1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

301 redirects in .htaccess

Discussion in 'Apache' started by Goose_68, May 23, 2005.

Hello all,

I am the webmaster for our company site and we recently changed the majority of our directory tree / link hierarchy for the entire site. It was recommended to me to use 'RedirectMatch 301' and 'Redirect 301' (depending on if I need regex matching) in my .htaccess file to forward all old links to the new ones. It sounds correct, but I wanted to get some other opinions on the proper way to handle this kind of migration. Would mod_rewrite in the .htaccess be better for this, and why?

In addition, we also set up a bunch of 'shortcuts' for our longer urls in the .htaccess file using the same method (redirect 301)... i.e. we might have an Awards page under /about/corp/awards.html but the end user could also just type /awards at the domain and get forwarded to the same page... also useful for advertising URLs in printed matter.
    This would seem better suited for mod_rewrite, but Im wondering if its worth going through and re-doing it... is it *wrong* to use a 301 redirect for these shortcuts? (does it confuse or hinder our search rankings?)

Thanks much to all,
    Goose_68

Goose_68, May 23, 2005 IP
  2. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    I use 301 Redirects for on a regular basis and it works fine for me.

Will.Spencer, May 23, 2005 IP