1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

3 way link exchanges

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by driven, Jun 23, 2005.

1. SportsOutlaw

SportsOutlaw Active Member

Best Answers:
    Here is a situation that keeps happening to me.
    I have sites approach me for a link exchange. I check their site's content, look at the pagerank for the home page and the links page and make my decision.
    Then when I add their link, they email me back, thanking me and showing me the site they added my link to. It ends up being a PR0 links page, or better yet, some friggen directory that I was probably already in to begin with.

I would immediately remove my their link and email them telling them. Not anymore. I learned the hard way to wait for them to link to me first if the want a link exchange.

I would rather stick to regular link exchanges, makes it much easier for me to track my links.

SportsOutlaw, Dec 29, 2005 IP
  2. kensmithkw

kensmithkw Peon

Best Answers:
    Thats why i hate 3-ways. There is always one party thats gets more than the other and normally it's the person with 2 sites. The main site gets all of the incoming links and then they link back from some bs site that has no value. To much work for me.

kensmithkw, Dec 29, 2005 IP
  3. kausik

kausik Active Member

Best Answers:
    One way of course is best way to gain SERP. Google can't track any urls because it's not possible. But gaining 200 or more links within 1 month may be harmful to a site because it'll look like sponsor page advertising or text link advertising.

kausik, Dec 30, 2005 IP
  4. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    minstrel, Dec 30, 2005 IP
  5. eWESTPost

eWESTPost Peon

Best Answers:
    n00b question:
    Won't be better if aaa.mysite.com link to yoursite.com &
    xxx.yoursite.com link to mysite.com, in terms of avoiding recip penaulty? (if any)

eWESTPost, Dec 30, 2005 IP
  6. minstrel

Best Answers:
    What "recip penaulty"?

7. eWESTPost

eWESTPost Peon

Best Answers:
    hehe..sorry for typo.
    reciprocal penalty

8. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Sorry. I wasn't commenting on the spelling. I was commenting on the concept. What evidence do you see that a "reciprocal penalty" exists?

9. eWESTPost

eWESTPost Peon

Best Answers:
    I too not sure if it exist and haven't seen for myself, but heard a lot about it lately.
    Assuming google may put a curb on reciprocal links, if it is from different subdomains - since SEs treat sub as different domains - then they may not fall under the reciprocal category?

10. minstrel

Best Answers:
    IF Google wished to penalize or devalue reciprocal links per se, I don't think subdomains would protect you. I don't think reciprocal linking is an issue, though.

11. onedollar

onedollar SEO Consultant for Hire

Best Answers:
    Rather than doing 3-way link exchanges, wouldn't it be a good idea to have your own network of sites ? This way you can have better control.

onedollar, Dec 30, 2005 IP
  12. topsites

topsites Guest

Best Answers:
    I find in my case, over time I did build my own little network of sites but one has to be careful in the interpretation here... The network isn't really mine, only my site belongs to me, it just happens the links were hand-built, over time a bunch of people and myself have linked to each other on our own accord. But yeah, it wasn't left up to some link management device or what have you, it was one link at a time, carefully reviewed sites, and so on.

I run into some of these so-called networks, some are as few as 3-4 or 5 sites, others are as large as 100 or whatever, but it's what I call an artificial network... Meaning it's all just inter-linked bs belonging to ONE person, and as a general rule, multi-site networks of this kind do not excite me, thou there are a few kick tail.

But to address your post, I find building your own network is the only way to go, if that helps.
    A good example of a guy built his own network (and IMO does very well) is the guy owns Internet tips and secrets.
    I find what helped is he paid attention so most of his stuff is pretty good, and that makes all the difference in the world.
    That, and it's his own, he built it all, he didn't copy or steal it, you can tell because the entire network of sites has the mark of his presence, and it's not bs.

topsites, Dec 30, 2005 IP
  13. NikkiBlue

NikkiBlue Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This happened to me last week. I agreed to a 3 way link exchange with a PR4 site and my link was put on a PR0 page.:mad: 3 Way link exchanges are too difficult to manage. I'd rather exchange old fashioned reciprocal links with sites within my niche.
    Most site owners arent familiar with the concept, which makes it even more difficult.

NikkiBlue, Jan 2, 2006 IP
  14. SportsOutlaw

SportsOutlaw Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am just simply declining them when they hit my email. Not gonna waste my time worrying whether my links are staying up or not.

SportsOutlaw, Jan 2, 2006 IP
  15. minstrel

Best Answers:
    (1) that's all you need to do, and (2) if they are in your "niche' that probably means they are also relevant to your website - it's highly unlikely that you'll have any problems with that strategy as long as you stay away from the major sleaze ball sites.

minstrel, Jan 2, 2006 IP
  16. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    I think reciprical links are devalue just based on the fact that a year or two ago, I would trade a bunch of links and my sites rankings would rise in google, and now if I trade a bunch of links my rankings don't tend rise a lot in google

At first I thought it was just because the links were new, but I lost rankings on a lot of older sites that have lots of reciprical links in last google update.

I built a 3way link site , to trade 3 way links on my new sites, to test if it makes any difference. I am going to start advertising it tonight in 6 months I should have really strong answer on wether google values one way links more.

Also yahoo and msn love reciprical links so, I keep trading lots of them

ferret77, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  17. minstrel

Best Answers:
    That may depend more on where those links are coming from, who you are trading with, and the relevance of those links to your site.

minstrel, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  18. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    Thats all possible too, but if you look at the top ranked sites, some have relevant backlinks and some don't

ferret77, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  19. minstrel

Best Answers:
    No doubt. I suspect one of the factors is the ratio of relevant to unrelated links. Another factor is that you are talking about newly added backlinks, I assume.

minstrel, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  20. Christina Bold

Christina Bold Member

Best Answers:
    Hey everybody!

I have 4 travelling related sites and Images, Footage, Software related with PR 3-5, some are in DMOZ. If interested, pm, I'll be glad to exchange links with you.

Regards
    :)

Christina Bold, Mar 20, 2008 IP