1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

5 Must Have Tools for Serious Web Designers

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Las Vegas DUI Lawyer, Aug 30, 2011.

5 Must Have Tools for Serious Web Designers

Color Picker is for a serious web "designer". Color is very important. If you get heavily into actually designing, you'll quickly realize that people study color and its effect on people's emotions. As such, as a designer you will want a robust tool like color picker that is going to allow you to pick, analyze and formulate color on the fly at all times, while browsing. If you don't have a color tool, you're not a designer.

Webdeveloper extension toolbar is a godsend. You can literally write your website and see it render real time, right in the browser. How much time does this save? A lot. If you're a professional designer, saving time is the difference from starving and making big bucks. It is the fast designer that can charge $2,500 for 10 pages and take on 60 projects a month. Yes, I know people that do this. I'm not one, because i'm friggin anal retentive and I lose track of ... OOOH SHINY. There is an internet explorer version too. :)

Browser Shots. A HUGE TIME SAVER. Yeah, seriously, right click > open with > choose > i.e. > version ###. Yeah, that gets darn tiresome and time consuming. This will change your life.

http://www.picnik.com/ is a website you can literally take pics and edit them right in the browser and deliver them to where ever you want. It is integrated with all the major photo hosting sites - flikr, photobucket, picasa, facebook, so you can literally just attach and start working. There is a premium membership that allows you even more tools. I've made whole websites with the pics i edited with picnik.

Notepad ++ this baby has come a long way. It seriously makes coding: fun; easy; readily see mistakes; readily see contextual errors [sigh, if i had a nickel]. I literally sat in Dreamweaver for hours, looking for a "mistake". It was a missing semicolon. Yes, in Dreamweaver. And it wasn't the first time. Notepad ++ has upgraded so much that it is now the go to tool. I have it open right now as I'm typing.

Las Vegas DUI Lawyer, Aug 30, 2011 IP
  2. Zipdaddy

Zipdaddy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, thanks for posting this! Prior to you mentioning Browser Shots I was installing the major browsers, and checking individually by right clicking, etc. This IS a real time saver :)

Zipdaddy, Sep 19, 2011 IP
  3. DanielJames

DanielJames Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks for sharing such tools and know designers who are professional in their work use such tools.

DanielJames, Sep 20, 2011 IP
  4. itechyou

itechyou Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The color picker addon really helps a lot. Also the web developer extension toolbar, I use Firebug also, For coding I use Dreamweaver.

itechyou, Sep 20, 2011 IP
  5. jarofed

jarofed Peon

Best Answers:
    Great list, thank you. By the way, I use Notepad++ for a really long time. :)

jarofed, Sep 20, 2011 IP
  6. akumar2

akumar2 Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks good info................

akumar2, Sep 20, 2011 IP
  7. wedoev

wedoev Peon

Best Answers:
    Firebug for firefox is also more importent :)

wedoev, Sep 20, 2011 IP
  8. Bass Turd

Bass Turd Active Member

Best Answers:
    I use the web developer tool bar all the time. It's a must when I am working on the style or layout of any of my sites. So much easier than changing resolution back and forth.

Bass Turd, Sep 20, 2011 IP
  9. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    I've had a highly successful web dev business for eight years now and we don't use ANY of those but for color picker, CAN'T use two of those because they're Windows only (and we don't use Windows) and WON'T use one of them which goes to show how little the OP knows about web dev. NONE of those tools are "must have" though a couple are handy to have.

drhowarddrfine, Sep 20, 2011 IP
  10. eyeshield21

eyeshield21 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for sharing! Notepad++ is really useful~ especially when u are tired to look at the screen which full of codes

eyeshield21, Sep 20, 2011 IP
  11. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Needs pretty pictures---^. Doesn't like to code. Shouldn't be coding.

drhowarddrfine, Sep 21, 2011 IP
  12. workingsmart

workingsmart Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Amen to that... All systems here in my office are Linux variation based and for Dev we use htmlkit for color separation on language type. ( not a necessity but "handy" for the color factor and line counting )

:)

workingsmart, Sep 21, 2011 IP
  13. moneycorner

moneycorner Member

Best Answers:
    I use all the tools you are saying, but I don't know about picnics, thank you for the information

moneycorner, Sep 22, 2011 IP
  14. pj hardon

pj hardon Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for colorzilla. I also use np++ for coding, Firebug for in browser debug and filezilla for ftp.

pj hardon, Sep 22, 2011 IP
  15. jhardy2008

jhardy2008 Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks.....

jhardy2008, Sep 22, 2011 IP
  16. herry1

herry1 Guest

Best Answers:
    Very nice and useful sharing for web designers.Color scheme also important for web designers.I have all tools which name you share.
    Thanks for sharing.

herry1, Sep 23, 2011 IP
  17. Wpisolutions

Wpisolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    I also find that ySlow (developer.yahoo.com/yslow/) is really helpful at finding those annoying bottlenecks. there a browser extension for FF and chrome

Wpisolutions, Sep 23, 2011 IP
  18. kartarsingh015

kartarsingh015 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    i would like to add adobe dreamweaver to that list of must have tools for serious web designing

kartarsingh015, Sep 24, 2011 IP
  19. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    We were given a copy many years ago. We don't use it. Some people say they like to use it in "code view" only but I don't know anyone who does. It is not at all necessary and we consider it a waste of good money.

drhowarddrfine, Sep 24, 2011 IP
  20. Wpisolutions

Wpisolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    Agreed, dreamweaver does nothing that other (usually free) programs can not do and is essentially the nike of web design software. you pay for the Adobe logo and that is all.

Wpisolutions, Sep 24, 2011 IP