1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

7 years trying to get listed in Dmoz i give up

Discussion in 'All Other Search Engines' started by computergeeks, Feb 20, 2008.

1. plb

plb Guest

Best Answers:
    I think it mainly depends on the category and how active/anal the category editor is. I even went as far as becoming a category editor at one stage to get my site listed, how sad is that.

plb, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  2. computergeeks

computergeeks Active Member

Best Answers:
    hi thanks for all the help! you guys have been great..
    i will just pass on the dmoz and keep working on the sites!~
    i just love this forum!

computergeeks, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  3. loki

loki Peon

Best Answers:
    :)

a great part of the problem is editors will get a kick in the arse from meta editors if the submissions aren't processed correctly. am i making this up? no, it's happened to me.

now if you're an editor, you have a queue of websites waiting processing, and a bunch of them are clearly outside the guidelines, how motivated do you have to be to re-do a siteowner's sloppy work?

loki, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  4. seo4china

seo4china Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Many people do just great without DMOZ, just submit and forget about it. They include you? Great! They don't? Who cares?

seo4china, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  5. Karc2007

Karc2007 Peon

Best Answers:
    Its the same in the german section of Dmoz. One site, I submitted 3-4 years ago. Since then.. nothing.
    Another a half year ago. I built up a lot of unique content for that one. Nearly all other sites in the category didn´t make up any new content the last year. I add content every 1-2 week and really big content like articles with about 20-pages of pure text. No reaction. I followed the guidelines, someone in a dmoz-forum told me, that my listing would be ok, but it would still be waiting for an editor to take a look at it.

For the main keyword im in the first 10 results in google germany, so if the editor looks after that, he should have stumbled upon my website, but I guess the editors are just doing nothing anymore in most categories. So what is dmoz for ?

A directory of many dead sites or at least site, on which no one puts new content. But, ask yourself, when did you use dmoz the last time for research of a topic?

Karc2007, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  6. bomberman

bomberman Peon

Best Answers:
    It's time to give up. There are so many good directories out there that can compete DMOZ.

bomberman, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  7. carlg

carlg Peon

Best Answers:
    there are tons of dmoz corruption articles all over the web.
    Just google for them.

Your competitor may be the editor of the category you are trying to get into.
    That may be why you can't get in.

carlg, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  8. scipilot

scipilot Peon

Best Answers:
    Dont be so impatient :D

scipilot, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  9. Da Nag

Da Nag Peon

Best Answers:
    It really does seem to be a crap shoot...and I'm guessing, nothing can be done to increase one's odds. It seems to be completely dependent on who reviews the submission.

I too, submitted over three years ago, then followed up again 6 months ago. Followed the rules exactly - accurate and succinct description, and there were only a couple sites in the category I submitted to. The site in question runs no ads, has an incredibly active and dedicated community targeted at a specific area, and comes up in any remotely related Google search within the top 2 spots - usually, #1.

Nuttin'. I've given up.

Da Nag, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  10. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    try to resubmit....they've lost a database of old registrations a few years ago, so your entry hasnt existed for the past few years.

Pixelrage, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  11. nastynappy

nastynappy Banned

Best Answers:
    lol , you tried for 7 years.. MY GOD .. thats too much waste of time..
    i tried only once... they rejected my site, then i didnt gave a damn to their directory.
    just use any other PR7 directory or submit to 4 PR4 directories, that will balance PR7 ..
    you can also give some money to DMOZ editor, saying here is your tip to review my site.. then they will accept your site :p (read it somewhere that they do take money for accepting...)

nastynappy, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  12. Da Nag

Da Nag Peon

Best Answers:
    A convenient excuse on their part, but I ain't buying it. They'd have to be losing the database every 6 months, to account for the number of ignored submissions reported.

Da Nag, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  13. Da Nag

Da Nag Peon

Best Answers:
    I can't believe that's a routine occurrence...and if any editor accepts such a bribe, they should be reported via the abuse form ( http://report-abuse.dmoz.org ).

Da Nag, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  14. zexy

zexy Guest

Best Answers:
    You're doing good without them why you should bother?
    Is it really that important to get listed in DMOZ nowadays?

zexy, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  15. carlg

carlg Peon

Best Answers:
    There's a blog out there somewhere on the web that I read (I can't remember where).

It's from an old dmoz editor who talked about all of the corruption.

His business idea was to get a low competition category, get approved to be an editor and then approve all his own sites.

Wish I could find it.

carlg, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  16. newtothegame

newtothegame Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow that's persistence

newtothegame, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  17. jamil0458

jamil0458 Peon

Best Answers:
    ha ha .. you need to find one of the ditor's 'seo' help sites and 'pay' them for their 'seo help' and then you get listed quickly.

seoguy.com used to be dmoz editor, don't know if he still is. years ago I use him and get listed ;)

jamil0458, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  18. fesei

fesei Peon

Best Answers:
    Just submit your link to DMOZ and then forget about it... resubmit it after 3-4 months if no results and so on. Yes, it is a great thing to be listed in dmoz, even though it's not such a big achievement. You all talk about the corruption, but you don't know that those lazy editors that barely have 200 edits are webmasters, just like you, and their only purpose is to keep their site listed in DMOZ. Those are the corrupt editors, those are the ones to blame. Many of the ODP editors are honest people and make a great work (for free! they're all volunteers!); they don't deserve this mess.

fesei, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  19. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Try to buy a domain that already is in dmoz

bogart, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  20. nastynappy

nastynappy Banned

Best Answers:
    i know it should be reported, but they do take bribe , search on google about it, you'll find many results..
    i myself heard it by someone on dp, i cant remember who it was, but i can remember that it was a suggestion gave to a guy who was having same problem as you..

nastynappy, Feb 22, 2008 IP