1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

301 permanent redirect

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by clasione, Mar 24, 2005.

I have had alot of people ask me what the difference is between URL forwarding and using a 301 permanent redirect to show that a domain name has moved permanently....

what exactly WOULD be the difference

301 redirect or domain name forwarding - what's the difference.

clasione, Mar 24, 2005 IP
  2. TiGG

TiGG Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe if the forward has less then a 5 second delay its viewed by SEs as a 301 type, if its over 5seconds its viewed as a 302 temp redirect. Is that the question??

TiGG, Mar 24, 2005 IP
  3. ohcnetwork

ohcnetwork Peon

Best Answers:
    301 is a standard code for those who want to and/or need to check the current state of URL; SE bots are certainly ones that need to check the current state of URL. 301, in specific, tell those who check that URL has been moved permanently. Meta redirect, on the other hand, sends no code. Browser responds and redirects the user, but that's all it does.

ohcnetwork, Mar 24, 2005 IP
  4. clasione

clasione Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well, in my experience, I have done both....

I have a 301 redirect from one to the other... Hosting required for .htaccess

but I have also used domain forwarding.... hosting NOT required as registra provides frowarding on parked domains..

Which one it better?

clasione, Mar 24, 2005 IP