1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A quick way to impress a local business about your online skills...

Discussion in 'General Business' started by CarefulCash, Jul 2, 2013.

This won't often apply to a local business website, but it takes 30 seconds, and when you find it, it's like a 'Golden ticket of entry' to get a business owner's attention.

NOTE: I even found a major brand retailer in Australia who made this mistake (and they only corrected it after I blogged about it), so it's worth doing.

Here is the tip.

When you see a website eg TheLawyerInMyLocalArea dot com then visit both these sites:
    www dot thelawyerinmylocalarea dot com
    thelawyerinmylocalarea dot com

You might be surprised how often one of these is either not working, or just different from each other (eg one is a cpanel login)

Letting a business know about this problem - and perhaps explaining why it is important they fix it - is a good way to give a business something that costs you nothing, demonstrates your knowledge goes beyond that of whomever did their website originally, AND helps them immediately be better online for their prospective buyers.

Hope you find it useful.

CarefulCash, Jul 2, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  2. CarefulCash

CarefulCash Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the Like Ryan - glad it was of use.

I'm surprised more people didn't pick up / comment on this so far, because a tip like this is the 'edge' that reading a forum like this can give people.

And it's free!

CarefulCash, Jul 4, 2013 IP
  3. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Great tips. As a matter of fact just recently I pointed out the exact same mistake to somebody on this forum. I don't think I heard back from the person, but, yeah, it's a huge deal if your www extension doesn't work. Imaging setting up a physical store and then forgetting to install the entrance. Kinda goes in the same vein.

qwikad.com, Jul 8, 2013 IP
  4. PNV

PNV Active Member

Best Answers:
    Really good tip, Thank you

PNV, Jul 8, 2013 IP
  5. CarefulCash

CarefulCash Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks QwikAd & PNV - all part of the education!

CarefulCash, Jul 8, 2013 IP
  6. ArticleForce

ArticleForce Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is spot on. It's good to be aware of these technical things because having them will really give you that 'expert' status and will display to potential clients that you know what you're talking about.

ArticleForce, Jul 8, 2013 IP
  7. GAdsense

GAdsense Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oh yes, that's a good tip friend. Thanks for pointing out. I've not experienced such an issue ever, but I do check it every time. Good to know there are people around who does the same things. We're indeed a community! :)

GAdsense, Jul 8, 2013 IP
  8. gregdavidson

gregdavidson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Getting through to local businesses is very difficult. If you try to email them they'll perceive your message as spam. Calling them won't be much different. The only easy way to really get through to local businesses is to send out thousands of mailings. Contact the leads that you generate through that to begin the sales process. Once you start getting customers build a reputation to generate word-of-mouth. That's the formula that many local business services use.

gregdavidson, Jul 11, 2013 IP
  9. wzn888

wzn888 Member

Best Answers:
    really good information,thanks for sharing

wzn888, Jul 12, 2013 IP
  10. s.molinari

s.molinari Member

Best Answers:
    What is also sort of important is that the www. subdomain doesn't show the same content as the normal domain name. That could cause problems with search engines, because of perceived duplicate content, although I think Google covers that eventuality. But still, the golden rule is, you should have either everything with or without the www. subdomain and not both showing the same content. So if you go with not using the www. subdomain, you should redirect any traffic going to the www. subdomain to your normal domain. If you go with the www. subdomain, you should redirect any traffic going to your normal domain to the www. subdomain. The latter, for instance, is what digitalpoint does.

Scott

s.molinari, Jul 12, 2013 IP
  11. kelbo

kelbo Active Member

Best Answers:
    My friend just helped me set up a website on his server. He got it all set up and working then I saw something in Google analytics that made me think I needed to change my url listing. After I dumped the www part I got myself into a reference loop and couldn't log on to either my www or my http version of the website. I had to call my friend and have him go into the database to fix my blunder.

kelbo, Jul 13, 2013 IP
  12. V_RocKs

V_RocKs Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In webmaster tools you can set whether or not the www. is supposed to be the same as without it.

V_RocKs, Jul 14, 2013 IP