1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A more or less theoretical question on clicking one's own ads

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by tayiper, May 7, 2006.

Not that I have any intent to do so (I agree and understand that it wouldn't be fair etc.), but I am just curious about it in theory ...

Consider this particular example. I connect to the Internet with/though a dial-up connection, therefore I have a new IP each time I (re)connect. So the only way for Google folks to know it was me clicking my own ads is if I would be logged-into the Google AdSense site, and at the very same time, I would click on my own ad. But even then, what if this particular computer is used by more than one person (be it my family members or other people on for instance, computer at work)

Futher, I have three separate dial-up accounts (i.e. three different ISPs), so what if I would always use one of them to login to Google AdSense, and use othe other two for clicking my own ads ??

P.S. -- And yeah, what about PCs in public libraries and cyber-caffes ?? I think that there is no way for Google to know was it me or someone else that clicked on an ad. So could please anyone explain all this to me !!

thanks for any reply, tayiper

tayiper, May 7, 2006 IP
  2. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:
    If you start getting clicks over and over again from the same ISP or ISPs that happen to be close to your own ISP, it will raise flags. You could only fool them for so long, but the clicking pattern would not look natural and they would eventually ban you.

Roman, May 7, 2006 IP
  3. Art

Art Peon

Best Answers:
    In all honesty, if you're making the brunt of your income from clicking on your own ads through public computers etc. Then you really need to optimize your site to generate income from actual visitors. Plus they'll notice a stupidly high CTR.

Art, May 7, 2006 IP
  4. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Clicking on your own ads, ie clicking from a machine or IP you have accessed your account from is dangerous in the extreme. Google also use smart technology to 'best guess' the likelihood of cheating.

I have clicked on my own ads, in fact I clicked on an add and spent a few Hundred £ on my own forum. If you run a forum, and it is based on a subject you love, it is inconcievable that you will NOT click on an ad! However, I guess I had had around 20k impressions to one click.

Google can record so much information about the user that cheating will become obvious over a period of time.

Let me explain. I have one site that is earning me about £8 average per click. The traffic to this site is low, but the CTR is 14% . Much of my traffic is viral, ie people are emailing the link to friends and family, because the content I am giving away for FREE is being sold around the web for £50. Initially I was EXTREMELY worried about the high CTR (especially as I am earning decent money from one page). But the reality is that many of these users will have the toolbar installed, or will have google cookies on their machine, and google will see that my page is relevant to the pages/searches that these machines have carried out.

I guess what I am trying to say, is that Google are FAR smarter than loking at what your IP is :)

Old Welsh Guy, May 7, 2006 IP
  5. Tyler Banfield

Tyler Banfield Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I know your question was hypothetical, but for anyone reading this thread, don't risk losing your AdSense account over a few extra dollars from clicking your own ads. Once you lose your account, it's gone forever. Instead of spending time thinking of ways to trick Google, spend that time working on creating content, optimizing you ads, or SEO.

Tyler Banfield, May 7, 2006 IP
  6. tayiper

tayiper Active Member

Best Answers:
    OK, thanks much both of you for quick replies /EDIT: Well, I see now that I should rather wrote "thanks much all" ...

Anyway, as I wrote in the thread's title (i.e. "A more or less theoretical question...") and in the post itself, I am not planning to do this; nor I was thinking about it. I am simply asking this out of curiousity (I am curious person, lol)

tayiper

tayiper, May 7, 2006 IP
  7. empservices

empservices Peon

Best Answers:
    a quick thought.

you have multiple cookies from google on your website, your info is stored there. If you have the google toolbar, even more of your information is avaliable to them.

Also if your clicks are few and far between, but you click them in groups (ie: no clicks other then at 5:55pm each day there are 10 clicks on google ads).

I have no proof or even educated guesses on their tracking methods, but we can all speculate.

empservices, May 7, 2006 IP
  8. KingSEO

KingSEO Peon

Best Answers:
    Most people earn more working at McD than clicking your own ads in a fashion like that (with dialup etc).

KingSEO, May 7, 2006 IP
  9. bpearson

bpearson Peon

Best Answers:
    cookies will get set with every click

bpearson, May 7, 2006 IP
  10. abcdefGARY

abcdefGARY Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Never click on your own ads!
    Let other people click on your ads. When people click on my ads and the earnings show up the next morning, it always lights up my day to know that people are into my website.

abcdefGARY, May 7, 2006 IP
  11. superclick

superclick Peon

Best Answers:
    I think with all that money Google made with Adsense they should create system to detect and anull all ilegal clicks and not just ban account.

superclick, May 8, 2006 IP
  12. Cheap SEO Services

Cheap SEO Services <------DoFollow Backlinks

Best Answers:
    Just forget it mate! You will get caught no matter how you do it. Google are not stupid! They employ a lot of very smart people that monitor these things. And that's not theoretical! That's fact!

Cheap SEO Services, May 8, 2006 IP
  13. Indian

Indian Peon

Best Answers:
    There are lot of other things than just your IP address. As far as ppl at your home are considered I would recommend you to use plugins so that the ads are not displayed on your PC. To stay safe from clicks from same IP address I would suggest you to call up your ISP ask them the IP range provided in your area and deny access to those IPs completely. I had received a warning on a site which was targetted to local ppl in my area, I could not afford to ban IPs in my area and ultimately had to remove AdSense from that site. You might lose a few $ but you wont lose your unlimited $$$$ AdSense account.

IMO AdSense should follow something which YPN is doing. YPN follows a practise of not paying publishers for clicks coming from same PC or IP rather than banning them altogether. Also, something that avoids a set of IPs to view AdSense would be great.

Indian, May 8, 2006 IP
  14. tayiper

tayiper Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, then what about the so-called "Impressions" then; or are they called "Page Impressions" (I am not quite sure) ??

I mean, as far as I understand, an impression is the number of how many times the add was displayed. Is this also limited, i.e. meaning that I am not allowed to load my own site too many times ?? Is this potentially dangerous in terms of loosing the AdSense account ??

You see, it's that when I am in the process of updating my site, I refresh it many many times, upload some document, realize that I've messed-up something, then upload it again load the site once more etc. etc. One such an example: for instance yesterday one of the AdSense ads was not displayed properly (or rather at all), and so I was refreshing the page in question, checking the document's source etc., all this in an attempt to troubleshoot/discover the culprit. What I want to say is that in this particular case, there is no other way of doing it (i.e. no way around), but being on-line and opening/closing/refreshing the problematic page.

tayiper

tayiper, May 8, 2006 IP
  15. Indian

Indian Peon

Best Answers:
    You wont get banned by alot of impressions from same ip/PC. Its the clicks tht matters. BTW, placing Ads on free hosting sites is breaking of TOS :)

Indian, May 8, 2006 IP
  16. tayiper

tayiper Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I am not so sure about this. Others here said it's OK, and Google also confirmed my site, i.e. the one hosted on a free-host ...

tayiper

tayiper, May 8, 2006 IP
  17. Indian

Indian Peon

Best Answers:
    Cool! I think it is allowed...Then too would recommend mailing Google, asking them and if its a yes then save the email for future problems caused if any.

You have a good site. You should go for some cheap hosting rather then keeping it free. Dont risk your AdSense account with free hosts. Once banned ...you will never be able to join AdSense.

Indian, May 8, 2006 IP
  18. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    Put it out of your mind, my son. No matter how smart you think you are, Google has 1,000 geeks on the payroll smarter than you.

jackburton2006, May 8, 2006 IP
  19. tayiper

tayiper Active Member

Best Answers:
    OK, I see that this thread is causing some confusion ...

Well, so once more: IT IS ONLY A THEORETICAL QUESTION, and NO, I DO NOT HAVE ANY INTENT TO DO THIS (i.e. click on my own ads); I mean wtf, don't you believe me, duhh ??

/NOTE: The text above is in upper-case and bolded for emphasis ...

tayiper

tayiper, May 8, 2006 IP
  20. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh, let's not kid ourselves. We were all Adsense noobs at one point, and we all entertained this thought, or something like it, when at the beginning. When you're starting out, and not making any money, you think there's nothing to lose, so you start coming up with ideas on how to get some money. Trust me, we've all thought about it. You just happen to have put thought to computer screen, as it were.

P.S. Don't be surprised if Adsense has flagged you as a potential cheater. They have trolls on this board. Believe me. ;)

jackburton2006, May 8, 2006 IP