1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A little HTML or CSS Issue? :)

Discussion in 'CSS' started by acrich, Jul 9, 2014.

Hi Dear members,

i have ( i think) a little issue with my test website. With the HTML or CSS...
    I am a starting webdesigner, and Iam still practice at this moment with free templates. Iam now working on a website with a few pages.

This is the website, www.fienelien.nl /oefen

I Got extended the menu, and renames it. So far so good. Only when i click for example, on "Over Fienelien", then the menu will be white, and he did not switch to the page I want. Then I can also not return, and he seems to get stuck, also below in the menu, it get stuck!

I can also not find the link/reference into the code. I understand that the index code need more section, but considering I'm beginning webdesigner, I am now stuck there... and i'm lost it a little bit...

I would like to ask your professional help! dear member!

Can you tell me where it goes wrong, and what I have to do ...?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Regards, Carlos!

acrich, Jul 9, 2014 IP
  2. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Well, for someone starting out, you've dived into the deep end of the pool on things that to be frank, have no blasted business on a website in the first place.

Like the stupid 'scripted loading' garbage making the page take forever to even show up, massive background images that have no business on the main page of a website, hundreds of K of scripting and over 100k of CSS before you even have content on the page...

It's a laundry list of how not to build a website, and I've not even peeked at the code yet.

Ah, bootcrap. Do yourself a favor, find a large stick and scrape that off your boot. That explains the RIDICULOUS amount of CSS on a page that doesn't even have content yet. By itself bootcrap is 50% bigger than I usually allow a page template to reach; that's HTML+CSS+SCRIPTS+IMAGES!

As to your menu problem, I can't even figure out what you expect it to do... though it LOOKS like scripttardery to replicate frameset behavior on the page, mostly to cover up for a lack of content.

I know not what you are trying to accomplish with this, but you might want to learn to use HTML and CSS properly, as well as concepts like semantic markup, separation of presentation from content, progressive enhancement and accessibility minimums before diving for goofy scripted navigation crap that even if it worked, would just make the page harder for users to actually use. There's a reason you don't see that stuff on most 'real' websites.

... and do yourself a HUGE favor, and pitch that halfwit bloated nonsense known as bootcrap in the trash. You can learn nothing of value from it as all it does is piss all over every website it's used on. Same goes for the jQuery nonsense, especially in this case since, well...

There's this thing called the "unwritten rule of JavaScript" -- which is: "If you can't make a page that works properly without JavaScript FIRST, you likely have no business adding scripting to it!"

Lemme put it this way, you have three megabytes in 33 files to deliver less than 2k of plaintext... and that's 30 times or more what should be used to deliver what's important -- your CONTENT. Everything else is pointless window dressing that just makes it harder for visitors to use.

deathshadow, Jul 10, 2014 IP
    COBOLdinosaur likes this.
  3. COBOLdinosaur

COBOLdinosaur Active Member

Best Answers:
    Then why are you screwing around with third party junk written by third-rate crap merchants.

You start with the basics. That means you produce some real content; which is what people want when they visit a web site. No content pages are little more than rude renderings on the walls of a public toilet. It does not matter how pretty they are; without content they have no value. Once you have some content then learn how to do the markup (doing your own coding, not from some crap collect written by a moron who can't make a living doing real web development). Now you can experiment with various style options through CSS; and finally when you have a page worth presenting to the world; if you want to do some cute nonsense learn real scripting (both client and server side); but not the DOM breaking, standards don't matter, abortion called jquery.

At that point you can call yourself a novice developer, and you can drop the "novice" part when you see people actually linking to your pages and generating traffic. You can upgrade to calling yourself a professional developers when you have clients willing to pay enough for your services that you can make a decent living from it.

COBOLdinosaur, Jul 10, 2014 IP
    deathshadow likes this.