1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

301s and moving paths in MSN

Discussion in 'Bing' started by chris7, Aug 1, 2005.

One site I have does particularly well in MSN, and since this is so rare (MSN bringing traffic :) I'd like to keep hold of it after moving some stuff around.

I was going to use redirect 301 /old http://fqdn.com/new or similar to give a proper redirection but haven't had experience on how MSN handles this.

In the past for other engines I've never really maintained the same results after moving directory/page structure around so am wondering if its a good idea at all. One page in particular has some good backlinks and itself brings in a large proportion of traffic.

Will the old URL start to fade from the SERPs slowly and the new one appear over time or does this happen quite quickly in MSN.

Would I be better using a meta refresh or even frame forwarding (Im fully aware of the implications of frames - but at least I'd keep my positioning)

Any ideas appreciated

chris7, Aug 1, 2005 IP
  2. chris7

chris7 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well since noone else has replied I thought I would post my findings.

I thought a 301 would be the best option but it certainly wasn't - The old page completely didn't rank anymore (although was still indexed) and the new page is nowhere near (used to be #2 or #3 - its now ~ #50)

I have also pointed a decent amount of weight at the new URL, it's still taking a long time. In this situation one term alone was bringing 300+ visits per day so I actually lost a fair amount of traffic here.

For anyone else in the same position I would suggest using frame forwarding or even a standard link to the new page, I imagine 301 is still the best for a whole site but for a smaller site with well performing pages the new page being redirected too hasn't performed anywhere near as well yet, the backlinks pointing to the previous URL certainly haven't passed over to the new URL.

chris7, Aug 7, 2005 IP