1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

3 Reasons You Shouldn't Rush to Install Chrome

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lightlysalted, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Most new browser or software products have significant bugs or security flaws that need to be ironed out and these only get discovered when they are released to the general public. Look at Microsoft, who are notourious for doing this and leave consumers open to hacking attacks.

2. Do we really need an open source web browser and will providing one simply mean that unscrupulous hackers will try to exploit unknowledgeable internet users?

3. We already have I.E and Firefox which seem to serve internet users effectively, why do we need a third web browser, won't this just overly complicate the market and mean that web designers will have to design sites that are compatible and easily viewed within three web browsers rather than just the one?

The clever people will give it 6 months before downloading the browser to enable major problems to be rectified with the software. It's never a good idea to download new browsers or software straight away.

lightlysalted, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  2. dburdon

dburdon Peon

Best Answers:
    Lightlysalted,

I'm not overly keen either. Do I really want Google to know everything about my web activity? The browser closes some of the gaps not covered by their search, adsense, adwords and Doubleclick products.

dburdon, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  3. Abhik

Abhik ..:: The ONE ::..

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I totally agree with you..
    I'd wait till I hear some user experience.

Abhik, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  4. lightlysalted

lightlysalted Active Member

Best Answers:
    Totally agree, Google has enough information on us already, and whilst i'm not paranoid, it makes sense to be cautious about giving any organisation too much information about your online habits. I think it just pays to see what the response is of those who would class themselves as "Innovators" and try the product as soon as it comes out, i'd rather they make the mistakes first and then I can learn from it.

5. newbie3

newbie3 Peon

Best Answers:
    i will never use Chrome... i need privacy

newbie3, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  6. lightlysalted

lightlysalted Active Member

Best Answers:
    Abhik, as soon as you hear any feedback on Chrome, would be interested in hearing your perspective on it, I know that you post here regularly and seem to have a good grasp of what is going on.

7. vjlenin

vjlenin Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think there are too many paranoids here. At least in my case, I am a nobody and by knowing my whereabouts Google can do nothing. They won't come and kill me for being ME. Haha. please don't think they will encroach your privacy, they at least have a privacy policy and google is not above any law, friends.

vjlenin, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  8. anujbux

anujbux Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    if everyone say this then who is going to try this :)

i think this Firefox will have to survive for this launch. because FF got the market just because of the hpe made by google and google referral. correct me if I'm wrong. all the fetures in FF are originally invented by opera and opera is still far beyond.

I'm going to try chrome atleast for a week. it may have bugs but hackers cant find it within 1 week i think.

anujbux, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  9. angilina

angilina Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah we are using FF and I am quite happy with FF, but I will still download Chrome just to see what the future bowser looks like :)

angilina, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  10. guest

guest Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I will try it as soon as its available for download :)
    by the way few of the chrome features (for those who missed reading them)
    Google Chrome Features:

* JavaScript, V8 Virtual Machine
    * Special Tabs specially for Google Chrome
    * Auto-completion address bar
    * Speed Dial feature by Google Chrome
    * Privacy mode
    * Security to fight malware and phishing attempts

guest, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  11. ThisIsOli

ThisIsOli Active Member

Best Answers:
    have anyof you actually looked at what google is doing here?

By throwing in a browser that run multiple process threads for every item and page loaded they are basically making all other web browsers obsolete, I did a simplified write up on my tech site

First off - Firefox is pretty much Open Source.

Secondly - If a Java script crashes in IE or Firefox it takes out the entire browser application, in Chrome it only closes the tab/window you have open.

Current browsers when loaded open up a single memory block and modify it as they open/close applications. With multiple process you have multiple memory blocks which are closed and opened, not one singlular memory block modified in size.

This basically means you are drastically reducing memory used by the browser, and practically elmiinating the browser overload (Where you use a browser all day and eventually have 200-300MB memory usage even when only viewing one page)

Then you have to consider the new Java API google is using, which should significatnly reduce browser crashes.

For the record Microsoft products are no more vunerable than any other piece of software to hacking attacks, the difference is more people use Microsoft products so they are targetted more often.

I suggest you take a look at the google book written on Chrome before launching an uniformed attack on the software.

Sure give it a few weeks before making it your sole browser, but this isn't just another web browser, they have re-written how web browsers work from the ground up.

ThisIsOli, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  12. guest

guest Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Its already very clear here http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/fresh-take-on-browser.html

and for new readers (who missed to read this) don't miss to check @ http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/

guest, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  13. MikePrice

MikePrice Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not download so far, wait until there is positive news and it is better then FF.

MikePrice, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  14. scentless

scentless Peon

Best Answers:
    Whoa, I read the comic, I'm hooked!!!!!!!!:D

scentless, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  15. d3sign3r

d3sign3r Active Member

Best Answers:
    Its launching today, Im gonna install and see what happens..
    will also blog about about the privacy issues (if any)..

cheers

d3sign3r, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  16. irunbackwards

irunbackwards Peon

Best Answers:
    LoL, I don't know why in the world anyone would ever need something new of something!

(Do you really think IE and Firefox are the only two browsers out there? ... Both of them are 3rd generations of 3rd generations of 3rd generations of an ancient web browser.

irunbackwards, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  17. mooseweb

mooseweb Banned

Best Answers:
    Privacy? What do you have to hide? They already know everything...

I already use it and love it, guys it's the fastest browser there is, and it's functionality is incredible.

This thing has been bug tested for months, so there is little to none and everyone knows that, although no one wants to admit this is a good browser.

mooseweb, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  18. kye172

kye172 Peon

Best Answers:
    Whys everyone so concerned about privacy? It's bloody open source

I'm on it now, and I for one welcome our new masters LOL

kye172, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  19. stompergames

stompergames Peon

Best Answers:
    A lot of people use Gmail for email. Most people use Google to search for practically everything. Some people use Google docs to share documents.

There really isn't anything Google could learn at this point that it already doesn't know.

stompergames, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  20. enous

enous Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    oh, sorry , I had installed the Chrome..

enous, Sep 2, 2008 IP