1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Abandoned shopping carts

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by leeds1, Dec 1, 2004.

Hi all,

OK, so I've been doing a bit of tracking of those folks who go from the product/ sales page on the shopping cart - then order page - then payment

Hmmm...lots of abandonment

Does anyone have a list of things that should be placed on each of these items.

On mine I have:

> Shopping cart
    - Name and address of company
    - Logo
    - Product to be ordered

> Order Page
    - Verisign logo/ security metric logos
    - words about encryption
    - customer services telephone and email
    - name and address of company
    - guarantee verbage

Here's what I put about encryption:

<small img of padlock and link to pop up><link>Your Order is Safe and Secure</link>
    <then below the link these words>
    This is a secure server with the highest security encryption, authenticated by VeriSign and Security Metrics, that ensures your personal information is kept confidential and secure.

Is that too complicated ?

Anything else I need to add do you think ?

ta

leeds1, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Can it be that your shopping cart page doesn't show delivery cost? Whenever I see that myself I go to the check-out just to see delivery charge.

Also, perhaps people don't know the payment options until the final step. Make them aware what their options are beforehand. On our check-out page they can click 'oflfibe order' as well for those who don't want to provide card details etc. At least then you have all their details and know they want to buy. Ring them and get their card details or get them to send a cheque.

I don't think you have to worry about the security stuff.

T0PS3O, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  3. leeds1

leeds1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Good point about delivery - although all products are downloadable from the net and there is no delivery charge I still get phone calls asking when the product will arrive *sigh*

leeds1, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  4. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    That's an indication. Make it more clear. We removed our phone number from all pages and only display it on the contact page but under a list of FA(silly)Qs. Saves you phonecalls and they don't loose the momentum of buying and might be more inclined to finish the purchase.

T0PS3O, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  5. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    For a great cart that you should want to emulate, I'd check here:

http://www.youcansave.com

This site has - by far - the best shopping cart I've seen on the internet. Clean; easy to use and 1 page.

lorien1973, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  6. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    It better be a good cart coz the site is slooohooowww (loading...) i still have time to say it's really slow... (still not on the product page)...

T0PS3O, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  7. lorien1973

Best Answers:
    Yes, I noticed that too. Usually the site is very fast. If it was loading quicker i would have put up a direct link to the cart, but I couldn't get the site to load myself :)

8. leeds1

leeds1 Peon

Best Answers:
    yeh - I couldnt get on

with the download stuff I plaster it all over the site and say "click here to order and download now"

I not sure what else I can say

On the shopping pages it also says immediate download......

leeds1, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  9. ginostylz

ginostylz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How about a link to a privacy policy.
    I doubt people will read it, but they probably enjoy the security of a business that uses a privacy policy.

ginostylz, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  10. lorien1973

Best Answers:
    do you have a link to your site so i can see your shopping cart that you have right now? there are always minor tweaks that can really improve performance - but remember 98% of your visitors will not buy anything - no matter how pretty you make things.

11. joseph29

joseph29 Peon

Best Answers:
    Is this site down? I wanted to see their shopping cart, but it just sits there...

joseph29, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  12. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    yeah, i was going to say that most items added to a cart never make it out of the store. I think a lot of people add items to their cart just to verify that what you say it costs is actually what it costs. Plus, I think some people just think it is fun to add stuff to their shopping cart.

chachi, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  13. leeds1

leeds1 Peon

Best Answers:
    leeds1, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  14. lorien1973

Best Answers:
    Here are my initial thoughts. I went from your homepage and added an item to the cart.

First; the order button was WAY too far down on the page. Move it up to the top, and place another one down on the bottom as well. Chances are, people are not going to buy these things on the first visit, but may on the second. If they come back, put the add to cart button in their face right away so they click it.

When you add the item to the cart; it shows the item you have, but also shows every other item you sell as well. Why? As a customer, I only want to see the item I placed in the cart, not every thing else with a 0 next to it. Its confusing, and really looks like I am ordering more than I thought I was. customers don't wait around very long, make it easy and not confusing of they'll leave.

So I scroll down to the bottom, 4 options. rEcalc/clear/continue/checkout As a merchant, I'd want to minimize the "recalc" and "clear" buttons so they are not as easily accidentally clicked and highlight the "checkout" button more.

I'd also put a phone number up so people can call if they have questions, and a link to your policies (return, privacy etc). Putting a little graphical "lock" on your site to show the site is secure is helpful too.

On the checkout screen, after hitting checkout; the order of information is not logical nor is it similar to other sites online:

You have it in this order:
    Full Name:
    Company:
    *Day Phone:
    Home Phone:
    Fax:
    *Email:
    *Confirm Email
    *Address1:
    Address2:
    *City:
    *State/Province/County:
    *Postal/Zip Code:

Should really be:
    Full Name:
    Company: (Why? this is covered by address1 most of the time)
    *Address1:
    Address2:
    *City:
    *State/Province/County:
    *Postal/Zip Code:
    *Day Phone:
    Home Phone: 3 phone numbers? even though 2 are optional, its a bit many
    Fax:
    *Email:
    *Confirm Email why confirm the email address?

Then, the cart information is included again below. Just make it show what is in the cart, not everythig that is available. Cancel button is too prominent. If they are going to cancel, they'll click away another method (backing up, hitting home, etc) - dont give them an incentive to leave with a button right in their face.

Oh yeah - in reality not many people have a paypal account or want to use it so you might want to give a real payment option (thru a merchant account)

Just some of my thoughts :)

15. leeds1

leeds1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Johann

Thanks for your input

I've added an additional order link and privacy policy link

I don't know why it put every product into your cart as it should not do that :confused:

It's an external system so my flexibility is limited - the other things I can't do.

If anyone can recommend a shopping cart system that:

- you can completely customise the look and feel
    - can send folks to a download page after payment (for different ebooks) or send them an email telling them where to go
    - integrates with paypal/ worldpay properly

Then let me know

Thanks

leeds1, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  16. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    Couple of thoughts:

1 only using shopping cart can I get a price, the price is on the botom of a very long page.

2 it's a third party cart only the smal logo (not linked) indicates the original domain

3 the jucy bits - 90 day - support and all the extras thrown in are late on the main page

4 on the sample business plan the vital info of 90 days, price, support, etc is completely missing (not everyone starts at the home page and reads it all....)

Hope it helps
    M

expat, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  17. lorien1973

Best Answers:
    FYI - youcansave.com appears to be back up if you want to see their cart. (down 6 hours in a holiday time of year though - ouch)

18. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Nice indeed. Unambiguous. Well done too on how the 30 day money back gurantee is positioned so you can't miss it just before processing.

T0PS3O, Dec 2, 2004 IP
  19. Chris Choi

Chris Choi Peon

Best Answers:
    Try going to marketingsherpa.com for case studies
    on how to decrease shoppingcart abandonment.

Chris Choi, Dec 11, 2004 IP