1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

5,170 backlinks and STILL a PR5? could PR bleed be more real than we want to believe?

Discussion in 'Websites' started by disgust, Aug 9, 2004.

I've got 5,170 backlinks coming into my site, ffshrine.org. we've been a PR5 since we had 300 or so links.

even after all these new incoming links, we're still not even a PR6. unless there's something blatant that I'm missing, the only POSSIBLE thing I can think of would be PR bleed- I hate to say it as much as you hate to read it, but let me explain.

we've two kinds of link swaps; a one page link swap, and a ROS/"your link is on every page on our site" link.

could this sort of massive outlink structure have an impact on my PR- and even my serps? we've got over 1,000 content pages, and on each one, there are (at least) those 15 outgoing links, on every page.

could this be what's holding me back?

not only is my PR less that what would be expected, but the serps don't even seem right...

the #1 site (for a basic search for "Final Fantasy") has 13 links. they also rank #1 for allinanchor..

disgust, Aug 9, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well... the biggest issue of course is that PR hasn't updated in 6 weeks now. www.digitalpoint.com has been PR7 since I first knew what PR was about a year ago (with about 100 natural links). I keep thinking one of these days it should roll over to PR8, but not yet. This is what my back links to the root of the domain have looked like:

[size=-2]Aug 9, 2004: 5,540
    Aug 8, 2004: 3,800
    Jul 16, 2004: 1,920
    Jun 22, 2004: 949
    May 31, 2004: 1,410
    Apr 27, 2004: 979
    Apr 6, 2004: 294
    Mar 15, 2004: 258
    Feb 10, 2004: 339
    Jan 24, 2004: 231
    Jan 10, 2004: 156
    Dec 30, 2003: 151
    Dec 4, 2003: 179
    Nov 23, 2003: 185
    Oct 30, 2003: 129
    Sep 24, 2003: 137[/size]

Ranging from 129 to 5,540... the whole time being PR7. Sept of 2003 was when the keyword tracker started tracking it for me, BTW. There hasn't been a PR update the last two updates, so maybe I *should* be a PR8. Since I went from 1,920 to 5,540 in the last 6 weeks.

digitalpoint, Aug 9, 2004 IP
  3. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    yeah, I know I do have to wait for a PR update and maybe I'll get lucky...

but still, wouldn't you expect well over 5,000 backlinks to EASILY beat someone with 13 visible ones in the serps for allinanchor? it just seems really wrong to me.

disgust, Aug 9, 2004 IP
  4. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    All else being equal, yeah... I would think so. But the links are weighted. I had a PR7 with 100 links due to natural linking (I had no clue what a back link or PR was). Those links were pretty valuable as far as Google was concerned because they were on high PR pages, with very few (if any) other links.

I think that's the key... I would guess at least half the "links" I have to www.digitalpoint.com, are from this forum. Most of the PR value comes from that same page. So when you think about it... 3,000 or so links all getting their PageRank from a single link ON that page. Of course Google can't weight them any other way because then people could make a circular linking system to boost their PageRank to infinity. Generally forum links and anything else with a zillion other links on each page aren't individually very valuable.

5. Nitin M

Nitin M White/Gray/Black Hat

Best Answers:
    If I were to venture a guess I would say the problem is in the number of different domains from which you are getting your 5k backlinks. I have had many sites where it seemed I was way ahead in terms of backlinks but I could not win in SERPs.... when I went on a massive backlink campaign and made dramatic increases in the number of sites linking to me, the SERPs finally moved.

I think I had sent you a PM regarding helping me test one of my new text link management tools. The key is that (IMHO) it makes no sense for you to offer an ROS text link on your site. It is a complete waste. Once a site has 100 links from you, I believe link #101 is pretty worthless.

My tool will let you set up a list of links for each spot (as many or as a few as you wan for each positon) so you could easily get 15 * 100 = 150 link partners instead of the 15 you currently have. "Easily" in terms of maximizing your inventory I mean ... finding 150 link partners is never that easy.

But, you could also have 3 spots and roll your 15 link partners into those 3 spots giving them ~2,500 links each which again, is just as good as the current ROS they are getting. It will bleed off less PR as well, which may help improve your homepage SERP - not sure on that though.

Anyway, I am still looking for large php based sites to help work me test the ad server ... it will probably be public by the end of the week but if you want to give it a shot earlier, let me know.

Nitin M, Aug 9, 2004 IP
  6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Exactly... which is why the ad network was born. :)

7. Nitin M

Nitin M White/Gray/Black Hat

Best Answers:
    The Coop Ad Network is beautiful. If you have at least 100 pages of content, you should be in it.

If you don't have 100 pages of content, focus on getting that first, then join.

If you have 1000+ plus pages of content, drop everything you are working on and get into the ad network ... it really has that much potential.

I am not building a replacement or competitor for that tool. I am building a separate tool that can work side by side with the coop ad network without any issues and gives you control over your inventory when trading or selling text links.

Nitin M, Aug 10, 2004 IP
  8. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Is the ad network supported on more than just blogs now?

Help Desk, Aug 10, 2004 IP
  9. PR Weaver

PR Weaver Peon

Best Answers:
    6190 backlinks and still PR0 :-(
    I hope Google will update the PageRank soon!

PR Weaver, Aug 10, 2004 IP
  10. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yep... currently supports (with instructions):

vBulletin 3.x
    phpBB 2.x
    Movable Type 2.x/3.x blogs
    Blogger (FTP/SFTP published)
    Or any site that supports PHP

When I get around to setting up a test environment for it, I'll add vBulletin 2.x

digitalpoint, Aug 10, 2004 IP
  11. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    Let me know if and when you add support for ASP. :)

mopacfan, Aug 10, 2004 IP
  12. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The backend is language independent, so someone would have to post the PHP that goes on the web sites. Wouldn't be terribly difficult to do, but I hate ASP, so it' not going to be me... :)

13. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    I am convinced (though I do not have proof) that Google has implemented heavy dampening on multiple links from one site to another. Or, possibly from one site to one page.

I'm calling it the "one site; one vote" rule.

Will.Spencer, Aug 10, 2004 IP
  14. Percept

Percept Peon

Best Answers:

What are you saying, that we need more SEO forums ? ;)

Percept, Aug 10, 2004 IP
  15. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    It's funny you should mention that, because other testing I am conducting strongly suggests that Google is completely ignoring links from web forums.

16. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Wouldn't the fact that this forum shows up as back links to one of the sites (I didn't check the others) in your signature disprove that theory though?

http://www.google.com/search?q=link:www.sansecurity.com

17. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Actually, no. :)

The backlinks displayed and the backlinks counted for relevance and PR have no reason to be the same. I believe we have many examples where they are not the same.

I tested by posting unique anchor text in eight forums, both in message bodies and signatures. Either forums are being 100% discounted, or Matt Cutts was not completely honest when he said there was no sandbox, or I've missed something, again. :D

18. PR Weaver

PR Weaver Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Will Spencer!
    That's very interesting! Could you give us a few examples? One link reported as a backlink by the link: command and not counted for relevance, or the contrary?

Thank you very much.

PR Weaver, Aug 11, 2004 IP
  19. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    The most clear example is the contrary case. Most links are counted by Google for PR and relevance, right?

It follows logcally that most links should be reported by the link: command, No?

I think we have all seen that the Google link: command only shows about 20% of our inbound links. Compare it to the current implementations of the link: commands on AllTheWeb and AltaVista.

On the forward side, it gets a lot more tricky. For example, it is difficult to prove that Google is discarding multiple links from one site to one page, but no other theory explains the available data.

I'm running some tests now on forum message body links and forum signature links. You can see the in-progress results at the Search Engine Reverse Engineering Project

I've linked to otherwise-hidden pages using unique anchor text from 8 web forums. No keyword relevancy has been passed from any of the forums. The web forums are relevant for the unique anchor text -- but the linked to pages are not.

That seems pretty convincing. Brian is the only fellow to come up with any other reasonable explanation, which is the 120-day link sandbox.

But, of course, to your sub-point, the web forums don't show up on the link: command either. :D

Will.Spencer, Aug 11, 2004 IP
  20. l234244

l234244 Peon

Best Answers:
    How long have you had these links and how many are internal links or forum posts?

l234244, Aug 11, 2004 IP