1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

3D WebGL based engine for web browser (free beta)

Discussion in 'JavaScript' started by Aexol, Nov 21, 2014.

Hi guys,

I am a mobile developer and I am currently working on a multiplatform game engine. In general the idea behind is:

"One code, many platforms"

The engine should be ready by the end of the year. It will allow users ultra fast coding for many platforms such as Android, iOS, Mac, Linux, Windows (PS4 in the future) with Python or C++.

Meanwhile I have published a WebGL based web version on my engine working on Safari, Chrome & Mozilla (javascript). What do you think about this engine? What are you general expectations? What can I do better? How can I make coding faster, better experience for devs? Free engine downloadable here: http://gl.aexol.com/engine/web/

It would be awesome to hear some feedback from you guys! Take care!

Aexol, Nov 21, 2014 IP
  2. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    It's a shame webgl's performance is so abysmal; though that's just the nature of it at this point given that JavaScript just is a really crappy language for doing this stuff -- that's not your fault though.

I like what I'm seeing, though I was at first thinking the examples were needlessly complicated and convoluted, turned out I just wasn't seeing the comma's from the lack of whitespace. The example code is very unclear due to a lack of good formatting habits -- but once I added a few carriage returns and tabs it seems to do a decent job of implementing a lot of the "grunt work" that webGL kind-of leaves you without.

I think I'll be a lot more interested when you get a C++ version up and running -- I'd REALLY like to see a delphi or FPC port too, but that's just because while I can program C++ (Do it all the time for ATMega and ARM3 devices), after three and a half decades of programming it STILL feels needlessly and pointlessly cryptic.

In some browsers (Opera, Chrome, IE) it's very hard to select the "RUN" button in the live editor -- I was only able to actually run the examples from Firefox... which at least got me the URI to try it in other browsers. You've got what looks like three (uselessly vague) icons but they all take you the same place -- that's bad design; specifically it's "ambiguous UI". A "run" button from the selection page instead of trying to go through the source first would probably be very helpful.

Likewise it might be nice if the site was elastic, semi-fluid and didn't rely on painfully thin goofy webfonts. Severe legibility and accessibility issues. Of course since you're using endless pointless DIV for nothing and non-semantic markup mated to the steaming pile of manure known as bootcrap, well... the accessibility issues are hardly a shock. You might want to find a stick to scrape that off with... particularly since if you're going to be trying to promote a web technology, you might at least bother learning how to use HTML and CSS properly.

One big question, the existing movement code seems to be YP only with gimble lock -- are you implementing full 6DOF freedom at any point? It's one of the most complex things to code and if you included a shortcut for easily implementing that, you may get a lot more developers interested. (I know I would be).

It is a shame input in HTML is such a wreck though -- things like writing HTML games butting heads with browser security.

deathshadow, Nov 24, 2014 IP