1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A Warning to All of You!

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by woob, Mar 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. osblack

osblack Peon

Best Answers:
    I use notepad++ and im very happy with it.

osblack, Mar 13, 2008 IP
  2. Sheesh.

Sheesh. Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Microsoft Expression Web.

I really like it.

Sheesh., Mar 13, 2008 IP
  3. woob

woob Banned

Best Answers:
    Ok, here's just one problem among several that I have been experiencing with this software.

Since you've been using it for 8 years perhaps you can explain to me step by step how I can get the links in my top nav. bar to appear differently than the links in my side nav. bar.

Also, I want to be able to do this via the external CSS styles sheet to avoid putting such styles code within my pages. So far no one has been able to give me an answer for this.

I tried using the CSS styles feature to do this, but it won't work. By the way, I followed the step by step instructions as outlined in Teach Yourself Visually, and it didn't work.

Please enlighten me, because I would really like to know how to do this.

woob, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  4. anakyn

anakyn Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for info, i will try to use other program... can you make me some recommendations?

anakyn, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  5. anamul

anamul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is definitely bugs in it. DW 8 is a lot better than CS3. I used CS3 with Win XP.Some time it felt like it is having fun with me.

So I got rid of it.

anamul, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  6. melbel

melbel Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's a WYSIWYG program. I mean, what did you expect -- of course it's not going to be exactly what you want. The best way it to code it by hand.

melbel, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  7. koahost

koahost Active Member

Best Answers:
    That has nothing to do with dreamweaver but with you.. when you use different classes for both your top nav and side nav there wouldn't be a problem. You shouldn't use the dreamweaver styles just type them out yourself in css.

this is the ul inside the DIV navigation. Now if your going to style your side nav make a DIV for it and style it again as

ul.sitenav

etc

Don't blame dreamweaver you just cant code good yet. The program is great but you have to use it the right way. use it as a text editor and don't like at the design page.

koahost, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  8. TDD-Designs

TDD-Designs Peon

Best Answers:
    I have Dreamweaver CS3, and i've never used anything outside of the code view, I just like it because it tabs everything i have open (which is usually about 15 files) and the color-coding for tags and the like in the code view.... I know there are plenty of programs that can peform the same task, but for some reason i just chose to use DCS3

TDD-Designs, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  9. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    It is true that Dreambeaver in its default mode does a lot of things you don't want it to. There are professional coders who know how to code and use dw as an assist or to speed up developement, and the secret according to them is that you change all of DW's defaults... apparently this is the only way to stop dw from adding unwanted code etc.

I choose to use a tool that never adds extra stuff even by default.

Stomme poes, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  10. jsb

jsb Guest

Best Answers:
    In order to have different navigation styles I'd suggest creating the styles in the style sheet and then applying them to your navigation list.

I'm not sure if you're having problems creating the actual styles in the style panel, or the fact that DW will add styles to the page itself instead of adding them to the external stylesheet.

If the latter, just copy the styles to the external style sheet and delete them from the page. If you know you want something to be red, go ahead and create that style, then apply it to your page element, this way you have more control.

Feel free to PM me

jsb, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  11. funtimes07

funtimes07 Peon

Best Answers:
    dreamweaver acts up one me too, just like the entire CS3 Line....2k worth of useless programs lol

funtimes07, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  12. triplex

triplex Peon

Best Answers:
    Dreamweaver is ok, the only problem is that its to heavy! it takes to much to open an edit files

triplex, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  13. woob

woob Banned

Best Answers:
    My problem mainly has to do with links. Even when I create the styles in the style panel, the main link code overides it when I attempt to use those styles.

And the other problem I am having is that I don't want the CSS styles code to appear in my page, because my validator is giving me warnings about CDATA ( I use an html/xhtml validator that is not a part of DCS3.

woob, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  14. pondlife

pondlife Peon

Best Answers:
    Frontpage? Pah! ;)

UltraEdit Rocks! :)

pondlife, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  15. bluemouse2

bluemouse2 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    if you want an html editor use notepad

bluemouse2, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  16. woob

woob Banned

Best Answers:
    So if the problem is with me and not Dreamweaver, why then would you tell me not to use the styles panel to do this when in fact this is what it is supposed to do?

woob, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  17. overdrive

overdrive Active Member

Best Answers:
    I will stick with Dreamweaver 8 and my notepad. An easy combo to maneuver and it doesn't bog down anything.

overdrive, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  18. SNGDomains

SNGDomains Peon

Best Answers:
    I really enjoy using Coffee Cup Visual Site Designer. It is very easy to use and it won the consumer's choice award for software!

SNGDomains, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  19. woob

woob Banned

Best Answers:
    Well, I've run into yet another problem! Now my 'links' text is expanding in size when I click on my links!

woob, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  20. jsb

jsb Guest

Best Answers:
    How about a url? Feel free to pm me as I mentioned before, we could go around in circles here for days. You could have a active style in there messing things around.

Your CDATA issue I doubt is related in anyway to your css. Again looking at some actual code goes a long way.

Have you spent much time learning CSS? While dreamweaver will create css, and allow you to create css, one has to take the time to learn the basics and how things work with eachother.

jsb, Mar 14, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.