1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A Digg article

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by LadyHoldem, Dec 27, 2006.

I wrote an article for Digg over the last few hours.. but I think it got off track just a bit..

The article is based on Digg and online gambling.. would love some opinions.. critique etc.

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Broadening_Our_Digg_Horizons

LadyH

*Edit* I considered using the URL of the actual article.. but i figured THAT would be spam.. appearntly per my reputation points.. I was again mistaken (As I generally am when it comes to the DP reputation and infraction system) sooo.. for those of us that think linking to the digg rather than the actual webpage where i sell things is spam..

here's THAT link .. http://spiceyournet.com/digg.html

LadyHoldem, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  2. softwareprojects

softwareprojects Active Member

Best Answers:
    One of the most important skills when writing for Digg users, similar to writing for PPC, is getting the title right and getting the two line description right.

Your title of "Broadening Our Digg Horizons" is not controversy enough and your description is (please don't take it personally - you asked for an honest opinion) boring.

You need to engage, scare, humor, annoy or do whatever it takes to raise above the noise level and get users to click on the link.

After reading your article, I would go with a title like "Front page on Digg.com? No problem"

This is guaranteed to get far more clicks than "Broadening our Digg Horizons"

Next challenge is to get users to "digg" your story. They will digg it if the content is relevant to the title and if the content is either humorous, adds to their knowledge, or just plain cool.

I couldn't help you there, but overall try to give users something to run with after reading your article.

--

P.S> There are always shortcuts similar to spike-the-vote, digg click circles, joining forces with a digg power user and getting him/her to submit for you etc. But since we're all whitehat here no sense in discussing these foil techniques.

softwareprojects, Dec 27, 2006 IP
    LadyHoldem likes this.
  3. Austars

Austars Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yea I can almost guarantee that won't make the frontpage, most people only look at the title and if its interesting they'll read the description and then consider reading/digging the article, otherwise they pass it.

Austars, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  4. LadyHoldem

LadyHoldem Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Alrighty, guess I'll work on a new one for tomorrow, thanks for the advice though :) It was nice to see that the advice in the forum was constructive in nature, rather than general slams :) ... Software Projects, I gave rep.. very nice reply :)

If nothing else.. I'm definately motivated to add content .. see a win win ;) hehe

Thanx again..
    ~LadyH

LadyHoldem, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  5. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My comment is about the writing itself.

Your title is about online gambling and Digg, yet all the info above the fold is just a bunch of chatter--none of which is about the topic. That's a major issue.

Okay, I know you are just messing around with Digg, but if the goal was to write a solid article, it needs to be completely reworked.

It looks like you got crossed up between writing an informative article and a research paper for class. There's elements of both and they don't blend well. Who exactly is the target for this piece?

I could go on, but I don't want to publicly edit your work, because 1) I'm not sure if this is a final version and 2) it would be fair to the clients that pay me for editing their work. ;)

Hope that gives you some guidance and I really hope you don't take it as a "slam," because I have nothing to gain by doing that--and neither do you.

marketjunction, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  6. Red01

Red01 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi MarketingJunction. I am new to DP and noticed you are very kind in the help you give to other people. As a result of this I would like to offer you some advice so we can all improve together :)

I had a look at your copywriting web site and on the whole good job. I have provided a link so you can learn a bit more about when to use capital letters. Great website though!

http : // en . wikipedia . org / wiki /Wikipedia:Manual_of_Style_(capital_letters)

Red01, Jan 21, 2007 IP
    LadyHoldem likes this.
  7. internetauthor

internetauthor Peon

Best Answers:
    Red01,

The advice you're offering Jason is the Wikipedia Style Guide. i.e. It contains the requirements for writing articles for Wikipedia.

Those rules might differ just a bit from solid journalism-based copywriting practices.

Of course all writing styles are this way. Formal writing style differs from conversational style, and MLA and APA are certainly not the same thing. It's all about specialties and particular areas of expertise.

But I'm sure MarketJunction appreciates the compliment and advice, and it was very kind of you to offer them.

Rebecca

internetauthor, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  8. marketjunction

Best Answers:
    One thing you'll learn about "Style" is that it various from organization to organization.

For instance, your typical newspaper uses AP style. However, big ones, like the NY Times, use their own style guide.

Also, copywriting style varies widely and shouldn't be confused with writing as a journalist, fiction writer or whatever. It usually isn't even close.

The link you provided is for those writing content for Wikipedia. Remember, style is there to create a consistency across a site, book, company, etc. It's a set of rules.

marketjunction, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  9. Red01

Red01 Peon

Best Answers:
    So I can ask what style guide you apply in your writing? Never heard of it before.

Red01, Jan 23, 2007 IP
  10. marketjunction

Best Answers:
    I think you missed the point. I'll try to simplify it.

Style: A set of rules.

Who makes the style rules? The boss.

Style is there to provide writing constancy across a platform. That platform could be a newspaper, website, magazine, business or an entire industry.

When it comes to style, the only right or wrong is whether or not you followed the style you were supposed to be writing under.

For instance, one of your style rules might be to put the word EAT in all capitals. Every time you write EAT it must be capitalize. It's right if you do it and wrong if you don't.

You mentioned you went to my "copywriting" site, which is a service that provides marketing and advertising copy. This is NOT the same as writing articles in a newspaper and it's not AP style. In fact, it's not even the same writing flow.

In copywriting, having a one-word sentence is perfectly fine. However, doing this in a news story isn't encouraged.

If you're interested in learning more about copywriting, I'd recommend picking up some books on the subject or checking to see if your local university offers classes in the area.

Should you be interested in style as it pertains to Journalism, pick up the AP Style Guide from a bookstore.

marketjunction, Jan 23, 2007 IP
  11. Red01

Red01 Peon

Best Answers:
    Here is a link Jason might find helpful. It is entitled "A Little Help with Capitals".

http: //owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/592/01/

Red01, Jan 24, 2007 IP
  12. marketjunction

Best Answers:
    Reread what I posted a few times.

marketjunction, Jan 24, 2007 IP
  13. Red01

Red01 Peon

Best Answers:
    Re-read. So you feel it is okay to say "over their", where "over there" would be traditionally correct, as long as you provide consistency in doing it. I understand. I also agree deviation from standard rules is okay when done for a purpose. What was yours?

Also - is it okay to make up your own spelling for words, as long as you implement this with consistency?

Red01, Jan 24, 2007 IP
  14. marketjunction

Best Answers:
    What I "feel" or want doesn't matter for anything except those things I control. Style is determined by those in charge.

If you were writing from the NY Times and the NY Times Style Guide said to use "butter" instead of "pudding," that's what you would do.

Style isn't really about grammar. It's about presentation. For instance, one style rule might be to CAP the first letter of each word in a headline. Therefore, your headlines would always be something like:

This Is My Headline

Another style rule might be to have all lowercase letters in a headline like:

this is my headline

Here's another style item. The postal abbreviation for California is CA. However, if you write CA in a news article that's enforced by AP Style, it's wrong.

Why? Because, AP style says that the appropriate abbreviation for California is Calif.

If you're truly interested in what style is, I'm sure there are plenty of free resources out there. Just remember that a "style" isn't the global law. It's simply a set of rules for those using it.

marketjunction, Jan 24, 2007 IP
  15. Red01

Red01 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have never been issued a style guide with your headline rules in it.

Why do you not respond to the post that bestcopywriter started? I understand it is hard to be wrong, but sometimes you are best to confront these things.

In case you had forgot, you said : "efforts" is not a word, and explained to bestcopywriter that he should not be making spelling mistakes in advertisements. This is not the case, as I proved.

Do you wish to make an apology to bestcopywriter? Your arrogance and ignorance shock me, and raise serious doubts over your integrity and professionalism.

One of your friends and a member of the "copywriting clique" explained to me that you would be happy to respond if I invited you. This is an invitation.

Red01, Jan 24, 2007 IP
  16. Red01

Red01 Peon

Best Answers:
    For your reference the post is entitled "Article Writer available for any type of writing projects".

Red01, Jan 24, 2007 IP
  17. internetauthor

internetauthor Peon

Best Answers:
    Red01,

May I ask why this issue over style and effort/efforts so important to you?

Perhaps it is time to let bygones be bygones and move on...

Rebecca

internetauthor, Jan 24, 2007 IP
    LadyHoldem likes this.