1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

500 internal server error after update

Discussion in 'Apache' started by GGaryG, Jan 17, 2015.

I've been running my website for years and now yesterday I update 2 files, the same way I always do, and when I try to load them in a browser I get:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

The log says this:

[my ip] - - [17/Jan/2015:00:07:55 -0500] "GET /site/index.php HTTP/1.1" 404 - "-" [my agent string]

Permissions are 644, same as for the other files. I haven't encountered anything like this before and am totally stumped. Can anyone help?

GGaryG, Jan 17, 2015 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    If you updated your files before this happened, my first suggestion would be to roll back to earlier versions, and retest the changes before implementing. Usually an internal server error is returned if there is a logical error in the file, or if there's a problem with the server itself. An example on a 500-error would be using PHP 5.5++ syntax (which won't work on earlier versions).
    Since you don't post any code, we have no way to tell if there's a problem with the code, or the server.

PoPSiCLe, Jan 17, 2015 IP