1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A news letter to 60 000 users. Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by libanadam, Apr 21, 2016.

Hello,

I have been creating websites for quite some time, but I have never had a real news letter.

I have a website that has a mailing list of 60 000 users. They are in the author/reader/ebook field.

Based on the size of that list, is it worth for me to start a newsletter, in which I occasionally promote products and try to monetize on? Is 60 000 enough for the effort involved? What is a normal conversion rate for news letter promotions?

Appreciate any tips.

libanadam, Apr 21, 2016 IP
  2. Bitpalace

Bitpalace Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Interestingly enough every newsletter sender thinks of his own newsletter that it provides valuable information and is no spam. But most recipients find newsletters simply very annoying and think of them that they are spam. We kindly ask you to not to expand the amount of spam by another newsletter :) No matter whether recipients may have previously agreed with a newsletter, most of them don't like it - unless your newsletter offers free, useful goodies and presents. So if your newsletter is only for promoting products without providing a real benefit to the users like free products or services, than you should not even think about a mailing.

Bitpalace, Apr 25, 2016 IP
  3. libanadam

libanadam Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not very helpful.. you just stated the obvious.. don't send spam.

Obviously there a ton of newsletters out there that send out emails with promotions and make money with them, and there is nothing wrong with that if you have genuinely reviewed the product. They are also often balanced with 80-90% content that is not promotional.

libanadam, Apr 26, 2016 IP
  4. evelinawilliams007

evelinawilliams007 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I'd say just go for it. You have quite a sized newsletter. Without sending out an email, you will never know if your list is valuable or not. I'm wondering why you haven't sent out an email so far? I mean what were you building the list for? Like they say, the money is in your list. I've got a few smaller newsletters, I'm keeping the people updated once a month and will send out e-mails more often.

Go for it, if you don't see any results or people start unsubscribing - there's something wrong in what you're doing. ;)

What is a normal conversion rate for news letter promotions?

A. It depends on a lot of factors.

evelinawilliams007, Apr 26, 2016 IP
  5. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Within these 60,000 users are they aware in your online business? Or you just only harvested the emails from different platforms or websites. It would be better if you have less than 20 email users in which they are aware in your product and services which means there is a mutual relationship between the company and the targeted users.

KylieSweet, Apr 26, 2016 IP
  6. Mybulen

Mybulen Active Member

Best Answers:
    of course dude, send whatever you want there, obviously have an unsubscribe button but go for a weekly newsletter. make it interesting, something people will like. You have an immense email list make the best use of it. Go to fivrrr make a gig. geez i am amazed you haven't done anything with it yet. do it mate, get your newsletter out there once a week.

there is no conversation rate dude, you cannot x amount will do anything other unsubscribe or delete. Let's put it this way if you don't send them you get nothing, if you do you might get something.

Mybulen, Apr 27, 2016 IP
  7. ademmeda

ademmeda Active Member

Best Answers:
    How was the list built?

ademmeda, Apr 27, 2016 IP
  8. libanadam

Best Answers:
    All the emails are from users that have suscribed to a service on my website. They were asked if they also wanted to be a part of the newsletter. Thank you all for the help.

libanadam, Apr 28, 2016 IP
  9. ademmeda

ademmeda Active Member

Best Answers:
    So, you have their permission to send them emails, that's nice. 60,000 targeted subscribers could be quite a gold mine if you do it right. You should have started your newsletter the moment you started building your list. My suggestion would be to find quality resources (articles/ebooks/courses) about email marketing before starting your newsletter so that you can create a solid strategy for the long term. People make 5 figures a month from email marketing with much smaller lists.

Good luck :)

ademmeda, Apr 28, 2016 IP
  10. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Don't listen to him.

If you have a web site and there are 60,000 people who have submitted their email address in one way or another you can send them a newsletter but make sure you have a visible and easy unsubscribe section. Also make sure the information is relevant and of value to your user. While the main point may be to gain a sell or repeat visit the advertisement should be subtle. Subtle and indirect advertising will always work best for you.

NetStar, Apr 28, 2016 IP
  11. Tiernan

Tiernan Active Member

Best Answers:
    60,000 subscribers. WOW.

Ignore the people who call it spam as they fail to understand the definition of spam. of course some subscribers will change their minds and unsubscribe, but that's not a problem. As long as your newsletters contain what subscribers would expect in them when signing up, then you can really benefit from maintaining and optimizing this list.

I'd use it as a marketing tool as opposed to a selling one and avoid the short term gain by keeping the content relevant, interesting and engaging. As you grow, and learn what works and what doesn't, you can fine tune the content type, the design, best time and day to send etc to really convert this list to it's best.

Mailchimp is pretty good and with this many subscribers you can do A/B testing on so many variants. Test different size buttons etc.

Tiernan, May 6, 2016 IP
  12. libanadam

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the encouraging words, I will give it a shot.

libanadam, May 7, 2016 IP
  13. Tiernan

Tiernan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Welcome)) Give it more than a "shot" as the inaugural newsletter will be crucial. If some subscribers signed up months or years ago you may well lose quite a few of them.

Be personal in the 1st one, explaining that you now have something interesting to share, or something about what you were doing to improve the site/service before starting it. Keep the snippets short with links to the relevant articles in any color but green.

If it were me I'd "call in the experts" if the potential return is good.

Tiernan, May 7, 2016 IP
  14. JeffH {wx}

JeffH {wx} Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Assuming you are delivering a targeting / relevant offer, you should end up with at least a 0.5% engagement rate.

JeffH {wx}, May 8, 2016 IP
  15. laurieed2002

laurieed2002 Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe that is a great number to start a newsletter. Reaching out to your 60,000 users with a newsletter is a great way to get communication started. The hard part will be coming up with useful information that can be included in the newsletter. I also, in my humble opinion, wouldn't immediately start promoting any products initially because your users will see it for what it is, a promotion of a product or service, and delete it every time it shows up in their inbox. I will have to think on this one some more (it's 4:51am local time and my brain isn't working very well right now) and hopefully give you some more thoughts on this subject.

laurieed2002, May 8, 2016 IP
  16. unlimitedoptions4us

unlimitedoptions4us Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi:

You should be able to do fine with 60,000 subscribers. The people that are not interested will unsubscribe and that's ok.
    Hope you have been pursuing it and improving it.

Good luck.

Dan

unlimitedoptions4us, Dec 14, 2016 IP
  17. oyeahei

oyeahei Active Member

Best Answers:
    To keep up good convo and readers participation, a newsletter is not a bad Idea.
    It will help you call your readers to action and engage them as likely as possible.

oyeahei, Dec 14, 2016 IP
  18. Geoff_MedCash

Geoff_MedCash Peon

Best Answers:
    If the clients gave their email and accepted to receiving newsletters, then they should be okay with you sending them a newsletter. Simple...

Geoff_MedCash, Dec 19, 2016 IP