1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

301 redirect, do i need a web hosting?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by holkapolka, Jul 1, 2015.

Can I do this without buying web hosting, without adding files?

holkapolka, Jul 1, 2015 IP
  2. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I know that Namecheap gives customers the ability to redirect a domain name to another URL in the DNS settings, and I think it is a 301 redirect but am not sure. As far as I know, there is no way to do that using DNS alone. In the Namecheap example, I believe they have a server doing the redirecting.

So you can do a redirect, and possibly a 301 redirect, at Namecheap and possibly other domain registrars without buying hosting. However, if you already have a hosting account, you can easily do that in htaccess.

billzo, Jul 1, 2015 IP
  3. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    As long as the webhost gives you the ability to add DNS-entries with your domain-account, you don't need a webhost. However, if you're gonna do a lot of redirects, this is gonna be really tiresome unless you can upload a file with all the redirects already there - if you're gonna add multiple redirects via the forms in the control panel for your domain, that's gonna take a lot of time.

PoPSiCLe, Jul 1, 2015 IP
  4. KillaKeith

KillaKeith Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Anybody can use NameCheap's FreeDNS service. You don't have to be a customer. Just register and use their nameservers.

KillaKeith, Jul 3, 2015 IP
  5. Selim Rana

Selim Rana Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You don't need a Hosting plan to use 301 redirect as long as you have the authority to make change in DNS .

Selim Rana, Jul 4, 2015 IP
  6. Andy-Jones

Andy-Jones Member

Best Answers:
    Many domain registrars offer redirect option with domain registration, maybe you can look up for that.

Andy-Jones, Jul 4, 2015 IP
  7. Benpick

Benpick Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Some domain registrars offer the service called free forwarding service where you can set the redirect without the paid hosting. Ask your domain registrar for this feature for your domain.

Benpick, Jul 4, 2015 IP