1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A proposal to directory owners!

Discussion in 'Directories' started by jhnrang, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Dubz

Dubz Peon

Best Answers:
    The whole point is to build a forum / united voice of the industry.

Develop Best Management Practices and tackle issues affecting all directories in a democratic way.

Make a list of Members in Good standing.
    Release press releases
    Become THE AUTHORITY.

Now that being said it is very hard for someone to remain impartial if they are director AND have a directory. Normally you hire someone who has no financial interest in the industry. If they do they are considered partial and it destroys the purpose.

There is serious money in this industry if you really wanted to get serious you'd have tomake a NON PROFIT association that makes a budget. That budget is SIMPLY to further expand the industry and deliver value for its members. If the members don't see the value in belonging the association will cease to exist.

Just my thoughts as I run out the door.

Dubz, Mar 9, 2007 IP
  2. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    "FLY BY NIGHTS COULD RUIN EVERYTHING." - There could be requirnments of being in business for 6+ months, no black hat seo techniques, etc...

jg123, Mar 9, 2007 IP
  3. mistermix

mistermix Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think this is a great idea, good luck to whoever decides to go ahead with it.

Quality guidlines will help distinguish the good directories from the not so good. A small but eye catching logo should be put on member directories, like a seal of approval.

mistermix, Mar 9, 2007 IP
  4. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Really encouraging feedback coming up!
    It is seen that all have the intent--

It is just a matter of materialising it!:)

jg123--your suggestions are great- and expresses our interests:D

smub---and yes-- any one of them--or all of them must take the responsibility.

Dubz-- Yes it must be a NON-PROFIT--entity --that will unite all directory owners--check the standard of the industry, safeguard its members as a whole and also check the mal-practices.

Please put in more suggestions --participate in this thread and make thos BIG THREE sit up :D

jhnrang, Mar 9, 2007 IP
  5. ErectADirectory

ErectADirectory Guest

Best Answers:
    The idea has merit, how to run it is the biggest hurdle.

I TOTALLY agree that this has to be non-profit which implies that you must make money and pay an unpartial party (or parties) to run it for you. Directory owners can talk about the need for this but have no place in running it.

Dubz said it best "Now that being said it is very hard for someone to remain impartial if they are director AND have a directory. Normally you hire someone who has no financial interest in the industry. If they do they are considered partial and it destroys the purpose."

If the big directory owners get involved it should be in the form of donations or sponsorship, not an active roll in its day to day operations. That would make the whole system flawed and could possible turn into a dictatorship.

I really think you are missing the big picture that getting the big boys involved is the kiss of success here, it might be the kiss of death. Phillip Morris and RJ Reynolds are not the type I want running anti smoking campaigns, the same rule applies here.

There are huge benefits to this like
    1. Identifying threats such as directory spammers.
    2. promoting standards both morally and ethically
    3. could end up being like the BBB for directories. Which would lead to a better level of trust in advertisers (read: increased profits for members)

Biggest drawbacks
    1. If this is not self-governed (ran by directory owners) and truly a not for profit then membership fees could be very high, we will have to pay others.
    2. A LARGE number of people would be required to police the 10,000's of directories out there. We must stop the spread of bad directories, they smear our name.
    3. No quick membership (sucks for me). Make a directory be open for 2+ years before allowing membership. This gets rid of those that are not serious or respectable.

If you guys are really serious about this, lease out a name and throw up a forum so that you can organize your thoughts on this. But once decisions have been made, hire someone to run it and step away.

My final input here is that this movement really needs to be totally open source in it's thoughts. This means lots of free resources for directory owners and a lot of time donated for nothing in return. Things like useful sql dumps, free plugins (or directory scripts), informative newsletters (not for adverts), discount rate on advertising for fellow members directories, neighborhood watch section for new directories, big ass faq section for new owners, and the list goes on. It MUST be a resource not a business.

Count me in, I'll donate some time either programming or otherwise. I'll watch this thread and see what materializes

ErectADirectory, Mar 9, 2007 IP
  6. thrawn

thrawn Peon

Best Answers:
    The idea is good, and I thought about this myself not so long ago, however, the problem is that to present a united front, there needs to be only one or two sites, rather than the current thousands. Therefore, surly no directory owner will sacrifice their site for the 'greater good'

thrawn, Mar 9, 2007 IP
  7. proxymess

proxymess Peon

Best Answers:
    Here, here!

proxymess, Mar 9, 2007 IP
  8. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:

I don't think anybody has to sacrifice anything.--everybody can keep their own sites and interests.:rolleyes:

It is just to form a united platform --for individuals:D

jhnrang, Mar 9, 2007 IP
  9. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nothing more and nothing less since everyone is a member and could easily see any foul activity. You do it for 1 You do it for all. Simple as that.

popotalk, Mar 9, 2007 IP
  10. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    noone is sacrificing anything.

This is just like a big organization which just adds to your reputation and the quality of your directory if you are a member and it makes you more trusted in the eyes of others.

it is basically everyone become united and help each other out by new techniques to control spam.

smub, Mar 9, 2007 IP
  11. syted

syted Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This is a good idea. A strong neutral body to represent us could influence and promote the directory industry in a way we could not do individually. Directory owners who reach the quality dictated by the body could show visible evidence of their endorsement by a powerful and neutral mentor. I see this as a win win proposition if it can be organised and financed.

Just my 2p's worth :D

syted, Mar 9, 2007 IP
  12. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    "A strong neutral body to represent us could influence and promote the directory industry." - That would be perfect but is a huge endevour. Maybe we should start off with a self-regulatory orginization first.

jg123, Mar 9, 2007 IP
  13. shutzu

shutzu Active Member

Best Answers:
    great idea, I'll put in this the hosting and the domain name for free, eventually install a SMF Forum for now

Edit: and lots of work to make this thing work.

Edit: I found a perfect domain for this. is anyone really interested? should I buy the domain and install the forum?

shutzu, Mar 9, 2007 IP
  14. Agent47

Agent47 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think you should go for it. Someone has to take an initiative. The idea is great and will help directory owners big time.

Agent47, Mar 9, 2007 IP
  15. shutzu

shutzu Active Member

Best Answers:
    just want to make sure I'm the only one starting this. don't want 10 people to start this and noone to do nothing.

shutzu, Mar 9, 2007 IP
  16. thrawn

thrawn Peon

Best Answers:
    Surly it would be for the best if alot of people started all at once, this would create competition and therefore force one to become strong.

I'll happily join anything going, as I think this is a really good idea, however, this should not be dominated by the big directories, as that just makes us another dominated niche (like search engines and google).

Jake

thrawn, Mar 10, 2007 IP
  17. shutzu

shutzu Active Member

Best Answers:
    I just bought http://www.dirowners.org - Directory Owners Organization
    I am now installing the forum (only this will be there for start), I'll let you know when it's up.
    I'll make for start only one topic, General, where everyone comes with ideas on what we can do there. those with the most ideas will become moderators. I don't want to take care of everything by myself. Would be great to have all equal members but then would be too hard to stop the scammers.

shutzu, Mar 10, 2007 IP
  18. thrawn

thrawn Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think equal members could work, because that would mean those that just have a tag on directory would have the same rights as someone whose only site is a directory.

thrawn, Mar 10, 2007 IP
  19. shutzu

shutzu Active Member

Best Answers:
    the idea is that I don't want to build a money making system, I want to build a community. we'll see there how it's going, probably for start we will be only 20 members but if we really work together we can make this thing work. I realized a perfect advertising plan, and it's free :)

shutzu, Mar 10, 2007 IP
  20. thrawn

thrawn Peon

Best Answers:
    Excellent :) And of course, everyone involved will link in via their directories :)

thrawn, Mar 10, 2007 IP