1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

3000 links, and still at PR 4, WHY?

Discussion in 'SEO' started by Blogspotter, Sep 26, 2006.

1. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Okay a few points to note,

1. PR is nothing to do with the number of links that you have. 3000 links from 3000 PR3 pages will probably equal a PR4. 1 link from a PR7 page will probably get you a PR5. There's a few other factors mixed up like the number of other outgoing links from the pages, but you get the idea. Either your links are from pages that have lots of other links and they're not passing much PR or you still need more high PR links - it depends on the algorithm.

2. PR has nothing to do with content - full stop.

3. PR has nothing to do with the quality of the site. A PR5 link from Technorati is no better or worse (in terms of PR) than a PR5 link from myMFAspamsite.com

4. When did you do your link building. From my calculations this PR data is at least 6-8 weeks old, so any links added since then aren't included

5. Why are you worried about PR? Are you selling links? If not just concentrate on allinanchor:keyword that's what makes a differnece with strong links from on-topic sites.

MattUK, Sep 29, 2006 IP
  2. Dudibob

Dudibob Peon

Best Answers:
    just to be correct, PR is applied per URL, not per page, for example

www.domain.com - PR 4
    www.domain.com/index.html PR 0

same page, different PR (that's the usual case anyway, doesn't apply to everyone)

and all of MattUK's points are spot on, part from point 4 I feel, have you done testing to show that Matt? I'm interested :)

Dudibob, Sep 29, 2006 IP
  3. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Not really, PR is applied per page rather than URL, the www. issue is caused by a canonical URL problem with Google. It's created when people link to http://domain.com rather than http://www.domain.com or visa versa. It's easily solved by 301 redirecting one to the other.

At any one point in time I have around 5-10 new websites that I've been working on for either myself or clients. I'm not seeing any PR changes on sites that are newer than 8 weeks giving me a 6-8 week window that I'm guessing new links haven't yet either been factored in, or haven't yet propagated across all of the datacentres.

MattUK, Sep 29, 2006 IP
  4. Dudibob

Dudibob Peon

Best Answers:
    That's very true, what I mean is that www.domain.com and www.domain.com/index.html usually have different PR values even tho there the same page which shows that PR is applied per URL and not really per page

PR is a pain!! lol

Dudibob, Oct 2, 2006 IP
  5. Blogspotter

Blogspotter Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I got a PR 5 in the recent update. Yipee

Blogspotter, Oct 3, 2006 IP
  6. Blogspotter

Best Answers:
    @Matt: valid point about the number of outgoings from the site linking to me. I have many links from PR6 sites though.

About the page, the relevance of an incoming link increases immensely if the content of the site if relevant to the site passing the PR.. and the anchor link of course. Which is why I said content. Content matters the most in SEO I believe, which is why Niche sites do so well than general interest ones.

Take this example.

One niche site gets X number of goood links from PR6 sites with anchor text relevangt to the niche.

second general site get X links from PR6 sites but all anchor texts are different topics.. All pr 6 sites are linking to different pages with doifferent topics.

Obviously, site 1 will get a better PR.

Now wasn't it Content?

7. mrj052

mrj052 Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe Google updating Algo. but i'm not sure
    my friend found this problem too.
    try to wait for a while ...

mrj052, Oct 3, 2006 IP
  8. jezza chan

jezza chan Active Member

Best Answers:
    DO you have any Authoritive sites linking to you?

You may have alot of links but what percentage of them are relevant or have high page ranks themselves?

You may need to find some quality links from relevant PR 5 & above to help you kick your own pr higher.

jezza chan, Oct 3, 2006 IP
  9. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No the same PR is value is passed if the site is reated or not. This makes a difference in the value of the link in terms of the increase in your rankings though.

MattUK, Oct 3, 2006 IP
  10. Blogspotter

Best Answers:
    many pr5s and at least 6-7 PR6 :(

11. dam_sid

dam_sid Banned

Best Answers:
    Its not the only metter of no of backlinks its the metter of quality no. of backlinks.

dam_sid, Oct 5, 2006 IP
  12. Blogspotter

Best Answers:
    Uh Huh!! Ok.. Like i said there are some quality back links too..

Blogspotter, Oct 6, 2006 IP