1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

5 common AdWords mistakes

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by rosesmark, Apr 13, 2011.

1. jezzz

jezzz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It also seems a bit tricky! i heard that setting up a high limit can benefit you to achieve better position and price

jezzz, Apr 20, 2011 IP
  2. Parker Hodges

Parker Hodges Peon

Best Answers:
    What great information and thanks for sharing. What a great forum!

Lucid you hit on another nagging question for me ... the singular/plural difference. If I include -- plumber -- as a broad match do I need to include -- plumbers -- too?

Parker Hodges, Apr 20, 2011 IP
  3. Eschatonic

Eschatonic Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe you do, or at least doing so will only increase your relevancy.

I prefer it this way, to be honest. It's much better than, for example, Yahoo's Standard match type which includes misspellings and plurals by default, meaning that you can't actually not match to them (their strictest negative uses the same rules as standard match).

Eschatonic, Apr 20, 2011 IP
  4. buy.adwords

buy.adwords Peon

Best Answers:
    So true. The use of broad match keywords is quite fatal to your adwords campaign. Been there, done that. :(

buy.adwords, Apr 20, 2011 IP
  5. Lucid Web Marketing

Lucid Web Marketing Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No you don't. That's what broad match does for you, the expansion of words I talked about. But, as a matter of course, I would include both just to know how many use each version, although because of the expansion, I don't know how accurate that would be, another reason to use the phrase match. It should not affect your relevancy by the way.

Lucid Web Marketing, Apr 20, 2011 IP
  6. digitalfirstaid

digitalfirstaid Peon

Best Answers:
    Good post, once spoke to a guy who sold furniture and decided to do it by himself. He set tables as a keyword, £1000 in a day and nada for it. Opps!

digitalfirstaid, Apr 22, 2011 IP
  7. jiexi

jiexi Member

Best Answers:
    Agree with #1, its basically not using google adwords for its main intent, targeting niche audiences.

jiexi, Apr 22, 2011 IP
  8. greytipsoftware

greytipsoftware Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually I had to revert the keywords which were given as exact matches to broad match types as I found that the traffic and clicks decreased considerably. I dont know if it is exact reason, but there was remarkly low clicks after I changed to exact match. Hence I had to revert back. Hope to study the trend for some more days in order to decide. Also our conversion and cost is based on CPA (Cost per acquisition).

greytipsoftware, Apr 27, 2011 IP
  9. Eschatonic

Eschatonic Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you sure about this? It seems intuitively that it should. Just interested to see the reasoning.

Eschatonic, May 3, 2011 IP
  10. Lucid Web Marketing

Best Answers:
    The question was, should I use plumbers as well as plumber in the broad match. We assume the landing page is selling his services as a plumber. Therefore, there is, or should be relevancy. The system should figure out, given enough information on the page (enough text content) that it's about a plumber/s. The singular/plural doesn't matter, the system is smarter than that. Same thing if he used the phrase or exact matches.

If his landing page was about his electrician services and was using plumbing keywords, there would be no relevancy. That's what relevancy means. Keyword dog is equivalent to dogs, canine, doggy, pooch and puppy that may be found on a landing page. Keyword dog is not equal to cat, kitten, feline just as keyword apple is not equal to orange. The system does lateral relevancy (dog=dogs=canine) very well but not class relevancy. Apples and oranges may be fruits but if you use apple juice as keywords to an orange juice page, there is no relevancy.

Lucid Web Marketing, May 3, 2011 IP
  11. Eschatonic

Eschatonic Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure it's obvious that the system would give plumber and plumbers equal weight, though. I can see them being similar for relevancy purposes, but if there is any distinction between the two surely it would be strictly better to have both?

The reason that I would have guessed that there's at least some distinction is because there is distinction in matchtypes for keywords - for example, we know that Yahoo's Standard matchtype matches to misspells, plurals, and so forth, whilst Google's Exact matchtype does not. Plus, I would have guessed that the system would be smart enough to serve up a result for "plumber" in front of a result for "plumbers" if the user searched for "plumber", as there could quite easily be a difference (even if negligible) in intent there.

It's certainly an interesting question, anyway. Trying to peer inside the black box is always hard.

Eschatonic, May 3, 2011 IP
  12. Adele Brooks

Adele Brooks Peon

Best Answers:
    10 worst adwords compaign mistakes inclued:

1. creating a long list of less than targeted keywords

2. failing to identify unique aspects of your product or service

3. a lack of keywords in your ad text

4. directing users solely to your home page

5. creating single ad groups

6. utilizing single campaigns

7. using broad match only

8. failing to optimize ad serving for your ads

9. failing to track results

10. entering the content network without modifying bids

Adele Brooks, May 23, 2011 IP
  13. smsinhindi

smsinhindi Peon

Best Answers:
    I read each post from starting and I will have to say that I learn a lots about Adword. Now a day I am improving my knowledge on it and this thread really help a lot, specially the contribution from -Lucid Web Marketing and Eschatonic
    Thank you guys for valuable inputs.

smsinhindi, May 24, 2011 IP
  14. PPC-Coach

PPC-Coach Active Member

Best Answers:
    The key is to learn from your mistakes so you don't end up paying for them again and again.

:)

PPC-Coach, May 24, 2011 IP
  15. greytipsoftware

greytipsoftware Peon

Best Answers:
    I observed the changes after reverting back to broad match and also I set the landing page to the home page which was the one they had before. But could not observe any appreciable change. Actually there was some problem in the managed listings network and we did not get good number of impressions also. Only 2 days back we changed a few ads and added some keywords. There has been an improvement in number of clicks and impressions now. Will keep you posted.

greytipsoftware, May 25, 2011 IP
  16. Lucid Web Marketing

Best Answers:
    You're welcome. Just trying to stamp out PPC ignorance. It's just taking longer than I expected.

> 1. creating a long list of less than targeted keywords

Yep, seen this more often than I care to count.

> 4. directing users solely to your home page

This happens sometimes too. I've seen bidding on a very generic keyword. For example, if I search for "nokia model123 phone battery", there's always some who bid only on battery and land you on their home page. They expect you to search again on their site. Of course, more often than not, they don't sell the type of battery I just asked for. What a waste of money.

> 9. failing to track results

PPC is not a set it up and forget it activity. It should be on-going. To improve, you must track results or you don't know if you are successful or not.

> 10. entering the content network without modifying bids

Content network campaigns should be separate from search campaigns, bids being just one small reason.

Lucid Web Marketing, May 25, 2011 IP
  17. TheMissingLink007

TheMissingLink007 Peon

Best Answers:
    nice piece of advice i would more likely go with facebook ads for my forum least till my site makes tons of money and then even stick with facebook.

TheMissingLink007, May 25, 2011 IP
  18. kyleschen

kyleschen Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for all the great info - i would have stumbled on pretty much every one of those. im marketing dietary supplements. any specific advice? thanks!

kyleschen, May 26, 2011 IP
  19. bilgi

bilgi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    some people dont add region for their ads

bilgi, May 26, 2011 IP
  20. ALX-VALLEJO

ALX-VALLEJO Peon

Best Answers:
    Can you give me an example of why you refuse to use broad match keywords? In my case, we operate a local service business (marital counseling) and with geo-targeting, I know I'm only hitting my target markets (Washington DC area). My broad match keywords perform just as well, if not better, than some more specific queries.

I check the keyword reports and although they are very specific, none I would move over to the negative list.

Just curious.

ALX-VALLEJO, May 27, 2011 IP