1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

3 billion emails legal?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Buildadude, Dec 27, 2009.

1. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    If they're calling it "double opt in", they're spammers. If they were a legit company, the correct and preferred term is "confirmed opt in." Big difference.

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opt_in_e-mail

theapparatus, Jan 1, 2010 IP
  2. lcwadminbj

lcwadminbj Peon

Best Answers:

I take personal offence at your statement, as I am sure many genuine marketers and service providers like myself will.

I use double opt in for my mailing lists and I have NEVER spammed anyone.

Double opt in IS the same as Confirmed opt in.
    No matter what terminology you use the person signing up MUST confirm they asked to be added to the list.
    This is done to prevent buttheads with a grudge adding people to mailing lists just to P*ss them off.

lcwadminbj, Jan 1, 2010 IP
  3. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    That's nice. Please explain to me why that's important? Would you like me to point you to the RFCs I've written? If you're using the wrong term to describe what you do, that's not my fault. Go read the article that I linked to.

Ignorance is not an excuse nor can it be used to justify incorrect action.

That's nice. Do you know how many times I've heard that over the years?

Nope, and if you had actually read the article I had linked to, you would have figured that out. If you caqn't be bothered to do so, please kindly don;t waste the time of those who are trying to actually help around here.

Confirmed opt in is the correct term created by those who wrote up the RFCs that help govern the net.

Double opt in was created by spammers in an attempt to show that it was overkill for what confirmed optin.

Now that I agree with.

May I suggest that you may want to think about what term you are using? The use of "double optin" brings you and your company down to the level of spammers. You may not think it does but its like wearing the wrong colors when you walk through gang territory.

Just because you think the term is correct doesn't mean it is so.

theapparatus, Jan 1, 2010 IP
  4. lcwadminbj

lcwadminbj Peon

Best Answers:
    I read the article you referred to BEFORE responding.

this statement from the article, Quote "where a new subscriber to an e-mail list gets a confirmation e-mail telling them they will begin to receive e-mails if they take no action.."unqote" is to put it politly a load of hogwash.

The Autoresponders in use today all require that the confirmation link in the first email be Clicked on BEFORE the subscriber is added to the list and can receive any emails.

This is a copy of the first email sent when someone initally subscribes.
    Note the part I highlighted in red

Dear $first_name

Please confirm that you want to receive $list_name.
    This request has been sent from $ip.

You provided the following information:

Your email address: $email
    Your first name: $first_name
    Your last name: $last_name

To confirm this request, please click on the link below. If you did not want to receive this information, then do nothing.

$CONFIRM_URL

Thank you

$SIGNATURE

This is the industry standard with slightly varying wording in the part in red.
    As an example I change that bit to read
    "If you did not request this information, then do nothing just delete this email."

As long as that $Confirm_URL is not clicked on then the person will never receive the actual inital welcome email, which please note also gives the person the option to terminate the emails as does every subsequent email ever sent to them.

Dear $first_name,

This message confirms your email address $email and ip $ip to receive $list_name.

The following information has been verified:

Your email address: $email
    Your first name: $first_name
    Your last name: $last_name

If you do not want to continue receiving this information, please click the link below to be removed:

$UNSUBSCRIBE_LINK

Thank you

$SIGNATURE

That is a nasty insinuation - you do not know me and have no right to insunuate I am a liar.

My clients can confirm they get very little email from me - unlike the so called "Guru's" (wait while i go and wash my mouth out with soap and water for using that filthy swear word) that send 2, 3, and even 10 emails a day to their lists.

You want to talk about spam lets talk about the people that really give honest people a bad name - the so called "Guru's" (darn that soap tastes awful) those are the ones that do not honor remove requests, or, they remove you from the list but add you to another without your permission.

lcwadminbj, Jan 2, 2010 IP
  5. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    Dude, whatever. You're on my ignore list and I've gone ahead and I've blocked your domains and IP addresses from my servers.

When you decide to follow the same rules as the rest of the net, feel free to let us know. Until then, I don't want your traffic on my racks. I don;t think me or my clients will be missing anything.

theapparatus, Jan 2, 2010 IP
  6. DubDubDubDot

DubDubDubDot Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually, the Wiki article does say that double opt-in is used as an alternative phrase for confirmed opt-in.

---
    Confirmed opt-in (COI)
    A new subscriber asks to be subscribed to the mailing list, but unlike unconfirmed opt-in, a confirmation e-mail is sent to verify it was really them. Many believe the person must not be added to the mailing list unless an explicit step is taken, such as clicking a special web link or sending back a reply e-mail. This ensures that no person can subscribe someone else out of malice or error. Mail system administrators and non-spam mailing list operators refer to this as confirmed subscription or closed-loop opt-in.
    Some marketers call closed loop opt-in "double opt-in."

---

DubDubDubDot, Jan 2, 2010 IP
  7. lcwadminbj

lcwadminbj Peon

Best Answers:
    What a childish reaction to someone that points out facts and has a differing opinion to your statements.

I though these forums were for discussion and debate, as well as giving advice.

Obviously you hold the position of "agree with me or I wont talk to you"
    Not a very good stance to hold as agreement can not be reached when one party refuses to communicate.

I have used the term Double opt in as that is unfortunatly the term most people understand thanks to the people they have learned from the so called , (Again we come back unfortunatly to the nasty five letter word), "Guru's"

lcwadminbj, Jan 3, 2010 IP
  8. lcwadminbj

lcwadminbj Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you DubDubDubDot for pointing that out.
    However You may well be the next in line to be blocked by theapparatus for doing so. It is apparent he does not like opinions that do not agree 100% with his.

lcwadminbj, Jan 3, 2010 IP