1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Rules 9 Points For Like Trades I Never Did?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Helvetii, Jan 29, 2013.

1. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Multiple users you gave likes to reported it because *they* didn't think whatever you wrote was "like-worthy". Now if multiple users report you for *that*, how many pointless likes are you actually throwing out?

digitalpoint, Jan 29, 2013 IP
  2. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Well this thread at the very least, has proven that they are "being tough". This is all new and naturally there are going to be some adjustments made and a learning curve to deal with. I guess we'll all have it sorted out soon enough.

Spoiltdiva, Jan 29, 2013 IP
  3. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Shawn, I don't think I have spread more than 10-15 likes since the update, most of them in the first few days when there was no such rule where a user has to be careful that he likes only "worthy" stuff.

I would bet that all the likes I got infractions for were given before that was added to the rules, when I used to think that the like system was more "facebook-like" where you can like anything, who knew that users perception of what they "like" would be made subject to moderator scrutiny retrospectively?
    ... and that to punishable by heavy infractions

Helvetii, Jan 29, 2013 IP
  4. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    That rule was not added after the fact, not allowing users to spam the system with pointless likes was always under the rules in the spamming section.

5. IG2010

IG2010 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am too tempted to like your post but I might get a warning for that :cool:
    Even on Facebook I hardly like things if there are not insteresting just for the sake of getting likes myself on my posts, so giving likes on here will be even a tough job for me unless I really get what I want, since I hardly find things I really want...

IG2010, Jan 29, 2013 IP
  6. indyonline

indyonline Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think it's really an issue unless you are giving them to unestablished members. I could be wrong though.

indyonline, Jan 29, 2013 IP
  7. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The way it is written in the rules:

Attempts to artificially manipulate any of our systems can be seen as spam (for example if you "like" a zillion posts that are not really likable)

Artificially manipulate by liking a zillion posts sounds more like using a bot to manipulate than liking 4-5 posts which are "dumb" from someones perspectives.

Anyway I think the points been made, we shouldn't like stuff unless we are 100% sure that it's "likable".

Now can anything be done about my 1-point-away-from-4-month-ban-because-of-minor-gray-area offence situation?

8. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You can give likes to anyone if it's a good post. But when you have the *reciever* of likes going out of their way to point out that likes they received aren't worth the like they got... And we get multiple reports like that for likes you gave... Then sure... Might start being a problem.

9. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    I believe I've given out between 6-8 likes.(I'm not sure of the exact number) What I am sure of is that half of them were given out to unestablished members. I did it with a sense of great pleasure realizing that I was helping them out.
    It was obvious to me that these members who had *never* participated in the discussions before were at least trying to get with the program. Were they trying to get likes? You bet they were...which means that this new system is doing what it was designed to do.

10. indyonline

Best Answers:
    Understandable but you can't do that. Can't just give likes to help people out. It's against the rules, defeats the purpose and is not fair for other members. Plus you could poentially be allowing spammers access to our forum.

not if people are giving likes just to help people out.

11. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Point taken. Now is it possible to reduce the 9 points to something less severe?

Like spoiltdiva above I also gave out likes to people who were many years/posts old but locked out of BST due to lack of likes, I saw them participating here, agreed with there view and gave likes out of compassion and support.

12. indyonline

Best Answers:
    That kinda proves you deserved the penalty.
    Sorry, JS

13. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It's fine to give likes for anything you want... They don't necessary have to be helpful... Maybe they are funny or whatever you like about it. But like I said, if we feel it's being abused, we have no problem taking action. Say for example a new user signs up and posts, "Hi guyz!" as his one and only post. And then right after that post gets 3 random likes. Yeah... Something fishy is going on.

14. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:

I don't remember giving any such likes, since i didn't get any mail for any infractions (i checked again) maybe you can tell me which likes were considered abusive over here or via PM. I need to know what I was doing wrong

15. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I don't recall which 3 likes they were... But I know it was 3 reports from the receivers. There isn't a way to warn someone on a post without warning the poster (which is why they had to be generic profile warnings).

16. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    No you misread my point. I didn't *just* give out likes to help newbies. I gave them out because they *deserved* them *and* I was helping them out at the sametime. Killing two birds with one stone Indy.:)

17. indyonline

Best Answers:
    Oh, ok. Gotcha. Sorry I misunderstood.

18. Jenni Clark

Jenni Clark Banned

Best Answers:
    Issues like this are surely just going to put users off using the like system? There's already not enough likes being given to non-established members, penalizing people because they "like" something which a mod or admin doesn't agree with just seems to further show the problem and highlight for other already-established users that using the like system could be potentially dangerous to them, their account, and their online business on this forum.

Jenni Clark, Jan 29, 2013 IP
  19. indyonline

Best Answers:
    It's to prevent abuse....
    Come on now... If it weren't in place this place would be spammed like crazy.
    Think outside the box...

20. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:

Honestly, I'm not put off giving likes, whether to an established or non-established user. If something is like-worthy, then I'll like it. (As in helpful, funny or similar.) Maybe worry about this less and you might be surprised by what happens.

ryan_uk, Jan 29, 2013 IP
    digitalpoint likes this.