1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A Moral Dileima

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by TCR, Mar 30, 2006.

1. mihaidamianov

mihaidamianov Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    TCR - a question for you, quite offtopic. It looks like you changed your website's layout. Did that increase your income? Actually, I'm interested if CTR went higher. My guess would be it didn't. ;)

If you don't mind answering.. Thanks

Mihai

On topic: I'd warn the guys, it's their choice afterwards. And yes, I'm an Adwords advertiser as well..

mihaidamianov, Mar 31, 2006 IP
  2. TCR

TCR Peon

Best Answers:
    I do not really notice the click thru rate, as the eCPM fluctuates, and the number of impressions vary daily, the only numbers I notice are the ones that start with $ :p

TCR, Mar 31, 2006 IP
  3. GADOOD

GADOOD Peon

Best Answers:
    Please do not go under the guise of 'They're cheating'. That is quite frankly irrelevant.

The questions is: You know you may be able to get their account toasted, and since they're your competitors now you feel the urge to do it, to hurt them in your own self-interest.

That is absolutely fine, but don't mask it with a 'moral dilema'. Go ahead and report them if you want them to suffer for being your competition.

The likely fact is, is that Google will probably mail them requesting they remove the incitements, they will remove them, and all will be fine.

They will still be earning through AdSense and they will still be your competitiors.

I know exactly what you're trying to achieve here - it's not weeding out a 'bad guy' - it's weeding out your competition.

But it isn't going to happen.

Why don't you try and Google Bowl them if all you want to do is fuck them over because they're your competition and you have a chance at harming their earnings? </toungue in cheek>

Pete

GADOOD, Mar 31, 2006 IP
  4. mihaidamianov

mihaidamianov Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A very diplomatic answer I must admit. Well good luck to you! ;)

mihaidamianov, Mar 31, 2006 IP
  5. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    What a stupid suggestion. When you join the program you must agree to the TOS before being accepted, so there is no excuse for not reading it.

fryman, Mar 31, 2006 IP
  6. GADOOD

GADOOD Peon

Best Answers:
    Fryman: We all sign-up to agreements and contracts and are guilty of not reading the fine print. The full length AdSense TOS are particulary heavy.

There is a particular and bitter hatred toward TOS breakers here on DP which I feel is quite odd. More then likely because some aren't satisfied with their own earnings and they feel for some reason like these TOS breakers are a direct threat to their own earnings, which they aren't.

Personally, I don't care what others are doing. If Google is serious about their programs and the longevity, then it's down to them to deal with.. and that they are, I'm sure.

For the majority of people new to AdSense, this is something I would forgive them for. If they knew it could get their account toasted they wouldn't do it. Yes it's because they didn't read the agreement properly or made some assumptions, but they deserve a fair warning before being canned. Many on DP wish they were canned right away but that's because these 'many' like you Fryman and most people chasing big dollars, are utterly selfish and unforgiving and the less using AdSense the better.

Shame on you all.

Pete

GADOOD, Mar 31, 2006 IP
  7. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    So says the guy with 900+ posts and a red dot in lieu of a "reputation". Will wonders never cease. :rolleyes:

jackburton2006, Mar 31, 2006 IP
    Crazy_Rob likes this.
  8. TCR

TCR Peon

Best Answers:
    To be quite honest, before I began advertising and reading this forum, both of which happened about the same time, I would not care a bit. In fact I never noticed the ads. Have you ever heard the expression, 'not in my backyard?'. Well, my friend, this is in my backyard. Yes, because (a), they are my competition, and (b), they are using adsense, a network of which I am a member.

In the spirit of this forum, and other Adsense publishers, I along with many others do notice such things as well placed ad units, inovative blending techniques and yes, we also notice violations. The good and the bad. Should people be praised only, and not punished?

I disclosed fron post #1, that this was a competitor of mine. Since Iam in the mindset of being an honest publisher, I noticed the violation and asked my peers what they thought. Do not try and tell me my 'motives'. I was as straight forward as one can be. If all I wanted to do was eliminate their account, I would have reported the violation and not said a word.

TCR, Mar 31, 2006 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  9. GADOOD

GADOOD Peon

Best Answers:
    Nah, you needed a bit of support before you reported them so you didn't feel like a bastard since they inspired your website and now you felt these urges to hurt them.

That's all.

I hope you achieve what you desired to by reporting them.

Pete

GADOOD, Mar 31, 2006 IP
  10. Seiya

Seiya Peon

Best Answers:
    Whyd you feel guilty for getting a cheater competitor out of your way :S

Seiya, Mar 31, 2006 IP
  11. TCR

TCR Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry pal, but you are way off. And BTW, the ToS is not that 'heavy'.

TCR, Mar 31, 2006 IP
  12. TCR

TCR Peon

Best Answers:
    Aomeone redmarked my for 'rating my own thread'. If I did that, I did not mean to, I am sure that I was trying to add to someones rep. Sorry!:eek:

edit: maybe I did hit something on accident, sorry.

TCR, Mar 31, 2006 IP
    mihaidamianov and jackburton2006 like this.
  13. ~Julia~

~Julia~ Peon

Best Answers:
    It's nothing to do with being threatened by what others are earning. It's about protecting advertisers from losing money due to fraudulant clicks. If they lose money in this way then they will be more inclined to find alternative methods of advertising, which in turn hurts publishers. By protecting advertisers I am looking after my own interests as a publisher. I want advertising to be beneficial to advertisers to they stick around & hopefully make me money in the process.

So yes, it's motivated by selfishness, but it's not out of bitterness towards other publisher's earnings, just people who are cheating/stealing advertisers money.

~Julia~, Apr 1, 2006 IP
    jackburton2006 likes this.