1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

4 Years & counting ??

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by athema, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I assume that since you are still comparing collecting links to sites and stamp collecting that you are getting paid to list the sites? Or are all the stamps in your collection free?

Qryztufre, Jan 22, 2011 IP
  2. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    - Stamp collectors pay for their hobby by buying stamps and albums etc.

- ODP editors pay for their hobby by buying equipment and bandwidth.

In both cases, the effort expended is free.

So yes, your analogy is kinda OK (but your assumption is illogical). Not many stamp collectors make their collections available to the general public though.

jimnoble, Jan 22, 2011 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

WOW.... you mean, the ONLY reason that you have a computer is to collect sites? That is purely amazing... I would have assumed that you got your computer for other reasons, and only then decided to use it to be an editor, not the other way around. And buying bandwidth? Seriously... how much do ya spend on that for transferring text?

Qryztufre, Jan 22, 2011 IP
  4. interkiwiwebdevelopers

interkiwiwebdevelopers Active Member

Best Answers:
    It took me nearly 5 years to get any of my site's listed in DMOZ, let alone also being approved for an editor at the same time. I got both my website and editor application approved about 2 months ago... My website is not quite a year old which was why I was suprised (but very happy) my site got in. It took me 2 hours to submit my site and editor application, I read over every single one of their requirements etc (as boring as this was, it proved very worth it in the end) and submitted my site into the absolutely most appropriate category possible. I even checked over grammar issues 3 times before I pressed the submit button for both applications... It took a total of two weeks for both my website listing and editor applications to be approved, which I thought was lightning fast :).

My advice: follow their guidelines very carefully, read EVERY one of them and stick to them. In your listings don't use any superlatives in the description (words like awesome, the best, superb, excellent etc). Make sure you have NO spelling or grammar errors whatsoever. Make sure your website has unique content and isn't linked back to any "bad neighborhoods". Don't keep submitting your applications every week, the editors will just think you are spamming them and possibly put your site on a blacklist, I recommend trying again once every three months, or when your site has met ALL their requirements. I also experienced that by applying for an editor position at the same time it really helps your chances, as a passed "editor test" will show the main editors that you know what a quality submission is, and will most likely accept your site.

So keep trying, but make sure you fulfil all their requirements :).

[EDIT] If you want proof, the category I edit is: http://www.dmoz.org/Regional/Oceani...ters_and_Internet/Web_Design_and_Development/ ...

... And my website is the sixth one down on the list (InterKiwi Web Developers - www.interkiwiwebdevelopers.com)

interkiwiwebdevelopers, Jan 29, 2011 IP
  5. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Perhaps you should have read those guidelines a little more carefully especially where it says

http://www.dmoz.org/docs/en/add.html

You are new and will learn, but please be careful not to pass on bad information, we constantly have to tell people on here NOT to submit more than once.

Anonymously, Jan 30, 2011 IP
  6. jameswi

jameswi Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello,

I was looking at the category Shopping: Clothing : Children's and it looks like it has not been updated since 2009. Is there an editor of that category and if so, where would I find his/her email address?

Thanks,
    JW

jameswi, Feb 5, 2011 IP
  7. AdamFL

AdamFL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Is it it once no matter what the result is? If approved then you are listed, If missed then you are out of luck? Is there any time frame, where you can resubmit for a second reconsideration? Considering the speed of the wheel, I will not be surprised if it's in 10 years?

Wow, that's like stalking the editor of that category for approval. Why don't you just forget about it? One day you might get listed.

AdamFL, Feb 5, 2011 IP
  8. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Which editor is it that you want, if you look higher up the tree any editor higher up can edit in that category and there are over 200 editors who can edit anywhere on the directory. You make a mistake by believing that no editor name means no editor, an editor name merely tells you how far up the tree that edit is allowed to edit, they are not by any manner or means THE editor.

There is a bug that is not allowing categories to update and it looks as though most categories have not have any work done for years, don't believe the dates.

As to contacting an editor, what for? You have suggested your site, there is nothing more you can do to promote it. Contacting the editor to try and speed things up will not work at best and at worst certain sorts of approach might be construed as seeking to bribe the editor and that would carry a permanent ban. We are discouraged from replying to contacts about sites and the experience on Resource Zone has shown that doing status checks for sites was not a helpful way forward.

Please do NOT re-suggest any site, the guidelines you said you had read when you first submitted expressly say not to send a URL more than once. We don't loose it and it can take from a few days to several years for a review for a possible listing and if it has been rejected it would usually mean pretty much a complete new site before it would be acceptable.

MOTTO
    Suggest and then forget it.

Anonymously, Feb 5, 2011 IP
  9. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    It's not luck.

We don't decline listable websites. If their listing suggestions are to the wrong place or with crappy titles or descriptions, we simply fix them.

We do decline to list unlistable websites - which include unavailable ones, those heavily under construction, those with plagiarised content and MFAs. The website owner shouldn't be suggesting any of those and presumably is already well aware of their shortcomings :).

jimnoble, Feb 6, 2011 IP
  10. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

NOTE: According to the ADD page (the page you are supposed to follow when submitting that ONE time) if you submit to the wrong category, you can find your suggestion 'rejected or removed' not 'fixed' so that is certainly something to keep in mind.

You can actually get AOL to list your site with several thousand deeplinks if you do not otherwise meet the criteria for a normal listing... this has happened at least once.

Either way, if your site is rejected for ANY reason, you will NOT be told, and then you are seemingly out of luck... unless of course an editor finds your site by some other means, which could be considered luck ;)

Either way, even listable sites getting in pretty much fall down to a crap shoot...there are many things to take into consideration, and most of those are huge variables. Is the editor listed in your category active? Does that editor even use the Unreviewed Queue? Does that editor have something against you? If there is no editor, will one from higher up bother to actually check it out? If there is none higher, will any editor even care about that category? If it is rejected for any reason, and that reason is later fixed will any editor ever find it through other means?

Seems like luck to me... especially since there is positively NO communication.

Qryztufre, Feb 7, 2011 IP
  11. huiz41

huiz41 Active Member

Best Answers:
    if you've previously submitted - is there any way to go back and modify a submitted listing? If you want to re-submit, if there a recommended number of days allowance to wait before doing so?

huiz41, Mar 17, 2011 IP
  12. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    There is form you can use to request changes to your Title and Description.
    I'm sure editors will give you better idea 'how-to' and what need to be done.

:)

fastreplies

fastreplies, Mar 17, 2011 IP
  13. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    If the site is already listed, visit the category, click on the update listing link and follow your nose.
    If the site isn't yet listed, just re-suggest it with the revised details. If in the same category, it'll overwrite the previous one.

One thing you should be aware of: A vanishingly small proportion of suggested titles and descriptions meet our guidelines and we almost invariably have to rewrite them. That's OK because we don't expect non-editors to be fully conversant with them, even though they are publicly available. If you were thinking of fine tuning your suggested text, odds are that it's going to be junked anyway :(. You'd be amazed at the KW stuffed essays that many people write - and that's just the titles.

jimnoble, Mar 17, 2011 IP
  14. huiz41

huiz41 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Jim - it's not too surprising that people would keyword stuff their titles...what is surprising is that those who do it actually think there's a shot at getting in that way.

We have gone over the guidelines a number of times and submitted also in consistency with our recent link that has been accepted into the BOTW.org recently here:

http://botw.org/top/Business/Shopping_and_Services/Health/Nutrition/Supplements/

Hopefully over time the DMOZ.org submission will go through as well.

Thanks for your insight!

huiz41, Mar 18, 2011 IP
  15. athema

athema Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi Again

I have now waited over 7 months to have the site listed in DMOZ (see original post in January) I have had no responses from any DMOZEditor so I'm unsure what else to do? Should I resubmit it again?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Lisa

athema, Aug 16, 2011 IP
  16. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    What would be the point?

If it's still awaiting evaluation, the new listing suggestion would merely overwrite the original - which can be disadvantageous to you.
    If it's already been declined as unlistable, suggesting it again is just a waste of everybody's time.

jimnoble, Aug 16, 2011 IP
  17. athema

athema Guest

Best Answers:
    Jim

How do I know if the listing has been rejected? or even looked at? It was originally added over 5 years ago now and the resubmitted over 7 months ago. So I'm not sure what the problem is. You have to understand that I have been kept in the dark about what the problem is, if there even is one.

Thanks
    Lisa

athema, Aug 17, 2011 IP
  18. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    There is nothing left to do. You have submitted, there is nothing more.

Qryztufre, Aug 17, 2011 IP
  19. athema

athema Guest

Best Answers:
    Soooo, damned if you do and damned if you don't.

sounds like a lot of wasted time to me after all the effort.

Thanks anyway.

Lisa

athema, Aug 18, 2011 IP