1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

8 Months, 3 Submissions, No listing?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by ATLien, Nov 29, 2004.

Ok, I have submitted my site to DOMZ 3 times in the last 8 months. They are not listing though, does anyone have any advice to help me get listed?

ATLien, Nov 29, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Apply to be an editor of the category.

digitalpoint, Nov 29, 2004 IP
  3. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    Every time you resubmit you go to bottom of que. Do not resubmit.

Shannon

Smyrl, Nov 29, 2004 IP
  4. larysmith711

larysmith711 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Submit and forget!

The problem with dmoz is that many of the categories get editors to sign up, add a few sites, get there site in and then become inactive.

So submit and forget. Move on to other directories there are plenty of free and inexpensive ones out there.

larysmith711, Nov 29, 2004 IP
  5. longcall911

longcall911 Peon

Best Answers:
    As the others have said, do not resubmit. You can check on the status of your submission *30 days* after your last submit. Go to the resource zone, be sure to read the sticky (they get upset if you don't follow the rules) and check back every 6 months.

Basically, they don't look at submissions because they are filled with spam. If your site is *content rich and unique* an editor will eventually find it and list it.

resource zone: http://www.resource-zone.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40

/*tom*/

longcall911, Nov 29, 2004 IP
  6. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    In some categories there is a lot of pure spam, that is total junk, but that's not most of the problem. My experience is that some categories are filled with time wasting submissions - that is sites not in English submitted to English categories - sites submitted to the wrong category, multiple submissions of individual pages, and repeat submissions of mirror sites, when a site is already listed, submission to a sub-category when the site is listed in a parent category.

I spend at least half my time dealing with this junk. Either deleting duplicates or moving to the right category. I'm lucky to spend 20% of my time actaully reviewing sites.

So sometimes it's more rewarding to go searching for sites. It is possible that some editors ignore the submission heap - but I don't think that is generally true.

As far as repeat submissions, the guidelines tell you not to, but I see it happening, in one category I have that typically has about 30-50 unreviewed, [and which I tend to work through in date order] I go through in bursts of activity catching up. I see one person who keeps submitting, and if he had not, he would be reviewed by now. But he does, and keeps ending up at the bottom - at this rate he may never get his site reviewed.

Since for the most part the system deletes duplicates without notification - editors will not know about it, unless they happen to notice a particuar site that keeps changing it's submission date.

macdesign, Nov 30, 2004 IP
  7. ATLien

ATLien Peon

Best Answers:
    Wahoo, I contacted a editor, and made friends with him, then he accepted my site to 2 categories. So now I am listed in DMOZ. Does this mean that other sites will start displaying my links?

ATLien, Nov 30, 2004 IP
  8. payoutwindow

payoutwindow Peon

Best Answers:
    Thats great for you.

As for other sites displaying your links ... it depends on their update schedule .. if they have any.

payoutwindow, Nov 30, 2004 IP
  9. ResearchTechs

ResearchTechs Peon

Best Answers:
    How do you contact an editor for the DMOZ directory?

ResearchTechs, Dec 4, 2004 IP
  10. ATLien

ATLien Peon

Best Answers:
    well I searched different categories untill I found a editor that had AIM.

ATLien, Dec 4, 2004 IP
  11. ResearchTechs

ResearchTechs Peon

Best Answers:
    Heh, about 30 minutes after I posted, I check DMOZ and someone had added my site to the Computer > Education category, not sure if it was someone from these forums, but if it was thanks very much.

ResearchTechs, Dec 4, 2004 IP
  12. Lucky Bastard

Lucky Bastard Peon

Best Answers:
    My site (see sig) was submitted to DMOZ 3+ months ago now (http://www.dmoz.org/Shopping/Gifts/Gift_Baskets/F/), and still nothing. I posted a month ago in the resource zone for an update and they say it is still in the queue. Now I have to wait another 5 months for an update request. :(

Lucky Bastard, Dec 7, 2004 IP
  13. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    To a great extent - the speed of getting listed will depend on the categories. some categories attract both more listings and more spam than others. This especially applies to Shopping, it requires both a lot of experience, and a lot of patience to deal with that area. I only do a bit of Shopping editing, and my experience has not been postive. Having removed several sites in the same category that turned out to be the same person running under different names, pretending to be in different cities, I had to deal with some email from that person, denying that some of the sites belonged to her. Unfortunately the fact that I happened to live in the same city, made it very easy to invalidate her claims. This seems quite normal, in Shopping, there is such a desire to be listed in ODP, the site owners "forget" which sites they own.

I've never dealt with Gift Baskets, but I've seen some posts in Resource Zone, and done some detective work on this type of site. It seems to be filled with companies whose only purpose is to drive traffic to a large company the drop ships all the orders. In once case I found a company that claimed to be in Europe [and was trying to get a Regional listing] , but was running out of a house five minutes from my house [You never know where the reviewing editor may live :p ] and sending order to a company in Europe.

I give this long winded answer to caution you that listings in that category will get looked over very carefully because of the number of sites submitted, and the problems associated with them, and that may cause delays in reviews.

(In your case, you are still in the running, but multiple submissions may have pushed you to the end of the line, should an editor review in date order)

macdesign, Dec 7, 2004 IP
  14. Lucky Bastard

Lucky Bastard Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks MacDesign for the detailed reply!

MUCH APPRECIATED!

Lucky Bastard, Dec 8, 2004 IP