1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A Pagerank tool.. (desktop binary)

Discussion in 'Products & Tools' started by john_loch, May 1, 2004.

Would anyone be interested in a desktop binary (windows) that imports a list of urls, then (by way of IE) fetches PR for each ?

It acts as a local proxy intercepting queries etc (that way it can handle page requests with a 200 OK but no content, while forwarding toolbar requests on to the relevant servers and processing throughput).

The advantage is mainly speed, and very little traffic (reads: cheaper if you're paying by the packet etc).. and no French !

I did an Alpha test on such a tool last night, and pulled around 1000 queries in 5 mins (remember it's not multithreaded, just driving a single instance of IE initially - so it's not too bad).

Oh, did I mention the MAC VERSION ? - It'll be dependant on either exports from the windows tool, or a windows service, but either way, MAC users won't be completely left out.. :)

Any feature requests would be welcome too at this point. At present, it's just a quick way to retrieve PR en masse (and of course DMOZ category).

I'll be posting the alpha dload url within the next few days if ppl show interest.
    :)

john_loch, May 1, 2004 IP
  2. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    Yep for Mac :)

Foxy, May 1, 2004 IP
  3. 0BroadProspect

0BroadProspect Peon

Best Answers:
    do you need to register with google API ?
    /BP

0BroadProspect, May 2, 2004 IP
  4. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Nope.. it queries the toolbar servers only.. it's not analyzing SERPS. Just pulling pagerank (as in the little green bar) at this point.

Though it would make sense to use the API if looking at keyword/serp ranks etc.. (truth be told, the API is only good for 1k queries per day anyhow, so any such features would prolly be scrapings.)

john_loch, May 2, 2004 IP
  5. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Just a thought - and a question i suppose to anyone who's done this before. How do people in general feel about linkware.. ie software will only run if a link is present on page xyz of site xyz with pr x (which of course is defined by a reg key generated when they dl the software.)

Any thoughts on that ? (I mean, most folks prefer to be clean and clear of requirements by the time they deploy software etc..)

What's the general concensus ? (ps - I'm aware of workaround issues etc, it's just a concensus of the general SEO community I'm after)

john_loch, May 2, 2004 IP