1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

8 Tips to Becoming a RICHER Freelance Writer

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Ray P., Sep 30, 2007.

I've been a freelance writer for 3 years. Now, I'm semi retired, having taken an in house Web editor position for a new Web 2.0 startup launching this winter. I'd like to give writers on here 8 tips on becoming a more powerful, richer freelance writer that have helped me out a lot.

1.Break out of the mold

Too many writers are on here willing to work for cheap rates without seeing what is beyond the horizon. $1.00 for 100 words is highway robbery. If you want to work for these rates, fine. There is a huge market for this, and a high volume of this type of work can earn you some money, but unless you're in a third world country, you are wasting your time alongside other writers making $100 per 700 word article.

2. Diversify

Digitalpoint is hands down the best "cheap writing services" forum I've come across. You don't want 90% of your clients through here. Go through other sources like private message boards, mediabistro, etc.

3. Fix your samples

99% of samples I see look like they came from PLR sources. Private label rights articles are generic, boring, and the biggest scam to hit the "article industry" I've ever seen. It encourages people to get lazy with their content. Read your sample and ask yourself if it reads something like this ...

"Gardening is an art form. Much attention should be paid to watering your plants, giving it the right temperature, and care."

It's junk. You might find clients looking for these types of articles, but you won't get paid much. Add freshness to your article. Throw in a quote from an authority. Use uncommon adjectives that flow right. Switch it up. Practice your craft.

4. Build feedback in places where there are thoughtful reviews of your work by clients.

"Great article writer. Definitely would recommend." doesn't cut it.

5. Less is more. Outsource if necessary.

If you have your heart set on writing for cheap rates and attracting high volume work, outsource it. Time is more valuable. More time equals more marketing and job search opportunities.

6. Don't Trust Anybody. (rhetoric)

I've hired many freelance writers. I've seen my friends hiring other freelance writers as well. 85% of them fail in some way or another by copying and pasting, disappearing, etc.

Why do they do this?

a. They apply for too many jobs, get many jobs, and leave the lower paying clients out high and dry.
    b. They lose interest in the assignment
    c. They have preferred clients
    d. Lack of discipline behind online interaction, etc.

Learn not to trust anybody. High paying articles plus doing the work yourself is the best policy.

7. Rethink your strategy

If you're writing someone an ebook for $200, you might as well do it for them for free. What if that person turns around and sells 200 copies of that ebook for $17.99 each?

If you're awarding full rights to a $5 article, you're really selling it for $1. Many cheap article writers share rights with their clients, where they are then able to flip it on some other outlet. I know people who can take a good quality $5 article and turn it into $25 this way. If you're this type of capitalist, go for it. Maximize your time. Maximize the power of your articles.

Remember, the copyright is worth more than the price you're asking for.

8. Think of the one, big idea.

Why are there so many people looking for articles? Have those cheap article rewrite software programs done the job? A one, BIG IDEA has not revolutionized the article writing industry yet. Look for that big idea that can automate, improve on, etc. Become an entrepreneur.

Here is a clue to get started
    Web 2.0 & articles

;)

Ray P., Sep 30, 2007 IP
    getjimmy, Rolex and Analyst like this.
  2. Analyst

Analyst Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for sharing such valuable tips!

Same issue has already been discussed in a thread in copywriting section, sometimes back and many people have come up with a list of ideas there as well. You've summed up all those ideas in a very effective way.

Regards,

Analyst, Sep 30, 2007 IP
  3. TeKn1qu3z

TeKn1qu3z Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not much of a writer myself but very interesting.

TeKn1qu3z, Sep 30, 2007 IP
  4. KeywordsandCopy

KeywordsandCopy Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the info. I am making a good amount of money right now through my freelance writing, see my blog, but your tips should help to increase my income even more!

KeywordsandCopy, Oct 1, 2007 IP
  5. rancari

rancari Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for these advices!

rancari, Oct 2, 2007 IP
  6. sir_round

sir_round Active Member

Best Answers:
    have you tested them, yet? What are the results like?

sir_round, Oct 2, 2007 IP
  7. dorg

dorg Peon

Best Answers:
    This is great. I was thinking of starting an article writing service and this has helped me rethink my strategy. +Rep

dorg, Oct 2, 2007 IP
  8. The Emirates Gallastico

The Emirates Gallastico Banned

Best Answers:
    Great tips :)

Will put those into use ;)

9. netbizman

netbizman Peon

Best Answers:
    Great tips - especially the part about "Breaking out of the Mold."

Too many writers are willing to sell themselves short. Personally, I believe in "you need to start somewhere" philosophy, but eventually a person will need to revamp their pricing structure.

To beat a dead horse...the thing to do as a writer is to develop a "Niche!" Become the expert in a field of writing: Press Releases, Health, Alternative Medicine, Finance, etc. - once you've established yourself then you can command a higher price.

The other point to consider is using a cheaper price structure for content outside your "niche." But don't settle for the too low of a price.

netbizman, Oct 2, 2007 IP
  10. DeniseJ

DeniseJ Live, Laugh, Love

Best Answers:
    I was just going to say that, netbizman. Do NOT underestimate the power of specialization - and networking within your field!

General content writers can get a lot of work (usually for appalling rates,) but if you specialize in one or two areas of expertise, you will be able to command higher rates because of your experience. Will DP members pay for this experience? More often than not, no. But that's why networking with other established writers is ESSENTIAL.

If they are approached about an assignment that isn't within their field, but they know that another writer is, they'll pass on that writer's contact info. A lot of my work comes through referrals.

DeniseJ, Oct 2, 2007 IP
  11. greatnj

greatnj Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks for sharing such valuable tips!

greatnj, Oct 2, 2007 IP
  12. big-size

big-size Peon

Best Answers:
    It's article is very nice. Thanks for advice

big-size, Oct 2, 2007 IP
  13. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Web2.0 went out at the beginning of the summer.....:eek:

Were at 3.0 .....better catch up and quick sheesh :D

Sem-Advance, Oct 2, 2007 IP
  14. Cozmo Kramer

Cozmo Kramer Active Member

Best Answers:
    Very valuable tips. Should help alot of freelancer writers out. Thanks for sharing.

Cozmo Kramer, Oct 2, 2007 IP
  15. achita

achita Peon

Best Answers:
    Good Tips, Thanks for your advices.

achita, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  16. AndrewCavanagh

AndrewCavanagh Member

Best Answers:
    If you really want to make money as a copywriter the most important tip of all is to do writing that makes your clients a measurable and significant amount of money.

Writing ebooks really doesn't do that.

Nor does writing articles.

Writing sales copy certainly will do it as will writing Google ads that bring in real business.

Copywriters in these results related fields make many many times what general copywriters make.

Kindest regards,
    Andrew Cavanagh

AndrewCavanagh, Oct 4, 2007 IP
  17. daphnesk2

daphnesk2 Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for sharing~ love it^^

daphnesk2, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  18. AnniCanClick

AnniCanClick Active Member

Best Answers:
    I love the tips you've set down here, for us. Some of the other posts I've read, on websites, forums, etc., have been helpful, but very discouraging, being mostly full of no's, don't's and wrong's. These on the other hand, have been very encouraging for those of us just starting out, and looking for a little bit of direction. Thank you for your consideration,

Anni

AnniCanClick, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  19. AmaNicole

AmaNicole Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm a creative writer just starting to look into writing online for some extra cash; I write for my own niche blogs, and I found all of these tips--and the comments--very helpful. Many thanks from the newbie!

AmaNicole, Oct 6, 2007 IP
  20. maplay

maplay Peon

Best Answers:
    It's a lot of good tips for newbie like me.

Thanks you for sharing. :D

maplay, Oct 6, 2007 IP