion a loophole in the law... Loophole implies it is an uninentional omission in the law, which isn't really true.

14. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Like I said abortion is not killing "someone" but it is very like self defense in nature. A women who knows she is not suitable as a parent at that time in her life, protects her mental health, society (by not adding another welfare mother and child) and her future (to be able to continue with study and career instead of getting stuck in a trailer park and working in McDonald) by taking an action to terminate the pregnancy.

gworld, May 31, 2007 IP
  15. diarmuid

diarmuid Peon

Best Answers:
    Well lots of the posts here about how people hundreds of miles away from the people that suffer these problems, should be allowed to decide the right course of action for someone to take made me laugh...

16. Telm

Telm Peon

Best Answers:
    For the moment the debate is when a fetus becomes 'human'. It can't be murder by any means if the law decides its not and fetus is not yet seen as alive.

I agree with abortion, but I do think the time period is too long. Babies have survived at 24 weeks so they must be alive... when does brain activity start... 8 weeks? In my opinion that should determine it.

I certainly think abortion is a good thing and that it should always be up to the individual woman.

Telm, May 31, 2007 IP
  17. stevogarvey

stevogarvey Guest

Best Answers:
    I don’t think I understand what you are trying to express here, your syntax is messed up. Could you rephrase it for me please? Thanks.

18. Toopac

Toopac Peon

Best Answers:
    No it's no ok, but it isn't a surprise is it?

The purpose of sex is reproduction, you can't engage in sex then say a pregnancy has been forced upon you, when you did it of your own free will.

@ Gworld it would be ok to cure an infection that you get via sex because although you knew you could get it that is not the purpose of sex.

Toopac, May 31, 2007 IP
  19. SolutionX

SolutionX Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, that definately sounds like an imminent threat to her life. :rolleyes:

It's the "Threat to Mental Health and Future Luxury Defense"! :D

Anyone could use this as a defense when they kill their lazy spouse.

20. diarmuid

diarmuid Peon

Best Answers:
    (I would argue that it was my punctuation, not syntax... but hey)
    Lots of people here, have made posts about how they (the people here) should be allowed to decide whether people should be allowed abortions, even though the people that might be considering abortions are hundreds, possibly thousands of miles away. It was these posts that made me laugh.
    And the purpose of sex as defined by you might be reproduction, whilst for others it might easily be defined as something else