1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A few general questions on bans and detection.

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by thricelll, Jun 26, 2007.

I was very suprised to learn that pay per click programs were still viable today. I never knew "Ads By Google" were PPC. I say I'm suprised because I was into PPC programs in the early 90s and there were massive problems with fraud and sabotage. Whats to stop your competitor from click bombing your site? Lets say someone had an extrmely niche site and there were only 3 main competitors. Couldn't they fly to the competiting webmaster's city, connect to any IP they could find and begin clicking? How is the Webmaster going to explain to Google that he wasn't involved when the IPs were comming from his city. One cannot assume people are not that evil in business. When taking out one competitor can mean a 20+% in revenue one must assume a competitor will be willing to take those measures.

Lets not even get into worrying about competitor sabotage. What about the people who make ads off their blogs. What if someone doesn't like what your saying and decide to sabotage your blog by doing generating false clicks. I can think of many ways to do this other than just sitting on the computer and click the ads again and again. A 12 year old script kiddie (no programming knowledge) can take over a few computers through trojan horses and have the clicks come from 10 or more computers. The point is if someone with the mindset of doing fraudulent clicks and get caught then someone can do the same to you. Obviously there will be the few idiots that will try by clicking their ads 10000 times and Google will realize it was a sabotage. But what about the smarter individuals that will use different IPs and do it over a course of a few months?

I never got into PPC after high school due to the fact they can just tell you your clicks were invalid and not pay you. This is why I think Google Adsense is a joke and other PPCs. Can you imagine if someone hires you to paint their house, decides to not pay you and refuses to give you a good reason.

"I'm not paying you"

"Why?"

"Because you didn't do a good job"

"What did I do wrong, show me."

"I can't tell you, but you didn't do a good job"

I've read most of the post on the forum and I can tell you in the court their reasons to terminate the agreements and withhold payment is much too vague. The reason they can get away with it is because no one is crazy enough to go against their lawyers. I can't buy their reasons to not explain their proof due to protectoin of detection methods.

Can I assume most people here that make money off their sites only rely on Adsense for 20% of their revenue? I don't know why I even care, but it concerns me when I see a site that bases their revenue off one company. I had 600 dollars owed to me at one time. Luckily I was only 16 and would have used it to buy a new stereo. I can't imagine someone who lives off of it. This was true back then and I'm sure even more true today: the relationship of being able to trick the PPC company is an inverse of how good they are at catching people. With AdSense being such a dominant force in online advertising this means they can be more free on banning any form of suspicious activities; which probably means it's easier to sabotage a site.

So what is different 10 years ago compared to now? I don't think any of the PPCs companies survived past the year 2000 and curious of how AdSense will survive the next 10 years. I really want to hear opinions on people who have been in this business for over a decade. How can Google tell if someone using massive Trojans in generating clicks to legitimate clicks. Smart fraudsters back then knew to buy the products once in a while through their clicks, make visits repeats without clicks, spread out the accounts and to not over do it. Does Google accept EINs(ability to create unlimited accounts for payout) or only social security numbers? Thanks for reading. I've been looking on how PPCs have changed throughout the times and would welcome any comments.

thricelll, Jun 26, 2007 IP