1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A Few CJ Questions

Discussion in 'Commission Junction' started by profecy, Mar 3, 2006.

OK, I'm kind of new to the whole CJ thing and somewhat new to affiliate marketing (haven't had much success with it yet...) but I just have a few questions: First, for the EPC is this number acurate? If I understand it correctly for a program that has an EPC of $85, lets say, if I send them 200 targeted visitors I SHOULD make $170 if I do everything correctly, right? Because if this is right, with some work I could easily run 5-6 sites/blogs that could get 100 clickthroughs a day..and at ~$75-$100 EPC....that's not bad.
    Another thing I was wondering is when I put text links on my pages they include an img tag, that displays a 1X1 square image after the link, which is kind of annoying, can I just dump this, or do I need to leave it there?
    Thanks for your help

profecy, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  2. goScooby

goScooby Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe the 1 pixel image is for tracking purposes and so the sale can be properly credited to you. That way if the viewer does not have cookies enabled or the cookie is hijacked you still have the possiblity of being credited with the sale.

goScooby, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  3. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    You can't just send any traffic, they have to be willing to buy whatever is offered by the merchant. It's not as simple as you say it is. But if you have relevant traffic that is likely to buy whatever is on offer, then yeah, EPC can well be accurate.

You can get rid of the img but if you want good stats, leave it. You can't monitor CTR easily without it so if you take aff serious I'd leave it (or use your own logs to determine CTR).

T0PS3O, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  4. profecy

profecy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ok, the image thing makes sense now.
    Of course, the traffic has to be targeted and from a reputable source. That's definitely what I meant, not just some random, unrelated clicks.

profecy, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  5. Micromag

Micromag Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, or more or less - The EPC of $85 means the average of all publisher using that advertiser: you can have some Publisher with a low performance of EPC= $30 but it has another of $135 that make an average of $85 - so use the $85 as a reference only, not as a promise of success for you.

Regarding the concept, yes you got it if you have 200 clicks and make $170 in commission this result the $EPC in $85

There is one advertiser that has EPC of $90 and I drive very targeted traffic there using AdWords. The result is that my EPC with this advertiser is $250 - so a help to push the EPC up but there is a lot of people that the EPC is bellow $90 there - so use the EPC as reference do not think that 100 clicks will give you the EPC amount.

The first rule is that you need to have a targeted traffic.

I had a experience from an advertiser that was with an EPC of about $1,000.00 and after 1200 clicks I receive no sale in commission: So where is my $12,000.00 in commission? This is an extreme example that EPC is just reference and always use target customer: if your site is about web Hosting don't try to offer a Loan to your visitors.

You can for sure remove this tag. I never used it and I receive my commissions normally.

What is this tag for: This tag is for tracking Impressions and calculate CTR% - so if you remove this you will not have these statistics in your CJ account.

Micromag, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  6. 5starAffiliates

5starAffiliates Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    EPC is an average over 1,000s of affiliates that may be in the program. The number can be EASILY skewed by a number of factors. I used to manage CJ programs. But yes, in theory if everything is perfectly line up - right traffic, right ad placement, etc you could earn that much.

5starAffiliates, Mar 3, 2006 IP