1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

302 redirects

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by daboss, Feb 12, 2005.

hi, i maintain a wordpress blog for my wife. i notice that for the past 2-3 months it's been getting lots of comment spam - so i switched all comments to be moderated first.

i just looked at the traffic stats just now and was very surprised to see a large percentage of traffic coming from poker sites. also, what's worrying is that at the bottom of the awstats report, in the error section, it reported many 302 redirect errors.

i read in this forum that 302s are bad. is a 302 error the same? what can i do about it? any help would be appreciated.

btw, there are lots of visits by msn and yahoo bots but ZERO from googlebot.

daboss, Feb 12, 2005 IP
  2. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Sounds like referrer spam to me.
    As for the errors, just check to see if the pages to which you're redirecting actually exist.

302's are not bad at all. They're a legitimate way to tell clients that a page has moved elsewhere. The only time they get bad is if used by a third party with a higher PR to 'hijack' your pages etc.

Cheers,

JL

john_loch, Feb 12, 2005 IP
  3. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    Here's an interesting post on 302s.

ResaleBroker, Feb 12, 2005 IP
  4. daboss

daboss Guest

Best Answers:
    thanks for the responses... how do i know if the blog has been 302 hijacked? i'm fairly certain that i've not setup any 302 redirects myself yet 302 error are appearing in my logs.

daboss, Feb 13, 2005 IP
  5. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:

Yeah, I've read it.
    If there were issues with 302's exclusively, a lot of sites would be toast right now (including several of mine)..

They are standards based after all. :)

Cheers,

JL

john_loch, Feb 13, 2005 IP