1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

5 SEO Tips from Matt Cutts

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Geeurbie, Jul 4, 2008.

1. trustfm

trustfm Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the tips. Specially the 5th one is the way to go ;)
    Have a nice day !

trustfm, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  2. lakelandprinting

lakelandprinting Peon

Best Answers:
    If there is anyone in this forum that didn't know these 5 basic things I suggest you re-think a management career at McDonalds.

lakelandprinting, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  3. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    damage control, that's all that it is. And it works. Well somewhat. The Google owners seem to be chilling now, haven't heard anything from them for quite some time. Would be interesting to see their stands on the current status of Google,.

Blogmaster, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  4. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    ROFL Repped!

sweetfunny, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  5. mtime88

mtime88 Peon

Best Answers:
    Common knowledge but thanks :)

mtime88, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  6. KingPin08

KingPin08 Banned

Best Answers:
    I guess I should point out that I am not launching a personal attack on Matt, I'm just merely pointing things out.

Matt is just a messenger for Google, nothing more nothing less. I feel sorry for him if anything. As a software engineer I have respect for him. As anything to do with SEO, I don't.

I see so many threads saying "you should stay within Google's guidelines" and "If you don't believe me read Matt Cutts blog" etc etc.

Bullshit is what I say. They are guidelines. Nothing more, nothing less.

As mentioned previously, he will never give you the information to actually rank, just a bunch of diversionary tactics.

Google - We don't want people to buy links because we have not yet built a spider that can detect brought links. I know, lets tell Matt buying links is now bad.

Matt - *gets phone call* "Hi Matt, this is your boss Mr G, could you please tell everyone link buying is bad?" Matt "Sure thing boss"

Google - Good, now we have told Matt that we can now get on with building a spider that detects brought links while Matt holds everyone off. Mrs G. In the mean time dear we can carry on banning people from AdSense for fun and screw people on AdWords.

:D

Of course he has a little hardcore army of everyone hanging on every word he says.

Fools.

KP

KingPin08, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  7. t2000q

t2000q Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    pretty breif article , no room to elaborate ..??

t2000q, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  8. Rblakney

Rblakney Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the link.

Rblakney, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  9. Geeurbie

Geeurbie Peon

Best Answers:
    I could have not said it better myself!

Geeurbie, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  10. thor22

thor22 Peon

Best Answers:
    so lets hear some good SEO tips kingpin

thor22, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  11. glenndorsey

glenndorsey Guest

Best Answers:
    Wow man. You rock!! +1

:)

glenndorsey, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  12. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    You sure about that? I mean every reply on his blog seems the same.
    "Great post, Matt. How is your cat?"

I dunno, but if they actually read his posts, they must be the shy type or something.

13. SEO-Expert

SEO-Expert Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    SEO-Expert, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  14. Bryce

Bryce Peon

Best Answers:
    Darn, I got fired from McDonalds on my first day of work back when I was in high school. What am I going to do now ???

Do you think I could get a job at Google ???

Bryce, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  15. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    sure. Start right now bashing people who buy links and send a link to this thread as your resume. That should work. :cool:

16. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    from the tutorial

SEO Tip Blackhat Warning - I’ve not seen a page/site that uses nofollow excessively receive a penalty, but even so it’s something to take into account. It’s not a clean white SEO tip, it’s a little grey.

I agree it;'s grey, yet Matt himself advises to use nofollow in abundance.

17. SEO-Expert

Best Answers:
    Using nofollow a lot on it's own is highly unlikely to cause a problem (all my affiliate links are nofollow for example), but if a webmaster is hitting the grey ground on a lot of areas it doesn't look good.

Sort of stuff that's grey like-

-All external links that are added by the webmaster nofollow to conserve PR, not to say those sites the page is linking to are low quality/not trusted (added as comment links for example are not trusted links).

-Not exactly keyword spamming or keyword stuffing, but not completely natural keyword usage either (a bit spammy).

-Lots of incoming links using the same anchor text and possibly owned by the webmaster (added a few too many links from your own sites).

-Affiliate content mixed in with unique content (trying to avoid a thin affiliate penalty while using an affiliates content).

-Copied articles mixed in with unique content (trying to avoid duplicate content problems while using duplicate content).

On it's own none of these are likely to get a whole site automatically penalised, but from a manual review it comes across as a low quality site seeing all these grayish factors. I would put using nofollow to conserve PR on the relatively safe SEO techniques list but like with all grey SEO techniques don't go too far.

Get a manual reviewer in a bad mood come across a site with a lot of grey SEO techniques and you might get a penalty that on another day/manual reviewer you wouldn't :(

David Law

18. Geeurbie

Geeurbie Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess I don't see the grey in doing what Google wants. I wish I knew more about this penalty.

Geeurbie, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  19. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    Nofollow isn't a problem, you can add the attribute to a million links (either internal or external) if you want. However trying to sculpt Pagerank when you have no idea how to how to effectively implement it can cause big problems.

sweetfunny, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  20. SEO-Expert

Best Answers:
    Please read the exact text in combination with-

"SEO Tip Usage - You can link to relevant external sites and add the nofollow to the link and gain on page SEO benefit from the anchor text used without wasting link benefit/PR to the site your linking to."

This is not using nofollow for what it was created for and so I added a warning-

"I’ve not seen a page/site that uses nofollow excessively receive a penalty"

I don't think I can make it any clearer that I've not seen using nofollow result in a penalty.

"but even so it’s something to take into account. It’s not a clean white SEO tip, it’s a little grey."

Again I think this is clear, this is a cautionary warning, you can use nofollow for non white hat SEO reasons (protecting PR) and so there's the potential of it being seen in a negative light.

Will that in itself result in a penalty? I very much doubt it, but combine it with other grey SEO techniques and you never know (see my last post).

Better safe than sorry if a site is important, for example I personally wouldn't add 20-30 external links from a single page to quality/relevant sites and then nofollow them to conserve PR while gaining from the anchor text. It's way too obvious why someone would do this and knowing how Google works I could see this coming to bite us in the ass in the future.

David Law