1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

404 errors

Discussion in 'Apache' started by Leowald, Jun 15, 2016.

We just began to monitor 404 errors on our site and noticed that everyday we are getting a bunch (between 3-10) 404 errors being returned to users from pages that DO exist on the site. This means that a few people are getting a 404 error returned to them and most are not. Why would this be? Is this something that is normal to happen or does it mean there is something wrong with our server.

Thanks

Leo

Leowald, Jun 15, 2016 IP
  2. 24x7servermanagement

24x7servermanagement Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Is there any .htaccess file present with some rewrite codes ? Second thing to check will be Web server logs for the 404 errors.

24x7servermanagement, Jun 16, 2016 IP
  3. Leowald

Leowald Peon

Best Answers:
    The web server logs show the same thing - that only specific people are getting a 404 for those pages.
    We do have an .htaccess file but if that was a problem then why would some people get to the pages ok while others don't. I also should point out that the number that do get to the page are significantly higher than those that don't.

Thanks so much.

Leowald, Jun 16, 2016 IP
  4. 24x7servermanagement

Best Answers:
    To further pin point are those specific people able to browse other pages on your site ? Or even the main site.

5. Leowald

Leowald Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know. I have set up through analytics/google tag manager a tracking to see all those that get 404 errors and am seeing them through that. I see that some are coming from paid ads and then getting a 404 error. I can also see on analytics that others are getting to the page fine.

Thanks for your help.

Leowald, Jun 16, 2016 IP
  6. 24x7servermanagement

Best Answers:
    I will suggest you to first setup Custom 404 page so that the people don't see 404 errors. And take a look at this URL https://searchenginewatch.com/2016/02/11/fixing-404-error-pages-with-google-analytics/