1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A noob question

Discussion in 'C#' started by eldo, Oct 12, 2010.

Hi all,

I am just starting off with asp.net creating a website.

How do you guys go about creating website in asp.net?.

Do i first need to work on the master page and then on forms?.

Reputation will be added for the help.

Thanks.

eldo, Oct 12, 2010 IP
  2. camjohnson95

camjohnson95 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on the website... Are you using Visual Studio? And if so what version? I tend to avoid master pages and just use 'Server.Execute ("page.aspx")' to load sections of each page. For example, <% Server.Execute("header.aspx") %>. Depending on the circumstances I may use a 'User Control' which are also very useful if you need to have seperate code for a section of the page. These are a little bit more difficult to use though (for a beginner). You need to choose a language first (either VB or C#)... If you have no programming experience then VB would be the go and if you do then C# would probably suit you better. It's hard to explain without knowing your capabilities. Do you know HTML and CSS? Have you used PHP or anything similar?

camjohnson95, Oct 13, 2010 IP
    eldo likes this.
  3. eldo

eldo Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am sorry for posting incompletely. Thanks camjohnson95. Reputation added!

I am using VS 2008 team suite. And the language i am using is c#. I have fair knowledge about HTML/CSS
    I have not used PHP or anything similar earlier.

eldo, Oct 13, 2010 IP
  4. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    You need to decide what your trying to achieve first.

We would use masterpages if intending to do a small website where the user isn't wanting to do frequent updates to content pages (in which case we'd use a CMS).

The first thing to do with any site before even loading up your development tools is to plan the site. Need to look at it first from a none technical perspective, how does the site work, what functionality does it need, what is the process flows through the site etc?

Once you have a "business plan" for the site you then start thinking about how to achieve these requirements from a technical perspective.... what elements are best handled as user controls, what are the natural groupings of functions into classes etc etc.

Only after everything is planned out do you actually start up Visual Studio. As to order of doing things, given you ahve a plan you can more or less do it in any order as you should have specified your naming convensions etc and so you can apply your style names despite not having yet writen your style sheets etc. That said, back end and front end can be developed in any order but the front end is generally easier to approach from a design first

AstarothSolutions, Oct 14, 2010 IP